Flying into Atlanta next weekend - what to do? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Flying into Atlanta next weekend - what to do?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by amenasce, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I must say i have not looked at the south at all. I need to look into it.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The area of east Cobb I live in really hasn't changed that much, because most of it was already built up in 1996, but the developers are gradually acquiring all the remaining spaces and typically building very large homes on rather small plots. Where things have changed tremendously are the areas further out: Acworth, Woodstock, Canton, Milton, Cumming, Suwanee and so on.

One road which is almost unrecognizable compared to 1996 is GA-211, one of the primary routes to Road Atlanta. Back then it was an empty road with a 55-MPH speed limit that was doable; today it is lined with new homes, shopping centers and traffic lights, so 55 MPH is pretty much now a pipe dream. And if the residents complain about the track noise, all they have to do is remind them who was there first!

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The weekend looks like it's going to be beautiful.

sjd

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    $26-30k or so a year.........

5. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That is stupid :)

6. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If I were gonna be OTP I'd live in Avalon.

7. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    When it comes to Atlanta, you can find anything and everything you would like. Inevitably it will come down to a choice between the house/neighborhood, the schools, and the commute. If you are fortunate to get all three to work for you, you will never live anywhere else.

8. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Any update on your trip? I hope it is going well. You picked a nice weekend.

amenasce likes this.
  9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the apartments ?

10. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    NO they have homes and townhomes in the development. Or buy build nearby or near old Roswell. Both great areas and close to one another.

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #36 amenasce, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    I am at the airport leaving now. Have not had a moment to stop as we filled the 3 days with stuff to do.

Well, we loved Alpharetta. I should say we loved the area in general. First of all the weather..snowing in Chicago and 80 here. No comment. Then the landacape..so many trees..and so hilly, so many curves..most of the roads are so smooth.
    We must have said "look how pretty it is" to each other at least every 20 min.

We went to sandy springs, John's creek, east cobb, milton, buckhead and downtown Atl (which we didnt really care for - we spent a few hours on Friday then up to the burbs). Did visit the Aquarium which was really nice and calming. The whale sharks are amazing. The museum employees were friendly and very knowledgeable about the fishes.

We established camp in Alpharetta.
    Alpharetta is soo pretty and clean and organized. And so many new construction. We saw a few houses we really liked (some by the Avalon as it turns out). All the sales rep are saying the market is hot and they are selling fast. Not sure how true, but you do get the feeling it is moving.
    One thing left us speechless..a 3000 sf condo in downtown Alpharetta sold for $1.3m. As much as we liked Alpharetta, it scared us a bit that the market is overheating. I mean, for that same $ you buy an amazing condo in a "real" city. Or you buy a 6000 sf mansion.

So we are going to do more research. It seems Alpharetta is well managed but I would hate to buy at the very top of the market when it seems the RE nationwide is cooling off.
    The houses we liked are bit over our 650k budget (they were $750k for 3500/4000sf).

The downtown was so alive. We went out every night and it felt as if we were in a major city. Restaurants were all good and the choice was expansive. We ate middle eastern, Thai, Chinese..
    On Saturday, we went to the Porsche headquarters as I wanted to check out their museum. The restaurant was great and again a super friendly staff.

So overall, it was a very positive week end. My wife still wants to visit Nashville and the Carolinas to decide where we will land. But I am hoping it's Alpharetta. I felt at home.

Thanks to all who helped with the advices and tips! They made the trip easier and a bit less over whelming!

4re308 and Oz-ATL like this.
  12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i would only note a couple things:

people and corporations are moving here and the city is growing. last i think is saw, there were 6-7 million people in the ATL metroplex while the actual city population itself is not that big. so it is a big city.

yes the roads are like glass compared to up north. your 20-year-old daily driver still looks like new underneath

people are very friendly

the roads were designed by morons

have fun at a 5 way stop

SA almost one the governors race so what your fleeing may be starting here

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you find Alpharetta too pricey, you might have better luck a little further north on GA-400 around Cumming. We even have Ferrari owners north of there in Dawsonville, but that might be a little too far out.

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Glad you had a great time.

Been here 20 years now (from western PA, was a northern Illinois kid) and here's a few observations:

We have 3 seasons: cold, hot, and pollen. If you don't have allergies, you will.
    Everyone is now from somewhere else.
    If it snows, we stay home. If there's a chance of snow, they close schools. There are 4 snowplows (or something that crazy sounding) for 6MM people.
    We have bugs. Even with pest control you'll see a bug or two. I don't like bugs....still.
    Atlanta sports teams know how to blow it in an almost Cubs-like way :p. Except the soccer team, they're pretty good.
    Life is planned around traffic.

sjd

mjmccoymd, amenasce and Scudmsl like this.
  15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd also consider renting.....

not sure i'd move to any city i wasnt familiar with and plunk down some cash for a house

"When it comes to Atlanta, you can find anything and everything you would like. Inevitably it will come down to a choice between the house/neighborhood, the schools, and the commute. If you are fortunate to get all three to work for you, you will never live anywhere else."

^^^ was dead on

Scudmsl and steved033 like this.
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been renting the same townhouse for 21 years! My landlord offers me a price I can't refuse and treats me well, and I guess he likes me as a tenant.

17. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Glad you liked it, Alpharetta is nice. As Jim said going just a bit further out will help, we live in Cumming and our place is about 4300 square feet, 5 bed, 5 bath, with a 3 car garage will run you about 550-650k. Taxes about $5500 for the year. Takes us about 15-20 minutes to get to Alpharetta for a nice dinner.

amenasce likes this.
  18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes, that is what we think. Fortunately we are in no rush. My wife wants to stay at her job another 6mo or more and i work from home/partner in the company. I must say, flying back to Illinois this time was hard. I almost cringed when we landed, and the only reason i was looking forward to it was bc i was going to get pick up my kids. I know i need to do more research before buying a house and try to understand that market a bit more. The $1.3m condo really threw us off. Before we saw it, the market was maybe a bit hot but the houses are $180/200 sf so not bad. But then we saw that condo it made us pause. So i will monitor the comps for the next 6 mo and we will go to TN to also explore...hopefully, the conclusion will be Alpharetta or the area around it as i felt comfortable and would be happy to call it home.

19. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Same here!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

If people are paying $400 per sf..then I missed the train already.

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i never understood the condo market.

my old boss had a place in one magnificent mile. could have bought two el chapo size estates in lake forest or wherever...

the same happens in buckhead. laying out huge numbers for condos....

nobody want huge sq foot houses i guess.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And yet, most of the new houses that I see under construction are just that!

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I get the huge condo downtown. I personally love downtown but i am priced out at the moment for the space and quality i need. A 3000 SF condo in Chicago would be $1.3m and then i would need to spend $40k a year in private school for my 2 sons.
    That's $160k right there.
    I dont get the huge condo for $1.3m in the burbs. Might be an anomaly..but they are selling.