Fluid Changes for a 348 | FerrariChat

Fluid Changes for a 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jim Riggs, Apr 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    I searched the old threads on this subject and found some general discussion, but I am planning to do it for the first time and I have some questions (if there are some threads that address these, that would suffice):
    1. What is the procedure for flushing the coolant. Where are the drain lines and what is the recommend procedure.
    2. I have had a Ferrari shop recommend that I use a Mobil 1 oil for the transmission in an effort to allow the transmission to shift easier when it is cold. Is this a good idea? Where are the drain and fill plugs on the transmission.
    3. With regard to flushing the brake lines, is it just a matter of replacing the old brake fluid and then flushing out each of the brake lines?
    Thanks for the help.
    An F-car wannabe fluid changer.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    1) Be sure you go to a place with a power flusher to flush out your cooling system. And good auto repair or radiator shop will ave one. You would not believe the crap a power flusher will push out of the cooling system...especially if it has never beed flushed out before. I use BMW coolant and have been welll pleased. 2) Mobile 1 is a great oil. I use it in my Boxer. 3) I like ATE SuperBlue brake fluid. You can locate all the drains and fills in your owners' manual.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    To drain the coolant you will need to remove the front part of the splash guards for the rear wheels. This give you access to the radiators. There is a plastic drain plug screw on the bottom right hand side of the radiators. You will need a big standard screw driver with a wide head to remove them. If you wanna completely flush the system out, there is also a drain bolt on the side of the engine block. To drain the oil you will need a 12mm allen wrench. The drain plug for the oil is at the very front of the engine, and has the words "scarico olio" written next to it. You also drain the oil tank at the back using the plug at the bottom. But DO NOT, drain from the plug on the bottom of the engine. That plug is for the oil pressure adjustment bolt, and is set at the factory so leave it alone. The trany gets drain from the bottom of the gear box, and will have "olio cambio" written next to it. You will need a 19mm allen socket to remove the filler plug located on the top of the transmission, under the air box. Break fluid gets changed out the same as usual. But when you bleed the breaks to flush out the old fluid, don't for get to bleed the clutch also. The clutch bleed screw is found at the bottom left on the clutch cover, at the back of the car.