Flatbed towing | FerrariChat

Flatbed towing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dhs-9, Nov 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Do you think it is better to put in a tow hook and winch on flatbed or drive it on.

I would think if you winch you could control its speed and watch for contact with truck as it goes up

what do you think drive or winch.

2. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Winch it on all the way. On most flat decks the bed goes up on too steep of an angle and I would not like to drive it on. Winching is done at a very slow speed with lots of time for the operator to see what's going on and that everything clears. Much safer IMO.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree with V12.

If you do drive it on, you shouldn't go higher than 4th gear. :D

4. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    And no launch control if so equipped.

5. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 etip, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Use the flatbed's winch. Hook to the tow ring under the front valance. The driver can get the bed at an angle where the cable won't rub on your car, then use some boards (if needed) to lessen the angle. They can pull it right up, all the way on with no rubbing at all.

Hope this helps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    For those about to tow, I salute you. For an F 355, on a standard flatbed, it takes 2 boards under the front tires to make the lip of the flatbed without contact. Use soft straps, leave the tow-hook in place, (connected to the tow-cable), chock the wheels, and put it in neutral.Talked to a flatbed driver who tows exotics....he had a special flatbed with a different lip that is curved to accommodate low nosed-cars. Very nice. He also chooses to soft-strap the frame, not the front wheels, but will soft strap the rear wheels. Next time I will not use AAA. They had a mechanical error with their transmission, and my brick driveway has an oil stain the size of a large pizza now. Goddamit. Their truck broke down right after my car got to the dealership and off the flatbed. Close one. Wouldn't want my 355 on the side of the turnpike for 4 hours.