Fixing warped 348 spider door trim ? | FerrariChat

Fixing warped 348 spider door trim ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by polivier, May 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. polivier

polivier Rookie

Aug 20, 2013
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Pierre Olivier
    Hi everyone !
    Anyone has an idea on how to fix warped door trims on a 1994 348 spider ?
    that would be the leather-covered ferrari parts 636251 and 636254.

The horizontal portion of the trim no longer makes a clean 90 degree angle with the vertical portion, rather it now sits a roughly 45 degrees, leaving a noisy & unsightly gap between window / door frame and the trim.

From the looks of it, it seems to be fiberglass (or some form of yellowish primed plastic);
    disassembling the trim and trying to true it with heat will only work if the material is some form of pliable plastic.

I know that there are some aftermarket carbon fiber trims available, but I would prefer to keep the original look & feel. So open to replacement OEM (likely pricy), fixing the existing part or replacing part with something else (leather-covered injection molded, part, etc.) I only need the trim itself, I have access to an upholsterer to change the leather covering.

Awaiting your stories / suggestions !

Regards.

Pierre.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You will probably have to take the leather off, fix the fiberglass underneath, then recover it.

3. Mark S. Cohen

Mark S. Cohen Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Probably way too late on a response but just got done dealing with that issue on my 348 Spyder. If you remove the leather from the actual plastic/fiberglass piece, you can use a quality heat gun on high and evenly heat the top of you piece and bend it as far as you need to make it fit back in the groove of the metal at the top of inner door. Heat a lot, bend a little and hold until it cools. Just do a little at a time until you achieve a perfect fit.

John_K_348 and ernie like this.
  4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Good find. Mine was heading that way until "you know when." Window tint and any kind of sun visor you can use is good for the interior. I had tint installed on week 1 on my Quadrifoglio and use a visor both front and rear when parked out doors. The headrests in the back make a nice support for the rear. Garage and cover whenever possible.