Ford GT 139,995 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ford GT 139,995

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Napolis, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    All show and no go?
    What part of 5 sec. a lap faster than a 360 at Leguna don't you understand?
    Luggage?
    After that nice little case the battery tender comes in there's not much space for luggage in your Enzo either.

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Jim you are a paitent man for putting up with all of us but don't let this guy get you going.

HEY kvergs This guy KNOWS a little something go look at the old forum

3. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Sunny - To each his own. You have not committed treason. You just have different reasons for buying. If you are looking for fast, teutonic, less expensive - an M5, E55, p TT are fantastic cars. Daily drivers. Great value.

However, to say Ferrari have lost their competitive fire due to not focusing on top speed is really missing the mark. Once a car can go over 180 - top end is relatively meaningless. Its everything that happens up to that. Handling, balance, acceleration etc. An E55 is fast but most Porsche's and Ferrari's will completely destroy it if corners are involved.

4. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jim - When do you think it will be realistically possible to expect to buy a GT. I know they will be difficult to get one right away - but what are your thoughts around availability and production.

Thanks in advance.

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    It was just a figure of speech :) The likelihood of going with an M5/E55 are unlikely. They are just comparable to my next daily driver, thats all.

When you say, competitive fire, I say commitment to performance. Top end doesn't matter to me, its only an excuse to go faster so limiters are a good thing in my case.

There reaches a point where you simply can't go any faster even through the corners and I'm finding there are cars driven at their limits that are more enjoyable to own, where the performance barriers are a lot closer than they seem. Until we take them to the track where the differences are more apparent, I'm not going to be driving the track every week but I will be driving the canyons. ;)

Sunny

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rodsky
    I think it will happen sooner than later. There are too many interesting cars going after the same buyers the pool of which is not infinit. (IMHO)
    360,GT2, Gallardo, Used Murcie, 360cs, new 360, Ford GT, Blue Devil Corvette. All great cars.
    Best

7. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'll be very interested to see what the Ford GT does to S7 sales. There are now so many super car options that are much much less $$ than the S7.

Final irony is that Saleen will build part or most of the GT (correct?).

What do you guys think is the future for the S7. Is there a market for it?

Joe

8. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Joe V - If the GT's numbers are where they are now in production, I would take it over the Saleen S7 - almost price independent. I like the fact that it looks like a legend and its performance is close enough that I dont think one could justify $250K more for an S7. I would never consider an S7 though - there are better choices IMHO. I would take a Carrera GT, Murcielago, Stradale, 360 Spyder (probably in that order) before an S7.

9. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I agree with you completely Rodsky - I really wonder how many S7s Saleen expects to sell. Objectively, it just doesn't make sense to buy one; subjectively of course, people buy whatever they want. It'll be interesting to watch.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Funny - I was going to pose the same question. Now that relatives have gone out the door... am off to LA show - S-7 is one ride I've decided in advance to take a look at.

11. Moondog

Moondog Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    North Carolina
    Its not 100% yet, but I think I've got a GT coming to live with my F-car.

I'll know more after the 5th of Jan. I think it will be a fun car to have in the garage for a while.

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Will you be trading in the Saab?

13. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    What about the Enzo being on the list I do not anticipate the Carrera GT being found at every local dealer. A Porsche is a great car if your inspired by the sound of a VW Beetle. It is amazing all of the internet sites that have sound bites of a Porsche winding it up- phutta phutta.

Interesting that every cover story of the Forkd GT has had a specific comparison of the GT to the 360. After 4 years someone is finally comning to where Ferrari was with the 360 in 1999, or have they?

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The Enzo is both over priced and unobtainable without spending even more money than MSRP because it carries unique styling and the Ferrari heritage with it.

As I said in my post above, if your buying a performance only car, there are alternatives and Ferrari is not the benchmark but owners truly believe they are.

Cover story is one thing, the Ford GT would not be produced just to beat the 360. But, every other car out there in the bracket its competing in and some of those above it that is obtainable to the general public.

You don't see someone with a million dollars who wants one thing only, a trackable/street performance machine, buy an Enzo. They'd buy a McLaren or something else from the list. The Enzo is for the people who "gotta have" and these people are not driven by performance first.

The Enzo commands respect but it is not the sharpest tool in the drawer.

As Rodsky and I said, once owners realize they didn't buy solely on performance, the need to compare to other cars doesn't exist but it will happen.

The excuse, but its still a Ferrari or the other car is only something else, does not fly when 1st place is at stake and your on the track or racing off the track.

Personally, there is a point with a moderate performer that becomes too dangerous to drive at its limit on the street, let alone a super car. A car like this will be fine for my daily driver that I can really drive at its limits now and then, especially on the track. When I'm ready for even more performance, I will buy something else. When I'm ready to cruise and put the top down, a Ferrari spider or targa would be my #1 choice.

Sunny

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Inspite of what you anticipate unlike the Enzo, the Carrera GT will be availble at EVERY P dealer worldwide to anyone who can afford one.
    You may care about sound.
    P cares about winning something they do quite well.

16. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Actually - I have heard the Carrera GT and it sounds really good. Very good actually. This is a seriously good car. In its price range it is probably without peer.

Sunny - I think I would add the Enzo to that list. I would say that around almost any track it will be faster than a McLaren - similar power/performance - the Enzo has far better handling and braking.

17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The McLaren didn't make the list either :D I would bet on the Enzo too.

Sunny

18. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    Talk about daily drivers, how about the new CL65 AMG Benz (612 HP/737 TQ)

Hate to have that thing pull up next to my Viper on a roll.....ouch!

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Have you ever heard a 930, or any Porsche with a nice exhaust? They do not sound at all like a beetle.

20. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    AutoWeek has a Flash on this subject, It states that in Press releases Ford say's " Transaction prices are determined by authorized Ford dealers" and "excludes optional equipment" I think we all know what that means.

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #96 Chiaro_Slag, Jan 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    And that was only because more power would have meant too much stress on the rest of the body. Isn't that something? :)

The 930 is nice, the CGT is a stunning all around car!

23. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

What a beatiful car...it is to bad the GT is out of my price range :(:(

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That is correct.

Factoid: VW 411 had same engine as Porsche 914, as my Pop continually reminded us. "Young wax," he'd say, "this has the exact same engine as a Porsche(!!!!)
    Have heard quite a few (not 930's) - esp. as of late - that make a sound other than "pooooooooorsche." Growling, even.
    After attending the show, I wager if they market right (they sure are at LA show) Porsche is going to sell their entire range like gangbusters in the coming year. Like they weren't already - but still - I think this is the year of Porsche Fever.
    BTW, I wouldn't dream of trading in my Slaab. As little as I'd get for it? Ha!

Good: GT-40 had the deepest crowd of onlookers on first day of show.
    Bad: Way too many scratch/swirl marks on white paint w/ blue stripes. Informed them as such.

25. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ok, huge Ferrari fan here, Schumacher and Brawn are my heros, and I will own one sooner than later.

That being said, anyone saying Ferrari is the benchmark to measure all others is living waaaay up in a tree. Other than F1 (boy that has real-world relevance), Porsche does set the standard for real-world performance, at any price. Chevrolet sets the standard in bang-for-buck.

Someone on this thread said Ferrari vs. Ford was like US vs. France? You're right, Ferrari will lose. I will admit that Ford has not done a good job in F1, but in the world of sports car racing Ford will dominate if it so chooses. I'm not a big Ford fan, but that's a fact.

The GT is an awesome car, no doubt. But for MY $140k there are too many other options: 512TR, 550, Diablo...

Mark