fixing non-leather headliner in 360 | FerrariChat

fixing non-leather headliner in 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by wheelman76, Dec 11, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I noticed some bubbles on the foam headliner in my 360 and wondering what one would do for fixing that? Is it a full on remove and replace? Anyone have a lead on a place that would get a leather one done? I would be open to moving over to that if it made more sense. Did some searches on here and only saw a few leather replacement threads, nothing for the foam...

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I re-did my leather headliner a few months back, I used the stock headliner, Joann Fabrics headliner for the cushion, and 3M headliner adhesive. If you want to upgrade to leather, I would suggest getting a high quality hide and cutting it down to size (I would leave a bit to trim off when you see how the trim pieces fit) and use that. It's a messy job but doable. I'm not a pro but I'm not aware of any avenue you could take that doesn't involve removing the headliner itself.

3. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I guess I am also wondering the options of replacing the non-leather one I have with the same piece again? I'll say when you touch it it compresses and doesn't really bounce back for a while which makes me think that stuff will be a mess removing and if that's the case then replacing with the same thing doesn't seem wise....

4. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I also have a non leather headliner in my 430. At first, it fell down partially. I tried to put some headliner adhesive on it and put it back up. It was easy to put in place with a DULL plastic putty knife. It held for about a week, but then fell again. So I took the whole thing down. As soon as I get the car back from the dealership doing the F1 actuator rebuild, I’ll try again, using that Joann stuff and some 3M headliner adhesive. The one thing I plan on doing is to prop it up with something soft and shape conforming to hold it up while drying. Obviously not enough pressure to push and bend the outer roof panel.
    Personally I’m tired of having to fix things on this car that never happened to any other car I’ve owned and there’s been plenty.
    RANT OVER !!!!!
    Good Luck To Y’all

5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I re-did mine with leather. Also did the back firewall. It looks much much better. I have half a Hyde left of beige. PM me, I can sell you back a piece. I don’t have a picture of it installed but a few pics of the process.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The ticket is alcantera headliner like the Challenge Stradale.

There are 3M adhesives and then there are 3M Adhesives. You need the right one.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    There are a lot of companies that sell headliner upholstery products online (and very affordable). The stuff that they sell has the foam already on the back and there a a bunch of colors to choose from. The key is removing the headliner board and getting it totally clean of the old deteriorated foam backed headliner. Use a good contact cement-- the old caustic stuff-- and it will be fine. I have used the contact cement that the Formica guys use with great results.

Good luck, regards, Ken

8. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    i just had a really well regarded high end upholstery shop redo mine as part of my restoration. I chose a black alcantara (suede). There were several other options of materials.

old piece after the cloth had completely fallen down and i'd manually removed most of the foam so it would stop falling on my head:

new piece:

finished product installed:

I need better lighting for better pictures whenever the grey skies go away.

Anyways - i had the shop save the templates and they can produce them for anyone who is interested. I have no commercial interest but just wanted to pass along the info.

it's a semi-flexible headliner material that then has a rubber back suede permanently glued to it. it is cut to the exact dimensions needed for the 360 and has the right flexibility to adhere to the curve of the roof. It can be held in place with a really strong body tape (which is what my shop used) or he recommended a 100% silicone caulk.

cost as produced was $250, plus applicable shipping/tax for the version produced for me.

Company is Gladstone Auto Trim
    http://www.gladstoneautotrim.com
    (816)468-4007 or [email protected]

tell him Eric sent you for the Ferrari headliner and he'll know exactly what you're talking about.

brian.s and one4torque like this.