Flying lesson suggestions for my 14 year old son | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Flying lesson suggestions for my 14 year old son

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Smiles, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for both my private and instrument part 141 you are doing the King/Cessna program along with flying. We're talking more hours online than what your actual flying is, so I think good to pace both together to avoid burnout. motivation each week for the ground was then doing those lessons in plane. King/Cessna online includes pure ground lessons, but also go through what flight exercises you will be doing. so mentally once you step in plane you have already thought through and seen the exercise executed.

there was funny t-shirt once way before internet meme's "I slept with Martha King". they are interesting, but yes sometimes you are just trying to stay awake.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Really? I'm too lazy to search much but 61.109 doesn't seem to apply any exceptions for a 141 school
    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/14A11189B72032D6862576C400578B82?OpenDocument

3. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    duh, guess I need to look at Part 141.:rolleyes: Yes there are differences. Seems they place less value on solo experience as a student, which seems somewhat rational.
    http://iflycoast.com/differences-between-part-61-and-part-141-flight-schools/
    Cost wise you I could see where it would be a wash if airplane and instructor rates are lower at an independent school.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Part 141 has some advantages in terms of the structure of the program. However, I would expect to pay more, not less, to get a private at a Part 141 school. The reality is that you probably won't save any flight time, and you'll pay more per hour.

But if there is a decent Part 141 school in your area, I would say go for it-- just don't do it to save money.

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Just my two cents on some suggestions above...
    1. If he's 14 and wants to fly, get him flying...don't waste time with home simulators or just doing ground school stuff for a year.
    2. Strongly consider getting him in a glider program...gliders build strong all around airmanship. Transition to powered thereafter will be a cinch.
    3. Get him a nice instructional orientation flight...that's all it takes to turn a lot of people off of flying sometimes...it will save a lot of money up front.

My son started flying later, but wanted to fly helos. He started at 17 and got his rating in under 50 hours at 18. I made him pay for all his ground instruction and half his flying costs. That's how I determined how badly he wanted it. He's working on his glider rating now and has so far found it easy. I suspect anything is easy after helos. Now I'm having trouble keeping him in college as he wants to join the Army and fly ASAP...

ralfabco and jcurry like this.
  6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You need to install some type of nanny filter on his computer and hope he never finds this link.

Hooraaah

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    LoL I started flying at age 13, pumping gas and washing/waxing planes at the FBO to pay for my ratings (SEL/MEL). I also flew helos courtesy of the US Army w/o a college degree. Don’t discourage him, let him pursue his dream. He’ll do just fine... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    One more thing. You can impress upon him that the FAA doesn't like people flying around who have criminal records or a history of taking psychotropic medications.

9. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I’d add alcohol to the list. To this day, I still can’t drink a beer and seldom drink hard alcohol. My instructor pilots (and parents) advised me to avoid peer pressure to drink or do drugs. Pilots can be good role models for your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Al,

You are a superb role model! Thank you for your service and have a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

Best regards,

Robert

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Cool video!

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree with the suggestions to start in gliders. I flew gliders before power, and I think you learn basic airmanship easier and more effectively in a glider. Energy management is foremost in a glider, not so much in a power plane, yet it is so fundamental to being a good pilot.
    My son wanted to fly so I put him in gliders and he soloed at 14.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great advice all around.

He’s going for a flight tomorrow!

Matt

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    NeuroBeaker and joker57676 like this.
  15. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I can still remember my first flight like it was yesterday. It was such a great experience.

16. flyinlo

flyinlo Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Lo
    One thing I'll add along the lines of folks talking about gliders teaching airmanship is to learn to fly in a conventional gear, aka tailwheel airplane. They are a bit of a dying breed these days, but they are some of the most interesting airplanes to fly and will make sure your son learns to use his feet. Most tricycle gear aircraft from the venerable Cessna 172 to the Cirrus and so on are more forgiving but a tailwheel airplane like a Citabria or a Cub will require you to use the rudder properly, especially on the runway. Starting with a tailwheel will give him out with good habits that will serve him well whatever he flies. He can learn the video game instrument panels once he has mastered stick and rudder.

jcurry likes this.
  17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Most of my pre-solo training was spent doing "rudder exercise deep stalls" and rolling on a point. "Accuracy landings" were a big part of it too. I have never had trouble with a tail dragger.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My kids have spent time flying (and taxiing) my Citabria, but I couldn't find a local CFI who was willing and able to do primary instruction in it.

I found one who was able, but she wasn't willing, and one who was willing, but didn't have the tailwheel experience.

19. flyinlo

flyinlo Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Lo
    We are fortunate here in the San Francisco Bay Area to have schools that do primary training in Citabrias.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I guess that things have changed and I realize that tail draggers are getting a bit more scarce but I feel that there has to be more training in flying the airplane. Before I soloed I got intensive precise spin training where I had to recover on a point after one, two or two and a half spins. Before my private pilot exam, i had to master rudder exercise stalls where cruise power was retained and the stick was pulled full back to a power on stall and the airplane controlled down through the break in the stall by rudder since no other control was active. A lose of rudder control quickly induced a spin and after recovery you went back to the rudder exercise stalls until you mastered it. 720's left and right with a stop on a point .Then many many accuracy landings at off airport locations. All of this came in handy a couple of times later on , too. I still think that some training in a sailplane is invaluable.

21. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    meh, who needs piloting skills when we have spin resistant airplanes, chutes, and autopilots that will bring the airplane to S&L from any attitude. Only skill required is mastering the touch screens on the Garmin panel. /sarcasm

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Congrats on your son starting flying lessons. My only comment is that I would have gone old school - Stearman!

Regards,
    Art S.

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That was me, 72 years ago. I guess that's old enough to be old school. Wonderful memories of the time spent in that great airplane.

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Cub, Citabria, or O-1 are all great planes to learn on...

25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A friend of mine actually tried to do that for his kids. He couldn't get insurance.

I had no issues with insurance in the Citabria, though.