Flow Form Wheels | FerrariChat

Flow Form Wheels

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by albert328gts, Jan 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    I see more and more companies selling Flow Form Wheels, even HRE is doing them. Any experience with these wheels with anyone on Fchat? Am thinking of a set for my Benz E350 in 18" and I know that Forged is the way to go (especially in Los Angeles) but the Flow Form's are really attractive and cost efficient, any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    From what I recall from either HRE or Forgeline (when I was choosing wheels about this time last year), "flow-form" is a new marketing term for roll-forging the rim of a cast wheel. This strengthens the rim, but the center and hub are still the same as a cast wheel, so the weight of everything inside of the rim is still the same to retain strength, even if it's still not as strong as a fully forged wheel.
    Consider it midway between forged and cast.

3. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Thanks, I appreciate your input. Does anyone have experience in real life strength?

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I had BBS RCs almost 20 years ago, which were early in the roll-formed tech, and fantastic wheels. The rims were strong, never a problem, and survived both crap streets and slicked track stresses nicely. BBS metallurgy was already established in racing, so I never had a concern over the strength of the wheel overall, and they were very light - a BBS trademark back then (now they make some decidedly un-light but stylish wheels also, expanding their market)
    Fully-forged is the step above that, extending that strength through the center of the wheel.

albert328gts likes this.
  5. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    willrace, thank you that was extremely informative.

6. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    We have FlowForm wheels on 3 of our Mercs: C32, E55 (supercharged) and CLK63. Haven't had any issues. My wife drives the E55 and CLK quite spirited, So I would not hesitate on getting them. Ours are TSW. Looked at HRE, but they do not make it for the Merc bolt pattern. I would get one for my 360 if they made them, unfortunately they don't.