For everyone who does not Live in So Cal. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For everyone who does not Live in So Cal.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F360@20, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As a native of the Phila Suburbs, I have to ask, why are you moving here? Hope it is a great job, or girl, or whatever, 'cause yesterday it was 38 and we had a nice mix of rain and snow.

Although I have had only one day this year when the 4WD on the Land Rover was really necessary, and in a bad year you'll get 1/2 dozen 4WD days.

I have to add, however, that our traffic is a little easier to take than LA's, at least from my experience of a visit there a few years ago. 3 AM on a Friday night and the A10? (not sure of the route designator as I was jet lagged something fierce and going to my hotel from a wedding party) was packed with cars 3-4 lanes wide.

Oh, and we get 90 degree days here too. You'll love August with 90 degrees and 100% humidity.

But when you get out here, us East Coast F-Chat guys will look out for you!

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) 91 degrees is NOT hot; 105 is HOT! <snicker> 113 is REAL hot. But not Phoenix hot.

Houston gets 85-95% humidity during the summer, Austin runs 40%-60%, quite pleasant

June through August: you send the weatherman home and run a tape: Clear skies, 95-105 degrees, no chance of rain, humidity in the 30%-40% range. The heat drive away the humidity. Once you get used to it, its ok.

September through May: we get our second spring with the fall rain, have to suffer through 3 or 4 actual freezes (4-5 hours below 32 dF), then the spring begins in earnest with the BlueBonnets followed by Indian Paint, and Daisys.

3. Ronin

Ronin Rookie

Feb 18, 2004

I think I need to move to So Cal

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I am not sure any girl is really worth the move.

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thank you for that. Does not seem much different than San Francisco except maybe a bit cooler.

103 is not that hot, as I grew up in Southern California and can stand that. But I CANNOT stand the July 4th weather of Houston.

I am not too concerned with summer weather in Austin, as I spent the May-August interning at a Law Firm in So cal. So the application to AUstin is still a go for me :D

By the way, how are the chicks in Austin? I have seen them in dallas, and OH MY :eek:, everything is really big in TX like they say :D

LIke em, white, blonde, and big boobed, if that helps :D

6. liminality

liminality Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, unless your bank account is flush, don't bother. There was an article in the paper bragging how the percentage of families who could afford a median priced home in San Diego just went from 15% to 16%. To afford said home, you need 40% down and $94K a year minimum. And that home will be a P.O.S. tract box at least 40 miles from where you probably work.

Yeah, I live a block from the beach and have a pretty good time, but you know what? I'm 28 and it's pretty tough to build a secure future here unless you want to make $$ your top priority. If you're trying to lead a balanced life like I am...let's just say I'l looking to move this year.

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sad to hear you are moving. But before you do, don't forget the pics! :D

Yes I confess, I am as shallow as they come. Born and raised in Valencia, CA. LOL.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    My first home in Austin was 1900 feet, brand new, sitting on 2 acres of wooded land, that I got for $150K. This hose was 10 miles, 11 minutes with 1 stop light between me and work.

My second home in Austin is 2900 feet on 3/4 acres of wooded lot with a swimming pool and 9 terraced gardens for $250K. This house is 3 stop lights, 12 miles and 15 minutes from work.

When you think of it this way, the heat is much easier to take.

Did I mention four 1000+ acre lakes within 1 hour driving distance?

9. God I wish I lived in socal chicago sucks summer in chicago starts in june sometimes later, My definition of summer is 85F or higher.

Please 360@20 post some pics.

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    DAMN! Hard time deciding to take the bar in cali or tx!!

In my neigborhood starter houses are 550K, and decent ones are 850. 850 gets you about 3800 sq feet, 2 stories, 3 car garage, 13K sq feet lot.

11. Ronin

Ronin Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I suppose rents are just as outrageous? Sounds like Southern CT. a shoe box will run you half a million. It's disgusting..

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Here in the bay area, 400 sq feet studio apt 1100$.

13. bmwmpower48

bmwmpower48 Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Josh Kinard
    it was about 40 here and rainy yesterday.

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    looks like traffic, traffic lights and lots of other cars. doesn't seem too enjoyable. ha!

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

You must have missed the Benz, Bmw, Rangerover, palm trees and blue skies ;)

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #41 Schatten, Mar 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Benz, BMW, RangeRover = slalom
    Palm Trees = I prefer them shading the topless wonders of South Beach.

But don't get me wrong, I do enjoy LA, but have you ever just wanted to get out and go somewhere? Someplace that no one else but the road and you can enjoy? Don't think I want intimate relations and a candlelit dinner with a road. But... this is what I'd prefer. =)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes, at times I do fee like that, and am thus applying to UT Austin later this year. :)

Hopefullly that is a pic of Austin, otherwise my respose looks rather stupid :D

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    not Austin exactly, but the hill country. It's on the way to 337, just outside of Medina.

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That is all french to me. Is that far or close to Austin..LLOL