Floor jack/cross-beam | FerrariChat

Floor jack/cross-beam

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 302Tim, Jul 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #1 302Tim, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Done a lot of work lately on rear of TR, and usually requires wheels off. So I do the two-scissor jack shuffle making sure I don't twist the frame and crack window(s). Not much room on the sides so its a real PITA going back/forth raising a little at a time. I have intended to buy a welder and fabricate a lifting device as Mel did here http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/304253-diy-rear-lift-tool-prevent-cracked-windows.html but still have not got around to it.

Shopping at Harbor Freight Tools recently, I found a similar cross-beam that mounts on a floor jack. It's made by Pittsburgh Mfg. and carries PN 60762. The arms telescope out and the pads screw up/down for a multitude of adjustments. I purchased and tried it on my Craftsman 2-ton jack and it would not fit under the back of the TR. The top of the standard Craftsman jack pad, when fully collapsed is ~5". When I went to return it I also looked at low-profile jacks. Pittsburgh has several, I decided to try PN 68050 before I gave up on the cross beam. This jack pad saddle height on this one is 2-5/8".

This setup is sweet. Collapsed it clears the back of the TR valence by ~2". It adjusts to the proper horizontal width to contact both frame rails securely without contacting the exhaust or any other sub-structure. It will not extend wide enough to reach the Ferrari-recommended body lift points, they are waaaay too far forward to reach from the rear. The jack will raise to 23-3/4", plus the height of the cross-beam, ~3-1/2" with pads down, ~5-1/2" with them full up (have not tried). I lifted the back with the pads fully down and raised easily and well high enough to remove the wheels, it will go plenty high. Of course always use jack stands when working underneath. For reference my TR is stock height and currently OEM exhaust. Both the jack and cross-beam have a 2-ton/4K lb. capacity.

I rarely raise the front and I'm very skeptical this will go back far enough to contact the forward frame rails (~31" from front lip of spoiler). The actual jack structure will clear the bottom of the spoiler by 1/4", I'll take a better look when I can roll the car out. If not, for me at least it is worth the cost to be able to quickly/simply/effortlessly jack the rear.

I always buy Harbor Freight tools with the knowledge they are not world-class but I am definitely first-impressed with the design/fit/finish/construction of both of these items and recommend them. The jack was $142.99 (Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack) and the cross-beam $39.99 (Floor Jack Cross Beam). Harbor Freight regularly has 10/20% coupons (or more) so you should be able to pick these up pretty cheap. Happy lifting!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thats awesome. I know what I am getting when I get home.

Question, when is the threat of cracking the rear window? Just jacking up on of the rear corners or any corner?

3. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Mixed comments on this forum, some posts say windscreen others (majority) the rear window--due to frame flex, and no real consensus on rear or front corners either. Many have said they don't worry about it and just jack but I don't want to risk it, OEM windows are already pretty extinct and top $$. I do carry the two scissors jacks in the boot in case I need to change to the spare while on the road but honestly if you just need enough clearance to change a tire it's probably OK jacking one corner...slowly and as little as possible. Regardless, you won't regret this setup.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #4 vincenzo, Aug 2, 2013
  5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Thank you, Tim. I have been looking for something like this for a while. Wish I had a Boxer, but this is for a truck. Seems perfect, and I have a 25% coupon. Some of the women's (wife's) magazines are starting to have HF coupons, and they seem to be 25%, not 20%

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Awesome, you guys will love this setup.

7. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Thanks for heads up!

8. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    No trash talk intended, but why is it so cool jacking up your car from the incorrect "Ferrari-recommended body lift points"?

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It may not be the recommended lift point but it won't hurt a thing.

Why?? Because it's so much easier than the "two jack shuffle" as the OP wrote. AND it won't break your rear window. Trust me, I know this is a problem. Just ask me how I know...go ahead...just ask. :(

10. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Kenneth, there my be two reasons for doing it this way:

1) It lifts the car flat so as not to put stress on the perceived stress on the glass
    2) One can lift the back of the car is one simple move.

I am not sure about 1, but it does help out with 2.
    IMO

P

11. DavidO1

DavidO1 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    David Mark
    Well is good to see and working with these cross jacks and cross beams. I am really impressed by the working and designs of these jacks and i want to purchase a pair of these jacks and cross beams for my garage can any one tell me from where i can get these. Reply here or pm me Please !

12. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
  13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #13 Melvok, Jan 16, 2014
    Hi Friends, over the (5) years I posted some threads here :D !

My DIY jack solution can be found there too .... total of costs was less than $40 ...

But take your time to read some others too; it can be very interesting for you all one day !

14. DavidO1

DavidO1 Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    David Mark
    I am always interested in works with double ended cross beams because there is nor danger while using these and double ended beams can pull up more heavy goods . Above post is the perfect example of it.

15. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    This is pretty cool, I may add that to my stable of jacks.