For those with F12 Experiance | FerrariChat

For those with F12 Experiance

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by wings, May 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    My previous Ferrari was a 2008 599 with the F1 Transmission. was excited about the F12 because of the Dual Clutch. Having driven the car about 250 miles I notice that at the slower speeds say 50, as you slow down and shift down some clunkyness is still there. Of course at the higher speeds and RPM the shifitng is faster and smoother than my 599. Now I also have a Huracan and it does not exhibit the clunk that the F12 does. It is buttery smooth. So I am asking if this is normal F12 transmisson behavior? This is with the Manitino in Sport. Have about total of 700 miles on the car. Thanks!

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The clunkiness you mention I don't notice it on my F12 in sport mode and to me the gear changes feel very smooth. I did notice that clunkiness in a previous Ferrari I had also with DCT and eventually with time it got worst. The result was a faulty sensor and after the diagnose the transmission had to be removed, the sensor substituted but fortunately I had an extended power warranty.

3. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Thank you.

deshapiro likes this.
  4. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    After a ride today I realized I may have described the transmission feel incorrectly. Occasionally, at lower speeds and RPM I can feel a down shift that is a little on the hard side rather than smooth as I get with my Huracan. Not a clunk, just a harder shift. Has anyone experienced this? 95 % of the time the shifting is good, just not great like I haved with the Huracan. Also is there a computer learning process that takes place as I drive? Adapting to my driving? Thanks.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have not detected a clunk in mine on any setting. These drivetrains learn and adapt to your particular driving pattern. If your car has very few miles on it and was previously owned then perhaps it is early yet and not settled in to your driving demands. If what it is doing concerns you then just consult your dealer service rep. There should not be a clunk on a normal downshift. I would go for a long drive in mixed type driving so both you and the car can get used to each other. At least then you can also describe better to the service rep what you are seeing. Good luck.

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    No computer learning. There are a set of TCU's that work in conjunction with the ECU's. That is the depth of my techjical knowledge....

MDEL likes this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Nearing a stop, while braking my F12 shifts “harder”. It’s definitely not a “clunk”, it’s just not smooth. Normal downshifts at speed it’s totally smooth, albeit annoyingly slow compared to my Performante, which is lightening fast. In fact, faster, better, more authoritative downshifts is one of the primary reasons that I’m excited about my 812 order.

8. wasax.rc

wasax.rc Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    Same experience. I chalk it up to the fuel management programming in sport. My 488 is worse, to the point I just drive on paddles sometimes just tooling around. I feel like these cars have a gear selecting issue at lower speeds because of fuel management. In RACE the transmission is perfect in sport or below it's like "not smooth" as you describe. I understand the emissions stuff but 7th gear at 40 miles an hour is annoying and when it downshifts your right, it's not smooth feeling especially if you decelerate then reaccelerate. Good question btw.

9. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Thanks for the reply's. Still trying to "learn" the car. Have to admit I was surprised with the transmission not being as smooth as my Huracan. I thought by now Ferrari would have a transmission that was just as smooth if not overall better than the Huracan. Especially where this is a 2017 and my Huracan is a first edition 2015. Still like the F12. I had a 599 and should have never sold it. I think of the F12 as a 599 on steroids. Have not had a chance to open it up yet. It just has 700 miles and I am easing into it both for the engine's sake and mine!! lol

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have the same experience with my 2017 F12b- at lower speeds, if you are in sport mode and slowing down, and want to go from 3-2 and call for it manually, the shift is a bit clunky feeling. I have found two ways around this. 1- use Race mode. Its a faster shift and doesn't feel clunky. Keep in mind Race mode has a more aggressive throttle setting and even different engine map so you will burn more fuel) 2- in slowing down situations like this, let the car shift from 3-2. It will do it for you and when it does it, it will be a lot smoother- though not perfect and it will still make a bit of a clunk.

As I see it, this is a Ferrari, and not a Bentley, so its ok that its a little rough in places. :)

slm, MDEL, F12KID and 1 other person like this.
  11. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Thanks. I will try that. Appreciate the reply.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had this on my FF (2013) forever and was a bit scary when it downshifted / ref matched/ in a right turn in the wet. However, since my last service, it seems to be tamed now so I think there may be a new sw fix.. last service had temp sensors in the gearbox replaced...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Nothing to worry about. They all do it at some point. Could it be a slight "mis-match" between ECU and TCU talking to each other.....

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Time to hire a translator?

15. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Wouldn't solve a thing.....just drive the....out if her....lol

16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ahhh yes, the famous "Italian tune up" - it really does work :)

F12KID likes this.