Ford GT 139,995 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ford GT 139,995

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Napolis, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Oh yeah, and to anyone who says a Porsche sounds like a VW, PTHHBBHHTTT!!!

My 914 has the same basic engine as a VW 411, yes. It also gets mistaken for a 6-cyl engine on a regular basis because of the exhaust I'm running, sounds great and is wicked-quick on the right track.

The 6-cylinder Porsches have a wonderful deep growl and anyone who's ever been passed by a 3.8l RSR will never mistake the sound for anything else.

My 928 had a wonderful thoroughbred scream at seven grand, nothing like a VW, or a Corvette for that matter. :) And the Carrera GT has a sound like nothing else this side of an F1 car. Porsche has a sound all its own, just like Ferrari. And I can't wait to have the Ferrari scream at my own beck and call....

Mark

2. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
  3. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    SRT-10 That was very well said. I agree, What great choices are available.

4. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    What, "Ford will dominate if it so chooses"??? I what area Mark does Ford dominate?

Do you sell Fords for a living?

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Almost everybody wants a Ferrari, who cares if it the fastest at the moment because in a few years something faster or with more performance will turn around, just like it happened with the Ford gt. Ferrari and Ford didn't set a bet or the conclusion on who could build the best sport car from scratch, so the media its pretty stupid with the publicity stunt of the Ferrari Ford wars, that sounds so stupid and idiotic. It is very easy for Ford to build a faster car after the 360 was out for some time, they knew the 360 so they knew what they needed to do to have a faster car. It is obvious that the 360 motor can handle 500 h.p. with a supercharger or better yet normally aspirated, but the sad thing is that likely Ferrari will not care about Fords move and not much will be done about it. People that buy Ferrari's will not buy a Ford gt. I am one of those that would rather buy a used 360 for $140,000 over a $150,000 Ford even if the Ford was $120,000, and also no matter what the Ford name doesn't sound special at all, its like saying "meatloaf" and then "osobuco a la milanese" or "vino" and "pepsi cola".
    Another thing the Maclaren F1 its an ex,the F50 was a better car and most likely faster in the track also, but not faster in straight line or top speed. The Enzo does 217 and the F1 231mph but that means nothing because there is no place on earth where the F1 could catch up to the Enzo to beat it in top speed. The Enzo leads the way anywhere anytime. The Maclaren its pretty pathetic if compared to the Enzo. Also it should be the BMW F1, that engine is wonderfull but now it seats in an old tractor, sorry Maclaren.

6. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    So that means your just buying the car for the name and are gladly paying the more expensive price to have the word "Ferrari" on a car instead of "Ford".

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    So if you have the money would you buy a Rolex, a Tag or a digital Casio watch? You tell me Arizona.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'll second that - although the whizzy/smooth sound isn't for everyone, I have heard some great aftermarket exhausts... this summer a C4 Cab with an obviously custom chrome exhaust roared past me in downtown Boston and I was quite impressed (sounded like straight pipes).

9. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Casio, because it will tell time just as well, or even better, has more features, I can look at it and quickly read the time, cheaper to replace, less risk of getting stolen, and last but not least, just because you can afford one doesn't mean you need one.

10. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    ARIZONA , the funny thing is that you didn't need to reply back if you didn't want to but because you could afford too then you did,, you just prove that people do or get what they can afford to so you go buy a casio and I'll be the Rolex guy, And You Are Entitle To My Opinion aNd I'm LOL At YOu MorON...

11. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    If I didn't spell anything right it was bacause I was laughing to see you reply, you are predictable. Just don't hurt yourself and happy new year, cheers!!!

12. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Nope, but I sold Mazdas until yesterday, the only Japanese brand to win Le Mans. :)

What I meant was this. Ford is a giant and Ferrari is an insect in the automotive world, and even though Ferrari's parent company is also a giant, it's a malfunctioning hiccup just waiting for a takeover. In the world of F1 it takes two things to win, money and experience. Ferrari has the money and the experience there, but Ford could make it happen if it decided to focus there.

Ford made a corporate decision to go after Le Mans in the 60's and it dominated after just a few short years. It can and will do it again "if it so chooses." Ferrari is just a fart in a hurricane if that happens.

