For Those Of You With A Hellcat | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Those Of You With A Hellcat

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Ferrari Envy, Jul 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    thanks guys, great info.

I just turned 33, own my own business and confirmed we have kid #2 on the way. I am really set on a 2 door, but I have been looking at the Chargers. I am still slightly considering a new 4 door truck, but since I am keeping my 2006 Sierra for the business, I doubt I will get a new truck.

They don't offer the manual in the Charger, but I'm wondering if that would even be a good idea with 2 kids.

My wife has a Ford Flex, so that has plenty of room for the 4 of us. This will be our default, around town every day driver and the Challenger would be for when I run errands by myself, or when we go out of town on trips and aren't in and out a lot.

Also, it has been suggested that I lease as appose to buy. I am not the type of person to turn cars over quickly. I have had my truck 10 years this month and it is finally showing it's age, but it's kept up well and I have no urge to get rid of it. Any opinions on leasing a performance car like this? I have little buying, and no leasing experience.

2. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Buy it, interest rates are low. Get the extended warranty and enjoy owning a "collector" car. You've waited long enough that there will be deals on the 2016s and the new Challenger TA might also interest you-basically the SP with the HC suspension and brakes-pls the TA hood.

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Just purchased a B5 Blue Scat Pack Challenger over the phone. Will pick it up in Fort Worth this weekend. Leather and auto for $38k. Closest I could get to a no option car. The auto is only $400 after you deduct the gas guzzler tax.

4. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm glad I scored mine when I did. I have a feeling the replacement for the Challenger won't be as appealing. Or at least not in the same manner.

But it better be good, because the Camaro and Mustang are both excellent cars for the money.

5. Ferrari Envy

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    I hadn't even heard about the T/A. Just looked it up, looks awesome, that will probably be the way I go. It's already lowered and has wider wheels. Probably not as low or as wide as I would go with aftermarket stuff, but enough for me to not want to break stock form for some time.

I didn't see any mention of the adjustable suspension though. The one thing about the Camaros that is awesome is you can option in the adjustable LT1 suspension on an SS for about $1400. Not a deal breaker though, the Challenger TA looks mean. Having driven a pickup for the last 10 years, I would be happy with either.

6. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    As someone who doesn't have kids, I am having trouble seeing how having two kids vs one kid affects the ability to drive a manual. From the sounds of it, you've already got a couple of other vehicles with autos, so why not get your fun car with a stick?

7. Ferrari Envy

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    With the one kid right now, he's always asking me to hand him stuff he drops, He wants me to hold his water up front, then he wants it back, etc. I do all this with my eyes on the road of course, and I am just thinking from an inconvenience, or possibly a safety standpoint, I don't want to have my right arm feeling around on the floor for a toy and have to shift or something. 2 kids doing this? I dunno, I haven't been there yet. Might not be an issue.

With the new T/A coming out, I am leaning heavily that way, since I would likely leave it stock. I think anything other than a stick would be foolish.

I do appreciate everyone's input. It's my first performance legitimate performance car and I want to keep it for a while. I think leasing is out of the question now that I think about it. I live an hour from Chuckwalla and I think I will inevitably end up there at some point. The closest I get now is Forza on Xbox.

8. Ferrari Envy

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    #33 Ferrari Envy, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the new T/A. So far the major differences are:
    1. Lowered .5"
    2. 9.5" wheels
    3. New hood, looks like the Hellcat hood
    4. Air intake around BOTH headlamps. Hellcat only uses 1, but will probably get the update
    5. Satin Black hood, trunk lid, filler door and side stripes. I don't care for this, but it doesn't look bad. It can always be painted later.
    6. Looks like factory hood pins, looks cool
    7. Super Track pack stock on T/A 392
    8. 6 piston Brembos on T/A 392, Scat Pack 392 only has 4. I can't imagine really needing this off the track

I don't normally care for stripes or graphics, but I think in this instance the side stripes tone down the huge haunches on the car and make it look a little tighter, although it looks great without them. I'm sure there will be a stripe delete option like on the Scat Pack.

I'm not thrilled about the satin black hood and trunk, but it's not a deal breaker. I think I am in the minority, and it's a special edition, so if I keep it stock and clean, should be easier to sell down the road.

The extra cost I think will actually save me in the long run. With wider wheels and lowered from the factory, I won't want to touch it from some time. Cheaper with this stuff from Dodge than new aftermarket wheels and tires.

I am also looking forward to new colors, whatever they may be.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
  10. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I REALLY want that satin black TA hood on my Scat Pack.

A bit off topic:

Any Challenger owners out there ever consider doing a muffler delete? I've been mulling it over for weeks now. Unsure about pulling the trigger. You Tube videos give me the impression that the sound is worth the $100 it takes to have a local muffler shop chop off the mid section mufflers and leave only the resonators in the back. I've been thinking about going the opposite direction and putting on an expensive Borla set up as well.

Any thoughts? Advice?

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I had one of these cars and loved it.

Best

Lee

12. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Lee

Did you tune your car? Or drive as is?

I just got one as a DD, and am thinking what to do with it. Definitely "fixing" the shifter. Unsure if I will tune it.

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I drive my car as it came from the factory. I am not sure what you want to fix on your shifter.
    My hellcat is a manual and is just a wonderful smooth shifter.

To be up front I cannot stop driving this car. The power and sound are intoxicating! Normally I drive a car for a few days than put it back in storage and get another car.

I have not driven my 458 in 5 months. I have no desire to drive the car! The 458 has been very reliable for me. I bought it in 2010.

best

Lee

14. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    #39 Face76, Sep 8, 2016
  15. definitelysomeday

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Sorry. Meant your R, not the Hellcat.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

@Face76 - nice ride!

16. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks great!

17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #42 ForzaV12, Sep 8, 2016
  18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Wow!

19. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    That's fantastic!!!

20. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Fwiw I prefer the scat pack to the TA....

Get the 39 grand scat pack and call it a day. You know at some point you are going to want a hellcat....707 freakin hp!

If it were me? Id go test drive both the A8 and the stick and then decide.

It's your money....make an appointment at the dealer to do just that...

That's what they get paid for.

I'd probably buy the A8 but only after test driving both..

I'm a gm guy but I give challenger scat paks all the time...they are cool as hell..

Next years wide body should be insane..

Google hellcats and scat packs on you tube...tons of videos to enjoy

Vanishing point