360 - Fishing wires through front trunk to passenger cabin. | FerrariChat

360 Fishing wires through front trunk to passenger cabin.

Discussion in '360/430' started by vrawlani, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    I'm trying to install a new amplifier in my 360. The amp is too large to fit anywhere in the passenger cabin, so I have to place it the front trunk and pass wire through the front firewall. The wire are not small. I have one 4 gauge, two 10 gauge and ten 14 gauge wires. Any thoughts on passing the wires? Thanks!

hessank likes this.
  2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the wire of the cd changer would pass thought the firewall to the cabin, follow that
    also the frunk's fuse boxes's harness are going to the cabin.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    The standard wiring harnesses go through a big hole in the centre of the bulkhead. The frunk fuse box harnesses also go through there. The fuse box harnesses snake through a frame section forward of the main bulkhead and over to the big hole in the centre.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

From the wiring diagrams (harness B)

You can see how the fuse box harness (A) joins up with harness B here:

Note: I haven't had any practical experience with this. Others may have better ideas.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Borrow a set of fibreglass cable rods from an electrician, or buy a set as cheap enough. They are flexible rods about 6 mm diameter and useful to fit cables into tight spaces.

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    in the home theater business they are known as "glow" rods

the best ones are only 3.5 - 4.0 mm in diameter

some are green fiberglass and some are white

the thinner ones curve and bend better being thinner and an easier push through tight grommets

you can also rub candle wax on them a bit, and then they will pass through the grommets with very little resistance

6. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    @GCalo @mike32 @Qavion @24000rpm Thanks to everyone. This is awesome advice. I found the access points and I happened to have the fishing rods because I just did some network wiring at my house. I got the rods through and passed a few wires. However, I realized that I not need to pass 4 RCA pairs instead of 1 so I'm afraid I cannot pass that many wires. I'm thinking I'll put the amps under the seats. I'm trying to figure out what kind of clearance I will have. It's hard to measure. Thanks again!

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    be careful of heat under the seat from the amp

if you can solder you can pass the wiring and then resolder

8. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    ah, yes. i did ask the amp manufacturer about that and they did not have and recommended distances from the amp to other surface.

i can solder a wire. there is no way i could solder firewall. i hope you're referring to the former. i didn't think about that

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It sure beats a broom handle

10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    If you can solder well then you can feed audio coax cable through the rubber grommet and then solder te RCA plugs on both ends

you could even cut the RCA's off one end of preformed quality cable and then solder RCA's on that other end

11. vrawlani

vrawlani Rookie

Sep 4, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vinay Rawlani
    Sweet. I did something similar for my home audio system when I placed wires in the wall. I have a tool that attach the RCA tip if for some reason my soldering is not working.

Thanks!

12. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    just take your time

not a major process

carefully control the heat on the tip of the RCA jack so the insulation is not heat deformed

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This should not be a problem. Just run them through the large grommet in the center of the firewall. Poke another hole in it if you have to.
    I'm running six pairs of thick, twisted pair RCA cables and 6 16 gage (amp turn on) wires through the center grommet with no issues.

Qavion likes this.