360 - FOB antitheft lock/unlock help needed | FerrariChat

360 FOB antitheft lock/unlock help needed

Discussion in '360/430' started by wheelman76, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Some basic details.

Owned the car for 2 years now, no issues until now. Just last week I noted that when I clicked the fob to lock the car it only would beep once and then lock the car. Would come back to the car and click to unlock and it would beep twice and not unlock the car. Ended up having to use the key manually and a couple times setting off the alarm b/c the car was not unarmed evidently. Other times I tried clicking button more than a few times but the car would not unlock. All during the last two years I noticed the car would beep twice upon locking and unlocking it and now this switch to one beep and then difficulty unlocking.

I just changed the battery in a black fob i don't normally use and it also makes the car beep once upon locking. I note that now that I'm back from the store that it is unlocking upon pressing the button but still doing the one beep lock. I will keep watching what happens upon future stops when I do lock the car but I'm still scratching my head.

Am I missing something here?

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nothing wrong with the fob. The linkage underneath the armrest probably need adjustments or worst case the door lock mechanism needs replacing.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If its not the lock mechanism alignment which would make it pretty consistently not working then it may be a dreaded immobilizer failure, yes another one.

It could indeed be the door lock/unlock immobilizer relay starting to fail, it's such a common thing these days as these cars get older.

I've seen this before so many times now and helped several fellow owners from side stepping huge bills to resolve this issue. Sometimes it will work and sometimes not and sometimes it will flap between states all on its own.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  4. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest

Is there a part I need to be looking at replacing you can reference me to?

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Normal is one beep for lock, two beeps for unlock. Like Steve said, your links are likely out of adjustment. Take her to someone who knows what they are doing and it can be easily fixed.

6. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    So the times that I hit the button to lock and I get no beep at all but the doors still lock means what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Getting a beep/no beep might be a different issue, which has to do with the siren module. The internal battery is probably on its way out. It's a common problem with the 360. Doing a search on the forum will get you a lot of hits on the subject.

RANDY6005 and Skidkid like this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    What Steve & Taz said. Plus, Steve's elaboration can cause irregular immobilizer behavior. Not that Trev is wrong but I don't start at the most serious failure since it isn't the most common.

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I did say first check other things especially door lock alignment and what have you. The alarm siren is a case of not *IF* it will fail but *WHEN* it will fail and the same thing on the immobilizer... They are a ticking time bomb ready to fail on you at the worst possible moment. Sorry but I have had to fix a tidal wave of immobilizer failures recently (they are at that age now that so many are failing to the point of no return). I am now highly suspect of that piece of sh** now and its one of the first things I look at.

Actually majority of the time it has actually failed (or some relays are already draining battery current but not yet spiking voltage enough to destroy other ecu's or erase their eeprom ) but many owners haven't even appreciated the symptoms since they keep their 360's tethered to a tender inside a garage and since its in a garage they don't even lock it...

RANDY6005 likes this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    All good points Trev. No slight was intended, you know FAR more than I do about these cars. The cause of problems probably shifts over time as some stuff is fixed and other things age making them the majority issue. And I agree that most probably don't pay enough attention to see issues early or mask them because of being hooked to a tender. These cars are very sensitive to power levels and issues.

11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm betting that the OP is facing two issues at the same time. The siren module is about to go south (hence erratic chirps/no chirps) and the doors are not locking/unlocking in sync with the chirping (rod linkage out of adjustment or a weak door lock solenoid). I've been there, done that.

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes. I'm thinking its several issues too combining together to make it harder to see whats going on without systematic testing. The door lock relay which switches over the current to power the door locks also plays its part in this too and cannot be ruled out without testing it, so technically it might even be 3 issues. The door locks themselves are horrible cheap parts originally from some sort of Lancia / Fiat. Never did find out the exact model but the innards are basically little motors often found in some old scalextric toy cars. Yes really! I'll see if I can dig out the very old photo's I have of when I did a tear down on a broken one.

13. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I just had a new thing happen last night. Got home and parked and locked the car, one beep. Then clicked unlock and it beeped three times and unlocked and then relocked itself. At this point so long as I don’t lock the car it will disarm itself and start fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 mello, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    That has happened to me at 18K, and it turned out to be the door lock mechanism. The lock assembly cost about $400. Replaced it and readjusted the rod linkage. All is good. The three beeps is to warn you that an unsuccessful locking/unlocking has occurred.

15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That's interesting because it sure operate and sound quite loud like a solenoid. My beater Volvo has door mechanisms that definitely uses a motor. You can hear the whirring noise when it operates. Please post pictures if you can.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    When my alarm module started to die it did similar things w multiple beeping.