FLORIDA OR MICHIGAN ? | FerrariChat

FLORIDA OR MICHIGAN ?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bennett, Dec 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bennett

bennett Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    CHARLOTTE, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    Alright, it's another BCS mess.

Let's hear your vote and reasoning for either The Wolverines or The Gators.

I vote Florida.
    You don't go 12-1 in the SEC and get shutout of a title shot to a team who didn't win their conference and also has a loss.
    Strength of schedule.
    And Michigan had a chance. Could you imagine how much UGLIER this could get if Michigan went 0-2 against Ohio State and Florida went 0-0?

2. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Florida all the way!

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Gators, no question. Toughest schedule according to the NCAA. We've beaten more ranked teams than Michigan. We lost to #11 Auburn at Auburn and didn't allow a single offensive TD. Michigan lost to #1 OSU. They had their chance. Not only that, but they trailed the entire game after being tied from scoring on their opening drive (because they won the coin toss). That 3 point win by OSU is deceptive. OSU was in control of that game. Had it not been for a dumb center and his snapping inabilities, it would've been a much larger margin of victory. It should be Big Ten champ vs. SEC champ in the title game. No intraconference rematch crap.

Go Gators!

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Oh, and here's a wiki page I've been working on through this season. :D Looking at the contents, I added 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8. Yes, the roster took a long time to make and yes it took a long time to enter all those statistics. lol! Big Gator fan here. :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Florida_Gators_football_team

5. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bennett

bennett Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    CHARLOTTE, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    No arguement hdpt00?

7. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Well, I'll just wait for the results.

8. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    But BCS is BS, using that system how will we ever know who is truly worthy of going to the championship.

9. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The BCS is supposed to put the 2 best teams in the BCS Championship game. I think there can be a strong case for either Michigan or Florida to play in the title game. Do you Remember when Florida won their last National Championship? Wasn't it a rematch?

The two common opponents Michigan and Florida played was Vanderbilt. Michigan Outgained Vanderbilt by 200 yards and won by 20. Florida was outgained by Vanderbilt and won by 6 points.

Some of of Florida's wins haven't been too impressive(remember the game against South Carolina - there was a lot of luck in that win), including tonights game IMO. That being said I would not be too upset if Florida got the nod since they did win their conference championship.

10. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    im all for michigan, since i doubt that mizzou will get a bid. :)
    if it is michigan, i can only hope that the game is half as good as the one a couple of weeks ago, because even at half as good, it will still be an awesome game!

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Florida's rematch was SEC champion vs ACC champion. Not same conference 1st vs 2nd place. Big difference.

As far as common opponents. We led Vandy 25-6 entering the 4th. Stopped caring and just decided to use the clock. Style points shouldn't even matter. When it comes down to it, UF has played a tougher schedule and against more ranked opponents, as well as more top 25 defenses. South Carolina is a good team. They have 5 losses. All 5 to currently ranked teams. They won their last game against a ranked Clemson team (huge in-state rival). And fwiw, South Carolina is a huge rivarly game for us. Like UCLA-USC. Ranks don't matter, both teams come out to play. I hope no one gives USC fans a lot of flack for losing to UCLA. Rivalry games dont' care who's higher ranked.

Schedule: Michigan has 2 wins over currently ranked teams. One is from Wisconsin. They haven't beaten a team that is currently ranked. I'm not kidding, that's a fact. Notre Dame has only 1 win over a currently ranked team--Georgia Tech. Florida has beaten Georgia, which beat Georgia Tech. We beat Tennessee that beat Cal. We beat South Carolina that beat Clemson, etc. The SEC is the toughest conference again this year. 41-7 (85%) total non-conference, best out of anyone. Big East is 2nd at 32-8 (80%). We've beaten 10 bowl eligible teams. Michigan hasn't played anyone other than OSU worth mentioning. PSU? Sorry, they're nothing like the Orange Bowl BCS winners last year. Iowa? Again, garbage this year. 2-6 in conference play. If Michigan beat PSU and Iowa when both weren't in down years like this one, I'd say there's a better argument. The only thing Michigan has going for them is the loss to #1 OSU vs ours to #11 Auburn. Difference is: Michigan didn't really have a chance to win the game. Once it was tied, OSU never gave it up. Only NON-forced turnovers kept Michigan even close. Florida led Auburn the majority of the game and never gave an offensive TD.

Again, this is just all imo. We'll just agree to disagree most likely. It doesn't even really matter. If Michigan goes against OSU again, OSU shouldn't have troubles. It'll probably get Lloyd fired losing to OSU twice in a season. If he wins, give him tenure. I just want another team to have a chance since Michigan had theirs. Whether it be Florida, USC (before losing to UCLA), etc.

12. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Nice work with the Wikipedia, I'm just going to say that whoever goes better beat OSU

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Its really a coin flip. Good arguments for both sides.

