430 - For California residents, has anyone driven one of these routes?? | FerrariChat

430 For California residents, has anyone driven one of these routes??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tamahal, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    1 and 3 as they are the most local and central point to me and I like the ocean view. CHP beware!

I realize after doing these drives, I prefer going in an AMG or minivan if more of my family joined over my F430. My body isn't what it was like in college and the anxiety of breaking down and not being able to fix it right away is always on my mind. I blew an F1 hose just driving across San Jose and got stuck in N.

2. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I’m planning the drive from Carmel to Morro bay. Any advise from your experience in places to stop and etc?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    1 once it is breathtaking
    4 every weekend and I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The only place I truly wanted to go was Hearst Castle a little before Morro Bay. Beyond that I am not adventurous, just a driver my wife gives me POI's shes into and I head there.

There are plenty of look outs for you to choose along the route, I picked one with less traffic, though they tend to be less scenic inland. Again, I like the ocean view so it looks all the same to me viewing west, which is perfect. If you get to Morro Bay by evening, check out the sunset on Morro Rock. Very beautiful and peaceful when I went. Eatery... I'm not very cultured. I enjoy a bag of sweets and french fries.

5. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We have done most of these in our 360 and the PCH at least a half dozen times, from San Diego to Oregon and points north and return. Most frequent is Monterey and return. You didn't say what your entire itinerary is, i.e are you staying in Carmel, passing through, etc. Here are a couple of comments based on this incomplete info:

-You have chosen the right direction. The scenery North to South is much better IMO.

-A must do is Rocky Point restaurant, about ten miles south of Carmel. Spectacular food and unbelievable views.

-We really like Moro Bay. Always stay there on the return trip to SDiego. Good place to stay while visiting Hearst Castle which I would recommend if you've never been there.

Dewinator likes this.
  6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have done them all. When are you planning on going? Tons of summer traffic on hwy 1 south of Monterey. Leave by 8am and you will be able to enjoy the road and not just the views. Only 2 hrs to Hearst Castle from Monterey. By tickets in advance if during summer. Spend the night in Pismo Beach and have dinner at Ventana Grill (on the cliffs over the Ocean) or Ocean Grill in Avila Beach. I live 25 minutes from Pismo and know all the backroads

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Dewinator likes this.
  7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    5 is extra special the way the exhaust resonates off the redwoods.

8. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Cool... I’ll planning this drive in July from Fresno to Carmel. Staying one night at the Cypress Inn, our usual spot. Next day drive down highway 1 to Paso Robles and stay at the Allegretto. Grab a nice dinner , drink some wine and the following day drive to Fresno. One big circle, about 400 miles .

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I easily spent a year of my young, vacationing life in Cayucos [Relative's house overlooking ocean] & Morro Bay [Jack LaLanne & his Bride and our Family always ended up at same 2 tables at the same time. Years later, my Bride & got to continue a little tradition -Jack would point at our [fried] plates, pat gut as if it were fat - point at his [baked] plate & rub his belly as if it were heavenly] & can happily recall when Harmony's population was 13. Yes, 13.

Coolest graveyard ever is in Cambria - Cambria's had lots of names - in no order - San Simeon, *Santa Rosa [No, not that one], Slabtown, Rosaville. There's plenty to ease into & spend on in Cambria, 1 of 3 Monterey Pine Zones. As such, it has a far more Central-North Coast, even Victorian vibe than towns that are nearby, yet just South. But it's a drive up and up . . . just for those who've seen this'n'that times over & haven't seen it yet.

Cambria has many a small, romantic getaway hotel/motel with [Important] ocean views that your Bride will be most pleased by. If you like pebbles everywhere, driftwood big & small & tall grasses while savoring morning after and/or of coffee, Moonstone Beach is the place to be. That will be on opposite side of Freeway from small Downtown. Thank me later.

Sandy Beaches are just South, in Cayucos, where weather was always perfect for us. Lucky! Head to MB & not so much. Hoodies are a good thing. One is far more apt to find intact Sand Dollars along cliffed portion of Cayucos. Tide pools where descendants of many a generation of tiny crabs, etc. await & plot for my next far overdue visit - well, they were close to rellie's place after stairs. Otherwise, it would be quite the walk from pier.

*[As to the "current" northerly Santa Rosa, in my kidhood, there were a few truly ancient grapevines, such that if I was then the size I am now - I'd still not have been able to wrap arms around them. Ancient. Hope they weren't hit by fire.]

Speaking of grapevines, good Lord, the Central Coast region has exploded with wineries, and a fine selection to choose from. Time was when the best thing anyone had going was westbound approach to Paso Robles & those supplied Bartyles & James Wine Coolers. Favorite part of roadtrips in 60s & 70s was seeing greatest graffiti on side of a shack on SB Atascadero - King Kong Died For Your Sins.

Tennis Warehouse? San Luis Obispo.

Salt Water Taffy? Required by Law. Closest to Morro Rock & the stacks. You'll know.

Steakhouse? F. McLintock's - Pismo. Make sure to get pinquito beans, which are only the greatest bean ever. Servers are ahem, college age, fit, lovely & skirts are known to be hypnotic [Important: Do not let wife #1 see you staring]. Get dry beans from somewhere local [Santa Maria is growth zone] take them home, prepare them. Thank me later.

Clam Chowder? Splash Cafe - Pismo. Get it in the bread bowl. Mindbending.

Seafood? Jeez, too many to choose from. Fish [Cod] 'n Chips is de riguer. In Morro Bay, the Bayside Cafe is a wonderful way to start the day off right. It is off the beaten path & closest to tail end of harbor, while also being closest to estuary. Plus, there's some truly magnificent eucalyptus to not run into. BTW - That wasn't the LaLanne's folly. ;)

Great American Melodrama & Vaudeville? Oceano. Just a splendid way to make everything go away, even in the company of others.

So you want rent a Surfboard, as yours is at home, dammit?
    Morro Pier needs to be right, and when it is, it's great, but Spring's offshores & sandbars are gone - who knows how far inland monsoon season may somehow weird things out, eh? But I had my own secret spot down the road. Go all the way to south end of Cayucos residential oceanfront. There it is. Not The Rock, where wind, cold & crowd just give a headache.

Reco'd then? Pismo by pier. You'll know if it's the right day. If it's not, no, don't kook. If yes, go & get a light tri-fin longboard, and catwalk, 5 & 10 & own each wave. If the worst happens, die happy with the aftertaste of that Clam Chowder.

There's also a road or two, but you gotta pay attention to what's on either side, coming and going, up and down . . .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Love it! That’s true California !!

11. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Nepenthe at sunset, just south of Big Sur.
    When the Almighty looks out his window, that must be what he sees.