Now Ford will NEVER have the style, grace and sheer sex appeal of Ferrari, and the fact that Ferraris continue to do well against better-funded opposition (Prodrive vs. Corvette) speaks volumes for their excellence. I love Ferrari, but if Ford decided to flex its corporate muscle it would dominate. Sorry but I'm just being realistic.

Forza! :)

Mark

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Id take the Rolex also.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Even if a supermodel was lousy in bed, most guys would prefer a shot at her over anyone else.

I've always loved Ferraris, and yes, they possess an aura that no amount of German precision can supplant. But it amuses me when issues like this bring out opinions that imply that there can only be "one", and we can only like "one". With all these unbelievable cars out there, I wish I could afford to buy them all and fill up a big old barn with them and spend my days driving the hell out of all of them and...OK, back to reality. Anyway, a lot of spit is being wasted comparing cars that, at the hands of professional drivers, are within tenths of seconds of each other. 5 seconds around Laguna Seca is one thing. But I doubt most of these Ford dealers who get their hands on the GT first will come close to extracting the performance out of them for which they are capable. The numbers on all of these cars look impressive in print but are good for little more than bragging rights. The Enzo is a big performer, but how many of them ever see any side-by-side competition? Ask anyone who tracks their car. All the performance in the world is useless if you suck as a driver.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    ...or as a human being, like allanlambo.

16. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    Speaking of Corporate muscle, Ford Motor Co credit rating is just one notch above junk bond status and they are in heavy debt. In fact you can earn 8% interest on Ford's Bond. I really don't see much corporate muscle in Ford. Ferrari, on the other hand, is at least making money and they can rest assured they can always sell all the cars they produce. It is much easier for Ferrari to get big sponsorship for their racing program than Ford.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

no rolex's for me boys..give me a breguet any day!

18. ferraripete

...and i did see the ford gt today at the san diego auto show today. i think i will begin to think of adding this car to my stable. seeing the 360 and then the gt...w/ a change of wheels, there is no comp. between the two...the gt-40 has always been and always will be one of the most sexy sites on the race track. after seeing it on the road, people will not even give the 360 a second look.

to jim glickenhaus...do you think a set of brm or halibrand style wheels will be avail for the gt? i will make mine a bit more vintage looking as far as the wheels go.

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Casio and Ford GT.

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Speak for yourself. I think the Ford GT is a great buy at 140k, and I would buy one myself at that price, especially if the Car & Driver road test is accurate, but I like the looks of the 360 better, and an informal survey of my friends indicates I'm in the majority.

Gary

21. ferraripete

gary,

sorry for the confussion but i was speaking for myself. i may have needed to be more clear however i do think ford has done well to maintain the original gt-40's good looks while making it a bit more functional. i do again mention that the wheel choice for the gt is a bit ...horid, but i hope that can be improved.

i do again apologize for being a bit too general in my statement, but it really would be fun to see a gt and a 360 at a traffic light. you just know the bystanders would be looking for all hell to break loose!!!

cheers, pcb

22. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Both the 360 and the GT are beautiful and both would generate excitement at a traffic light. I would disagree with the statement that someone would not give the 360 a second look in the presence of a GT. But - Ferraripete - as opposed to you, I will not say "who was the clown that said after seeing it on the road, people will not even give the 360 a second look". :) I still maintain that real track/race cars are 2WD and not 4WD.

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I think there will be many after market wheels and tweaks. I believe Ford is also offering different wheels.

24. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Interseting how when this giant decided to reintorduce thier Lemans legend that it shows up with a Mustang GT motor that even with a supercharger falls short of the 100 hp per liter mark.
    Has Ford made automotive history with this techno wonder, is the GT really the state of the art in regards to sports cars, or is Ford the masters of smoke and mirrors.

25. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    I just got back from the LA car show. The Ford Gt looked really well proportioned with great lines. From what I read it will be hard for ferrari to beat until they come out with the higher displacement engine. The gallardo didn't seem to look right on the floor. i have seen it around LA though and it seemed better on the road. No Enzo which was a disappointment, but the Stradale with the strip looked sweet.