Foam Pad | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Foam Pad

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by flashman, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Thanks for the reply, hopefully Peajay will read this.
    WilliamR

2. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Thanks for all your good answers, I happen to have an old bottle of Weldwood Contact Cement laying around, ill give it a try.

thanks

Mark

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for trying to help, it is not often you see a photo of this area, I don't see any traces on the paintwork, but if anyone does know if the 328 should have one please let me know.
    Thanks for the kind offer Flashman, in fact I will be in the USA for a business trip in a few weeks and I know Home Depot very well, so I will plan on putting this on my shopping list if someone confirms it is missing. I will also be looking out for Baldwin oil filters and other bits and pieces, maybe even a Leatherique kit.

4. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Here a picture of my 328. Is this what you were looking for?

5. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    And here anothre one.

6. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Looks like when they re-designed the hood and added the louvers on the 328, the foam pad was no longer needed to block the warm air from moving into the back portion.
    WilliamR

7. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    I don't recall my 328 having a foam seal as discussed here, only a rubber strip on the edge in front of the sparewheel, which seals against the hood.
    And since we are talking seals, peajay (and other 328 owners) take a look at http://www.ferrari.jenkins.org/books/ - Ferarri 328 docs - Ferrari 328 Tech Specs, Publications list...etc. Service Bulletin 17-4 talks about rubber isolation strips around the radiator.
    These are apparently fitted to eliminate wind noise.

8. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks to everyone for the info and photos, so it looks like my 328 is as it should be. I'll take a look at that web site also.

9. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I replaced mine. Picked up from lowes. 85 QV. Here are some pics.

10. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
  11. Ksullender

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
  12. rufus

rufus Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2003
    Toronto & St PetesFL
    Full Name:
    Pete Gorrell
    A bit better than a razor knife, if you want to cut straight, is an electric carving knife. Two bucks at a garage sale if your wife won't let you use hers.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    At least the repair is only $10. It would really suck to buy Ferrari foam only to realize the repair really makes no improvement on the cabin heat issue or cooler running. At least it did not with my car. It is still probably better to have it right though.

14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    On my 86, the foam fits into the rectangular section in the hood above the radiator and the foam is sized to fill that section with about 1/4" gap all around. The dimensions of the foam pad with the 1/4" gap are 24 3/4" by 3 3/4" and the pad is 1 1/4" thick. I'm not sure why there is a gap, I may make the foam slightly larger to fill it when I replace it. My first attempt at finding the foam at Home Depot was unsucessful -- I found some in the air conditioning section, but they only had narrow strips about 2" wide.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I used 1-1/4" square a/c foam om a TrueValue HW store. Came in a plastic bag in the a/c & window insulation section. Was only a few $.

I just glued 2 strips together to get the width, used contact cement & kept it back about 1/8" from the edge on the side that was going to be visable. Trimmed it with a very sharp knife. Took a couple of tries to get a piece that was trimmed properly, but there was plenty of foam.

(Will have to try an elec. knife next time, sounds like a good idea.)