For you Bentley Continental fastback experts, a puzzler | FerrariChat

For you Bentley Continental fastback experts, a puzzler

Discussion in 'British' started by bitzman, Aug 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I saw lots of Mulliner bodied Bentley Continental fastbacks at Pebble and shot this car but then realized it is way too tall to be a Mulliner. I am thinking it's a Pinin Farina (they spelled it with two words back then) or maybe a Franay. Note the disappearing door handles, very Italian. These taillights seem very small. I'd rate this car as ugly in profile but A-plus in the details. Anybody know who built it and what year Bentley and chassis type it is?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 Bluebottle, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    I don't think it is either Farina or Franay, nor is it a Continental. I think it is by Mulliner, but predates (and possibly presages) the R-type Continental, best known in Mulliner form.

As far as I can recollect, the only FHC Bentley from this era designed by Pinin Farina, was the Cresta, built by Facel, but that was on a Mk. 6 chassis (as, I suspect, is the car in your photo). The Franay bodied Continental looked very like the Mulliner version.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John