Follow-on to earlier Stupid Question | FerrariChat

Follow-on to earlier Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Slomo, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    #1 Slomo, Dec 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, I hope to get some more feedback from the group about the 3.2 Mondial. The car is reported to have recently had a 30K service and to have a total of about 28K miles.

Question 1. Does the engine in this photo look like it could have had a 30K service recently, or have only 28,000 miles?

Question 2. What are the loose hoses and connectors in the upper left hand side of the photo?

Question 3. Do interiors of Ferraris age as much as it appears this one has (mainly in the back). I do know this is a 17 year old car, but the miles are supposed to be low.

Question 4. Do you have any other observations on the photos?

I am keeping this on the NW area only, as I don't want to offend the current owner.

Thanks again for your help!

Dave C.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    #2 Slomo, Dec 7, 2003
  3. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    #3 Slomo, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    #4 Slomo, Dec 7, 2003
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Did the owner volunteer to explain what is going on in these pictures? I would "act dumb" and ask him....see what he says...there are some concerns...the hose goes to the oil cooler, which appears to be removed...perhaps to be repaired/replaced...not uncommon...on the right, the entire air intake has been removed, up to the air sensor. Not sure what is going on there, or why that would need to be removed...

The back seats do look kinda "ratty" to me...could be cleaned up or redyed. Notice the seats do not match the door panels or console? Is this a 88 or 89 car? There were some problems with dye lots fading oddly (different for the seats than the doors and console), so this may be normal, or the seats were redyed and not matched properly (unlikely).

The underside looks pretty normal.

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Well, the engine cannot be run without that braided oil hose connected... Obviously. So from that engine photo (if it was taken by the current owner) is probably in the midst of a service.

Dave, remember when we looked at James' 328 at the North Van show a while back and you pointed out his faded leather? His car was in very good shape and it still suffered from that, so with this Mondial, its probably in the same boat. The condition and colour can be fixed with a little bit of elbow grease.

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Peter, yes, the 88-89 328 (and possibly Mondials) had issues with inconsistent dye lots from Connelly. They were fine when installed, but faded differently over the years.

Yes, it may be getting a major service, but better to ask, and see what the owner volunteers. I just noticed that the car has extensive mods to the doors and dash for the stereo, and possibly the alarm. Depending on the buyer, this can have an effect on resale...Some folks don't like seeing all the mods.

Also, if you look at the rear seat photo...I see a black wire or something that comes from between the back and seat bottom...notice that where it starts from it appears tan, then turns black? This may be a sign the rear seats were previously dyed...not a huge deal, but something to take note of.

8. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    I knew you guys would spot a ton of stuff! I noticed the speakers in the doors as well the stereo/alarm stuff, a bummer but not a deal breaker. The owner says that all the seats were poorly re-dyed a few years ago by a previous owner, with the resulting ugly color in back. The current owner then re-re-dyed the front but hasn't done the back yet. From the rippled look of the rear seats, I wonder if Mondial's have a folding rear seat, if so then it looks like they may have been kept folded down to hide the unsightly leather which resulted in rippley leather and mashed foam.

BTW, the car is an '86, and asking price is $25K.

Dave C.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    From the looks of things, I think the shop that did the redye, matched the fading problem, because the proper color should look more like the console and dash.

To only redye the front seats screams "cheap owner" to me. The proper way to do this, and have it match is to do the entire inside, which is not easy, and can require a good bit of disassembly, as you cannot just mask everything, as it will no show as well. And, redye just doesn't hold up as well, typically, as the original finish.

Personally, I would move on, the cosmetics just seem a bit too rough, for the miles shown. They may be documented, and all that, but regardless, they were with the "whole family" in the car, or "party companions". :) Keep looking is my thought...

Here is a car with more miles (86k!), but better, honest looking cosmetics...and the car does not appear to have been recently detailed...note the dust and such. Coupe and ugly color, but nice cosmetics to compare with.... http://www.tillackco.com/sales/198632mondialcoupe/index.htm

10. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    Dave,

That is a good looking car, but I just can't do the color! It is lame, I know.

DC

11. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    Dave - You're right though, the cosmetics look very different.

Dave C.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm not recommending the car (far from it), but wanted you to see it as a comparison, and why I think you should move on.

There are better cars out there for similar money, wait for a good one.

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    There's another Mondial for sale in the Seattle area. Advertised in the FCA Newsbulletin, an '81 Euro, all done and ready to go... $26K

14. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    Slomo, I agree with DaveH. Pass for the $, there are better out there.The Mondials seem to suffer more from UV damage like 348's and some 355's...pertaining to the interiors...they can be delicate if treated like a Denim jacket as compared to your suit coat.

The seats look spray dyed which sucks. A dealer I purchased my 308 from re-dyed (spray painted) my seats using an outside restorer. The color was correct, but now that I try to condition the hides, I have to use a more exotic, labor intense product to hydrate the leather. The spray on dyes seal out many conditioners from getting to the hide.

It looks like these seats got wet at some time, and the dye job would have to be stripped and redone with the proper stuff...Help me out guys, Leather Rejuvenique? Anyway, this is just the seats...I'm new to the breed as well, the learning curve is steep. Take your time!

15. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Leatherique. They sponsor this site (at least I think they do). Many have used this system and reported about it here, so check the archives. I haven't used it (yet. And boy does it need it!), but apparantly, it works wonders.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sophia,
    Are you in the FCA club yet? You need to join and start coming out to our events. Heck come out to a couple events, so we can show you we're worth joining. :) We have an event this weekend. Email me for details...it is a garage tour of one of our members car collections.

You can learn a lot from our membership. We have many 308 owners, and they can share in many of the ownership issues.

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Dave,

I checked our membership roster, and Sophia (AKA- Peter B.) has been an FCA member since March 2003.

Peter... you should indeed come to some of the club's events. We have a great group of Ferrari tifosi here in the NW!

Gary

18. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Sophia/Peter B.,

I just realized that you and your wife were on the Christmas party list for the dinner in Bellevue. Sorry I never had a chance to meet and talk to you there!

I hope you had a good time at the dinner!

Gary

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I had the pleasure of sitting with Peter and Lauren at the X-mas party. We had a blast talking about cars AND airplanes. If you haven't seen Peter's 308 GTS yet it is a spotless Grigio/Tan '79. Very nice.
    With luck, Peter's (and Lauren's) schedule will jive with the garage tour.

DJ

20. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    Do any of you guys need a guest for the garage tour? I am not a FCA member yet but would sure like to go.... My generally friendly neighbor ('77 308) screwed me over and invited someone else!

Thanks,
    Dave

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Slomo,
    It shouldn't be a problem. Email me directly for details.

22. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Looking forward to the tour. Should be a fun day.