Foam gun and brand of foam questions | FerrariChat

Foam gun and brand of foam questions

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ncjetskier, Feb 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 ncjetskier, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Looking to purchase a foam gun and foam. I am a little concerned about the type / brand of foam to use. The type of foam used in car washes is very strong and brutal on car finishes and sealants. Can anybody recommend a brand of foam wash that is gentle on car finishes / waxes and paint sealants?
    Also, can you use any car wash soap in a foam gun? Thanks for any help.

2. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, you can use any car shampoo/soap in a foam gun. Some will 'foam' more than others.

For a good gentle/balanced/neutral/won't strip anything soap I have two favorites:

CarPro Reset and AutoFinesse Avalanche Snow Foam.

3. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The quality and temperature of the water make a big difference on the foam output too.

I use regular carwash soap now (Mothers or Meguiar's) in a foam cannon, and have tried the extra foam soaps from Autogeek too. The difference between them is negligible. I installed a small inline water softener and that gave me great results.

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have a foam gun (can't remember the brand) and agree with the comments that virtually any car shampoo can foam well. I have to say though, that I'm not especially convinced that spraying on foam lifts dirt more effectively than the larger volume of soapy water you get using a sponge or microfiber from a bucket. I use my foam gun only occasionally because I haven't been able to convince myself that it is actually safer to the paint than using a bucket. It would be interesting (to at least me and presumably the OP) to hear others' opinions on the value of using a foam gun.

5. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The foam gun and foam cannon allow the thick lather to sit on top of the paint and agitate the dirt on the surface. I've heard opinions going in both directions, but I like letting the foam sit on the paint and loosen whatever is on there. Pre-soaking with water doesn't sit on the paint as effectively and could scratch the paint, and the bucket method doesn't give a thick enough lather to last that long.
    If my car is very dirty I pre-soak with the foam, let it sit a good 15 minutes, pressure wash it off and then foam the car again and go at it with a big wooly mit. Blow off most of the water with an electric leaf blower, and give the car a once over with a microfiber towel.

There is no right or wrong way and most "facts" are still sourced by personal opinions, but I'm extremely picky about swirls surface scratches and my cars don't have any under any light source...so I *think* I'm doing something right.

Plus the foam cannon is fun to play with :)

6. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  7. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Wow, all I did was scavenge the sprayer cap from a lawn chemical bottle like an anti mold or weed treatment. Wash it out and it works fine. Not so thick and rich but foams and pre soaks the surface. Free after cost of lawn chemical. It's adjustable and has an on off valve. Swapping with rinse hose is labor intensive. ;)

8. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    John K - I give you credit as the foam guns are a rip off. For some reason they are only $39 in Canada but you cannot find them for less than $64 in the US. All it is, is a valve, spray bottle and nozzle. It should retail at $25, seeing that it only cost $5 to make in China.

Even though it is a rip off, I just bought one.

9. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
  10. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
  11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I tried this approach -- foaming the entire car, letting the foam sit for several minutes, then rinsing it off. I've had a foam gun for years and didn't see much value in it for the washing process -- but this pre-soak/rinse method is GREAT. It removed most of the dirt so there is no chance of scratching during the wash process with the mitt. Thanks for the advice!

12. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    have you guys used this guys products ?

check his use of the foam gun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3a6VPPNC0oM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
  14. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    #14 ilconservatore, May 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.harborfreight.com/car-wash-nozzle-60773.html

Harbor Freight, $9.99. I've used the same one a couple times a week for several years and it only recently gave up the ghost.

Not quite a foam cannon, but it delivers a lot of suds and you can turn off the soap feed and use the nozzle for rinsing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. kelleysdetail

kelleysdetail Rookie

Jun 26, 2015
    Longwood, FL
    Full Name:
    Chris Kelley
    #15 kelleysdetail, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    keep in mind, you dont need 2" thick foam on your car to get it to clean, and you are wasting a lot of soap to get it there.

all you need is a thin layer of soapy water to begin the breakdown process. anymore than that, and its pointless.

spray it on, let it dwell, and pressure wash it off. Then re-soap and wash as normal. Pressure wash soap off, then sheet the car to remove most of the water. Dry with a Quick detail spray and a waffle weave towel.

Ryobi has a great pressure washer I just picked up for 200 bucks. Electric, 2000 PSI, has a soap dispenser that only works with a low pressure tip on the wand which is perfect as i dont have to swap anything but the tip which is on a quick disconnect already. 5 seconds of water flowing throw the pressure tip and there is no more soap coming out!

Ryobi 2000-PSI 1.2-GPM Electric Pressure Washer-RY141900 - The Home Depot

Im just going to get a 50FT hose, and a wall mount for the hose so I dont have to mess with winding it up on the reel that comes with it (have to disconnect the hose from the unit in order to wind)

17. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
  18. Hoss91IEP

Hoss91IEP Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    East Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    Thomas K
    Just go to AutoGeek.net and check them out...
    For the thickest foam, use a pressure washer. Hose don't cut it IMHO. I also have an inline canister filter from Home D that I use to decrease minerals et. al. in the H20.
    Not sure about prices, might find things a bit cheaper elsewhere, but you're washing a Ferrari... I have the Auto Geek Cannon and use DP suds.
    I then wash my cars w Optimum, arguably the best products.
    I find that the foam cannon washes 95% of the crap off my cars, and the 2 bucket wash thereafter is for me to smile!
    Leaf blower to dry, then Optimum Quick Detail to give it the sheen.
    Washing an F is nearly as fun as driving it!