Flywheel Kluber grease, quantity, sourcing, group buy? | FerrariChat

Flywheel Kluber grease, quantity, sourcing, group buy?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rupp3r, Nov 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I am looking at redoing my flywheel grease on my Mondial T.
    No hot start problem and engine stopping not so bad, but maybe a little bit of noise when it is stopping and been advised by a Ferrari mechanic that it was one cause of the famous clutch shaft groove destruction, so would be the conclusion of my gearbox revision.

I saw here that there was a TSB issued on an increased grease mass for the 348, initially 180 grams in the manual but I read on different topics that it was up to 230, 250 or even 280 grams depending on the topic.
    Is there a consensus about the recommanded grease mass?

I had a look to buy it (in Europe) and I found that most of the usual parts seller are offering 195 grams for around 100 euros... which is not really nice if I want to put 250 grams of it obviously...

I managed to found one supplier that is offering me cans of 1kg that would lead to 80€ for 250 grams.
    Would anyone be interested (in Europe) in making a small group buy to get the good grease quantity at the minimum cost?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

308 GTB likes this.
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Looking at the WSM it says 180 gr. (+ - 5) of Kluber GLK 1301 grease for both versions - single plate and dual plate. Although some other specs are different - see the attached documents.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

4. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
  5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The ebay link I sent you, the seller is in the UK.

Not sure which car they were talking about in the first thread of your post above, 348 or 355. Per the 355's WSM, it does call for 220 g plus or minus 5.

In the second thread FBB says "I think..."

Maybe @fatbillybob, @ernie or someone else can enlighten us as to how much is needed for the 348.

This is from the 355 WSM:

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The 355's flywheel is bigger than the one for the 348. So it would make sense that one would use more Kluber grease than the other.

7. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    My 348 WSM said 180 +/- 5.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    emac likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Remember to not put grease on the flat area around the snout, only grease the area and holes around the spring. I see posts where people grease the whole thing like battering a cake.

I bought a new billet flywheel and repack kit for a dual plate from Andrew before he closed shop. I sure hope when I do mine this spring I actual have a dual plate.:eek:

10. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Well I don't know lots of thread talk about putting more grease, so I may go with 220 grams.

I take benefit of this topic to ask what is the consensus about the clutch and flywheel bearing replacement?

I have read that to remove the flywheel from its housing, one has to push the back of the flywheel thus putting axial load in the clutch bearing.
    I don't know if the required load is high enough to damage it or if the fitting is not so tight?
    Does the clutch bearing need any replacement?

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The load on the bearing depends on the method used to remove it of course. I would replace it if its apart regardless. While the patient is open...

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There are two 10mm x 1mm holes through which you push out the flywheel. It is quite balanced and will not harm the flywheel or the bearing. You can replace the bearings but I have not seen that to be a requirement.

13. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Are you talking about the bolts used to split the flywheel in two pieces?
    If yes then yes there is no problem with doing this.

In this case there is no other way than axially loading the bearing since from what I understand you have to push the flywheel shaft out of its casing by pushing on the inner bearing race:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/90532357@N05/9442766771/in/album-72157634939213365/
    (from: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-flywheel-re-greased.417980/)

Question is if the bearing/flywheel assembly is tight enough to damage the bearing?

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    If Daniel runs out, Superformance has it or a substitute.

15. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Any thought on this?

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Rupper

Repeat your questions, again.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think the question is
    "Question is if the bearing/flywheel assembly is tight enough to damage the bearing?"

If I am pressing the FW out, I'd press that bearing out too whether needed or not. I think most people do not replace it even after pressing out thee FW, never heard any issues doing that.

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    No issues in my case either. It was quite easy to knock the flywheel out of the bearing, not very tight. If I remember well, I partially screwed the old large "hat-bolt" and started the movement of the flywheel by hitting on the bolt (plastic hammer, no hard hitting was required). Once the flywheel was out, I could pull the bearing out of the "pumpkin" by hand. It was just snug fit. During installation of the whole assembly to the gearbox, I installed the new "hat-bolt" and four temporary bolts and washers to prevent the bearing from moving out from the pumpkin housing.

19. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

Yes sorry if my question was not clear it was indeed this one.
    I have never read a thread where someone was replacing the bearing after a grease re pack and seeing the only way of extracting the flywheel I was wondering if it was damaging the bearing, since I am quite rigid on avoiding stress on bearing during extraction.

M. Stojanovic, thank you for your tips and your m feedback.
    I am surprised it is not tighter considering the size of the bearing but well that's not a bad news!
    I hope it will be the same on mine and I would be fine.