For those considering a 348 purchase | FerrariChat

For those considering a 348 purchase

Discussion in '348/355' started by bballto, Jul 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    Bought mine (1990 TS with 37k miles) about four years ago from a guy on this forum. Well maintained, red paint with tan interior. Thus far I've put about 10k miles on it and have really enjoyed owning it. Running costs have averaged about one dollar per mile thus far I but will need a major soon (5 years since last). Having had little previous experience with a manual, I've had the most fun learning how to master "the three peddles". In spite of the "negative press" on the 348, most people I run into at the gas station are excited to see it up close. I would highly recommend the 348 as a first time Ferrari purchase and suggest you do your homework on a particular car and be sure to get a PPI. Cheers

2. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Loving mine so far too, another thing to point out is that it's extremely simple mechanically and electrically, which means it's cake to work on yourself if you're so inclined.

Can really bring that cost per mile down significantly. The majority of my expenses so far have been restoration related, and not things that are actually broken.

crinoid likes this.
  3. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    Good point. I'm hoping others share their experiences to better benefit folks that are considering taking the plunge.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The negativity about the 348 is nothing more than Urban Myths

5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Nothing like perfectioning to drive a manual transmission and finesse the clutch on a 348 ... o_O

Fmuto42 likes this.
  6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Damn right...needs a snopes page :)

7. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Great to see the model getting the positive attention it deserves!

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol

9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Had mine a little over a year now and done about 3k miles.

Love driving it; it’s just a big go kart!!

A few costs along the way, most due to being fleeced on the ppi by what is suppose to be a reputable company, but that’s life.

“Normal” running costs are ok, as I’m uk based and we don’t get stung like you guys in America. Indies are good here and the main dealers pretend to want your business but as soon as you ask how much they loose interest despite generally price matching.

Really been enjoying meeting other Ferrari owners at various meets. Doing our second Ferrari driving weekend next month which should be another blast!!

Looking forward to putting the miles on; this Ferrari is about driving fun, not resale value!!!

10. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Had mine about 18 months. Once I got mine sorted out (botched engine out had to be correct by a F dealer, small crack in block repair and replaced the gas tank) it is running well and I’m enjoying it. Still have a few minor things to sort out like erratic climate control and possible bad wear bearing.

BTW, if you can’t do the work yourself be prepared to spend money.

First engine out - $8,900
    FoA redo on Engine out, block repair, replaced gas tank another $21,000.

I replaced the starter myself which was about $450.

So initial cost of car March 2017 $24,000 + $1,600 tax and $700 for new tires. I’m in $56 -$57k.

Any other car brand and I would’ve unloaded the car. But this is a Ferrari and to me it’s rolling art.

Vince FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I bought mine, work in progress, as I always promised myself one. I wanted no power steering, the dogleg gate, and no frills. Yes I could have bought something more modern, but is not what I wanted. As said big go cart. Mine is running well but nearly all minor things don't work. Passenger window, central locking interior light, steio etc. I can fix them along the way. Would I change her? No :)

vdettore likes this.
  12. carlo348

carlo348 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Had my 348ts(1992) coming up to 5years now. 2 engine out services along the way. Suspension/bushes all the rads, oil/coolant pipes done...oh and a crankcase bearing(that hurt). No plans to change it as puts a massive smile on my face every time I turn the key.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

vdettore likes this.
  13. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Excellent info! I’m hoping to pick up a driver quality example next year. I have restored several classic cars (Mopars, Mustangs, Trucks, etc) and do 100% everything myself so an example that is nice yet may need a few mechanicals may be up my alley. Really encouraging hearing these are relatively easy to work on from a mechanical standpoint.

Cheers
    Dave

steved033 likes this.
  14. Pilot Steve

Pilot Steve Rookie

Aug 8, 2018
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Adams
    As I am thinking about getting a 348 in the near future when finances will support it, it's great reading all the positives about this particular model. Thanks and keep it up, I love reading this

Sent from my VS995 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

vdettore likes this.
  15. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Pilot Steve,

Some thoughts from a 348 spider owner:

Check the increasing values of 348 spiders over the last few years, and it might suggest you purchase now rather than waiting. In just the last 3 years their values have jumped with no end in site.

Those that bad mouth, the easy to service, relatively inexpensive to repair , and one hell of a lot of fun to drive, just don't get it. 348's are treated like the ugly step sister, which by the way is the main reason the prices are lower (still a well kept secret). Most of the nay sayers have not experienced the fun of driving a real 3 pedal quick shifting positive clutch Ferrari. These cars are glued to the road, stop on a dime, and reasonably good acceleration.

I own a 1994 spider with 30k registering on the odometer. I am the 3rd owner with a host of service records. Extremely clean Car Fax which may add a bit of value. My wife purchased this car as a birthday gift for my 69th. This is my 4th Ferrari to date. I have owned this spider for 6 years with no horror stories. During my ownership, I have done a major service belts etc, and a clutch. I'm averaging 1000 miles a year, sharing driving time with my 400i. and a Shelby Cobra(fake), and a 442 convertible. So my seat time is limited but the 348 is always at the ready and never fails to respond.

It can sit for a couple of months, hop in hit the starter and it up and running ready to roll. I always use the battery disconnect switch and my car rests on one of my parking hoists with the tires off the ground. I always use ethanol fuel , have a station 5 miles from my home. One of the issues with ethanol is that it eats at the rubber sleeves on the dual fuel pumps buried in the fuel tank. When I did my major service I removed the tank, replaced those with new ones supplied by Recambi .

Sorry you are so far away or I could offer you some serious seat time, let you take it out and stretch it's legs, once you settle behind the wheel you will notice how everything is perfectly placed for your driving experience. Now the 348 will not snap your neck on accel but it ain't no Honda Civic either. The sound just gets better the harder you press the pedal with your right foot. I have pressed that right pedal to 125 mph and that was fast enough for a 75 yo fool. Top down at 125 the sound was enough to raise the hair on the back of your neck.

My suggestion to you is break into that fat 401k and invest in a 348 and watch your money grow faster than bank interest.

just sayin'

tr0768

Bertil likes this.