Flavio: Don't rule out Alonso at Ferrari again | FerrariChat

Flavio: Don't rule out Alonso at Ferrari again

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Jun 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Flavio (his manager) is testing the waters...

If they dumped Vettel I could see it. At this minute I think Kimi has a better chance to stay at Ferrari next year than Vettel. If the FIA bans Vettel for one race Ferrari is going to be even more livid.

'Don't exclude a Ferrari return for Alonso' | PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

Fernando Alonso could yet return to Ferrari next season; that’s according to his manager Flavio Briatore.

Alonso left Ferrari at the end of the 2014 season, frustrated that his five years with the team had yielded just three runner-up results.

But with his move to McLaren failing to offer up even that, the Spaniard is looking elsewhere for 2018.

And Briatore reckons Ferrari are still on option as the Spaniard’s only issue was with former team boss Marco Mattiacci.

“He always got along with everyone and only had problems with Mattiacci,” the manager told Italian radio Rai.

“In this life you cannot exclude anything.

“Fernando is a bit like Senna, who had no problem with any team – he only needs a car capable of winning.”

Ferrari, though, isn’t Alonso’s only option with Briatore admitting that “Red Bull and Force India can have good races, as we saw in Baku.”

2. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Oh this should be a fun thread.

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #3 DeSoto, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Nothing extraordinary. Briatore just trying to fix the wreck he helped to make 3 years ago.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Bernie Ecclestone has suggested the exact same thing:

Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says Ferrari should re-sign Fernando Alonso for 2018 if Kimi Riakkonen is not kept on by the Scuderia, Spanish newspaper ABC claim.

Alonso's future is the subject of much speculation with his contract at McLaren-Honda expiring at the end of the season and the Spaniard saying he will only remain with the team if they can show by September they will be race winners next year.

Asked who Ferrari should sign if they have a vacant seat, Ecclestone was quoted as saying: "Alonso, for sure.

"He's one of the best drivers I ever met in Formula 1."

(Full story [in Spanish] : Fórmula 1: Ecclestone aconseja a Ferrari cambiar a Raikkonen por Alonso )

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    And that is the difference - Senna, like Schumacher, can develop a car.

Alonzo.... not so sure.

And of course they will say there are other interests, even when there are none.

I think Alonzo needs to simply walk away from F1, like so many others,
    he was great - at one time.

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Ferrari fires Vettel this year. NONE!!

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You put that so nicely ...

It's true that Flavio being his manager, he should bear most of the criticism against Alonso when it comes to making career decisions.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But what about Raikkonen though ...

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Kimi is the target, I would believe. It won't make Seb happy to have Fernando there. Fernando can wring the neck of an inferior car and get everything out of it...I'd imagine he's chomping at the bit to get behind the wheel of a capable car.

10. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    for a manager to come out and make statements like this, makes me think he is trying to up the ante for Alonso from other teams. I doubt Mercedes or Ferrari are willing to discuss contracts while in the middle of a championship run, Red Bull is probably not interested, Renault and Williams are the only teams that are probably reaching out at the moment, and my money would be on Renault.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    He would have to publicly criticise the car to get fired.

Heck Ferrari didn't even fire MS after he took out Villeneuve, so Vettel is not going to be fired.
    Pete

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think he'll go to Renault, but all this racket is just Flavio doing his job as a manager. He's drumming up business to get attention of everyone for what is a soon-to-be-available driver so he can get both the highest dollar and best seat for his guy. If he was passive and waited for an offer, his driver would probably miss out.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If Alonso goes to Renault (a very sensible decision that would be), he probably can say good bye to his "Triple Crown" ambition for a while, I suspect.

I guess Renault wouldn't be interested in releasing him from a GP to race at Indy.
    Unless ... it's part of his contract, maybe?

But that would be a massive boost to F1 if Alonso managed to turn Renault around and bring it in the winners circle.
    That would be worth watching !

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why not? Just stick a label on a Dallara and call it a Nissan -- with Honda engine! :)

McLaren did it.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, but only a desperate Zak Brown would agree to that.

Renault is in F1, not in Indycar.

16. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Yup, the stupidity to suggest otherwise is complete BS.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think Vettel is right now on "probation" at Ferrari. If he screws up that badly again they will start shopping elsewhere for next year. It will look like they are shopping to replace Kimi but it might be him. They will delay his contract negotiations for "technical reasons".

And, he did screw up badly in Baku.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It was a JOKE!

19. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Not happening IMO, not even close. He's arguably the best driver out there, maybe #2, he can likely do whatever he wants with almost no chance of getting axed. He's "passionate/emotional" I would think the freaking Italians are ok with his outbursts.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You forget one thing.

Being the best driver and winning championships are often two different things. If it looks like he continues to screw up or can't handle the pressure, he's gone.

How many "passionate" Italian drivers are there in F1 now -- or ever? You have to go back to the 60's!

21. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    Renault is at that point where a quality driver could probably turn things around for them and make them a podium contender.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. Alonso dragged his Ferrari around and now is doing the same thing a McLaren. At Renault he could, with a good enough car, win some races.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Disagree. Hulkenberg can race with the best of them, no one will out perform him in that car. A really great teammate like Alonso will challenge him and up the ante, Palmer unfortunately is not that teammate.

24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The problem I see is that when Webber left Red Bull, the car was crap the following year. I wondered if perhaps Vettel was not so adept at helping to develop a car. With Vettel going to Ferrari, my sense is that Raikkonen is heavily relied upon for car development and Vettel turns up on raceday to run as best he can with the car.

Alonso is widely regarded as one of the best racers on the grid, but again I wonder how adept he is at developing a car... otherwise, Jenson Button would not have been so valuable to McLaren.

If Alonso was to go to Ferrari, I have a feeling that he would have to displace Vettel, not Raikkonen. Ferrari really need Raikkonen or someone else who can really give clear technical feedback to the engineers. I don't think you'd see a Vettel-Alonso pairing precisely because you'd then have two very good racers who aren't the best developers of cars - and Ferrari needs someone who can develop well.

I think Raikkonen's contract will be extended for another year. Alonso, if he gets into another competitive car, might want to go to Mercedes (if Bottas or Hamilton leave) or Renault (if they fire Palmer and get their act together). I think a return to Renault is the most likely, in the hope that they solve their engine woes quicker than McLaren/Honda.

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Interesting, well reasoned commentary. I've never thought of Kimi as a development driver, just an incredible talent--like Ronnie Peterson he is so fast he can out drive the issues. I think that Alonso does have skills as a development driver. Seb certainly goes through the motions though he may not have the chops.