Let's ask Buckeye fans, whom do they want to play?

They will most likely answer Florida. They know they can beat Florida.
    Michigan on a neutral field however may be a different story.

I say lets crown OSU the national champs and don't even have a championship game. Florida and Michigan can still play in the Rose Bowl like they were supposed to do until USC effed it up.

14. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    I think Louisville deserves to be considered as well. They won their conference. Only loss was by 3 points on the road to a team that was undefeated. Louisville beat 9 teams that are bowl eligible and 8 of them will go on to bowl games. In the first game of the season they lost their star running back (Michael Bush) to a broken leg for the year. Louisville played 2 1/2 games without their star Quarterback (Brian Brohm). Louisville won all three games.

Why isn't Louisville considered??? The BCS sucks. If WV had not beat Rutgers last night, Louisville a team that is ranked in the top 10, top 5 in the BCS, they would have been conference co-champions, 11-1, and they would have been going to the Sun Bowl to play unranked Oregon State??????? Thank god Rutgers lost!!!!

Matt

15. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Stopped at a friends bar and watched the end of the USC game. He wants Michigan because it will be good for business. Went on to a Christmas party and most Buckeye fans don't want to play Michigan. Deep down a loss to Michigan would be tougher than a loss to anyone else. I say bring on Michigan!

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    indaville, I agree 100% with you. Louisville is getting screwed BIG TIME. Why? Because the Big East and Louisville name are so young. I know, it sucks. USC lost to an unranked team (Oregon State) while you guys lost to highly ranked Rutgers yet USC was still ranked higher. It had a little to do with the strength of schedule, too, but people just like the "USC" brand name. It's dumb, I know, and I agree with you on how you feel. We have the same feeling all the time in the SEC. It was only a couple weeks ago when everyone mentioned #2 Michigan, #3 USC, and #5 Notre Dame as championship contenders. See something funny? Yep, they left out #4 Florida that was well ahead of Notre Dame.

I hate this crap. Good teams are getting screwed without a playoff. Especially Louisville and Oklahoma. That Oklahoma "loss" to Oregon should never have been left alone, it should've been changed to a win. They could've had an argument for ar championship. Playoffs are the only answer. Well, if we get a spot in the game (Florida), I'll be happy. If not, oh well, I knew the BCS would suck. Good luck to whoever your teams are when the BCS comes out today.

Veedub00, I think OSU doesn't want to play Michigan because they have nothing to prove. They've already beaten them. This is coming from some friends of mine that are OSU fans as well as OSU students.

I'm still not convinced Michigan is the "clear cut" #2 like Kirk Herbstreit says. I also am a firm believer that Michigan had their chance and blew it. Trailed by double digits almost the entire game. Oh well, we'll see what happens in 8 hours or so.

17. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Are you kidding me (on both statements). If that Michigan player hadn't hit the OSU quarterback in the helmet as he was going out of bounds, they would have won that game. And Lloyd Carr getting fired after an 11-2 season....ya right! I actually almost hope it is Florida in the chapionship game against OSU, cuz they will get SMOKED, and that will be awesome to watch!!

18. bennett

bennett Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    CHARLOTTE, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    Jerrari - Could you imagine if Michigan got the nod to go to the championship game and LOST, AGAIN, to Ohio State? 0-2 to Florida's 0-0? Egg all over the voter's faces.
    Ohio State is NOT INFALLABLE. They proved themselves against a freshman quarterback at Texas and a rivalry win with a great home field advantage - NOT overpowering in my book. Sqeaked away with one against ILLINOIS. I DON'T BUY OHIO STATE AS A LOCK TO WIN, regardless of whether it's Florida or Michigan.
    But they also have almost two months worth of sitting in hot tubs between their last game and the national championship, so they'll be really good and fresh. They've probably been going over film of USC, Florida, and Michigan as of yesterday, while Florida hasn't had the luxury - THEY HAD TO PLAY IN THEIR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP. If the MAC can have a championship game, why not the Big 10(2)? But then again, if they can lock themselves in to the national championship game without one, WHY SHOULD THEY WANT A DEFINED CONFERENCE CHAMPION?

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Florida #2 in the Coaches.

20. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    If that is the case I think Florida will certainly play for the National Championship.

21. AndyD

AndyD Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    Snellville, GA
    Full Name:
    Andy D.
    Michigan might be the 2nd best team in the country...however, they are the #2 team in their conference (albeit to OSU). It is supposed to be more damaging to lose late in the season than early. Michigans impressive wins Wisconsin, Notre Dame.

FLorida...Conference champs, hardest schedule in the country. Most impressive win(s) LSU, Tenessee, Arkansas.

Florida hands down...SEC champs--should go to BCS (Bogus Champ Series)

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  23. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    #2 in the AP Poll, but that doesn't count towards the BCS calculation anymore.

25. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    ok, so i'm new to this. Which ones REALLY count then?