Fix Slow Windows on 78 GTS Us | FerrariChat

Fix Slow Windows on 78 GTS Us

Discussion in '308/328' started by bl10, Sep 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    I'm going to clean the window motor gear boxes shortly and figure I should add the extra switch relays to improve them even more. I have read all the threads and it seems like an easy mod using Paul's schematic. My question is two fold.
    1. Since a 78 GTS has 3 window switches, two in the drivers door and one in the passenger door I assume I need 2 relays for each switch totaling 6 relays.
    2. I can't remember the exact pin out of the 78 window switches. Is it the same as Paul's schematic with two wires to the switch and move 12v Batt to relay?

Paul's schematic
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, you only need 2 relays for each window motor. In Paul's diagram, the wires labeled "Window Switch" can (should) be called "The stock wires that were going directly to the Window Motor before" (for models like yours that have 2 window switches controlling the Passenger side window motor).

3. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    So I would just connect the wires from the drivers side passenger rocker sw to the new relays on the passenger side. (Wiring it the same as the passenger side rocker switch.) That makes sense.

Thanks
    Barry.

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, you would connect the stock wires that presently go to the window motor on each side to its two added relays (it doesn't matter where they come from).

5. Rilez

Rilez Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    RILEY
    Need to do this as well. Was hoping to get to it this weekend along with gear oil.

Hey, noticed you're in Chatsworth... lemme know if you want to tag team on this job.

6. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Have you already replaced the factory fuseblocks? Replacing mine (with those from Turtle Farmer) made a significant difference in window motor performance, which was really unexpected.

7. Rilez

Rilez Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    RILEY
    Also on my To Do list!

8. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Steve
    I found some wiring diagrams for both the drivers side passenger window rocker switch and the passenger side window switch and if the diagram is correct the drivers side passenger window rocker sw is not wired directly to the passenger window motor but through the passenger side rocker sw. So it would seem that I don't have to make any changes to the drivers side passenger window rocker sw and only have to connect the passenger side motor leads to the relays. Does this sound correct.

Thanks for your help.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rilez likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes.

10. bl10