Ford GT 550hp | FerrariChat

Ford GT 550hp

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by allanlambo, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Take a look at this (Doesn't suprise me as the prelim tests suggested nearly 500hp to the wheels):

2005 FORD GT WILL DELIVER 550 HORSEPOWER IN PRODUCTION TRIM

The Ford GT's official horsepower rating has been set at 550 horsepower - more than 100 hp per liter.
    Car & Driver magazine clocked the Ford GT's 0-60 mph acceleration time at 3.3 seconds, and it reached a quarter-mile in 11.6 seconds at 128 mph.

DEARBORN, Mich. March 1, 2004 - Final certification testing of the 2005 Ford GT's powertrain shows that the car's 5.4-liter DOHC supercharged V-8 is producing an average of 550 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque - 50 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.

"With more than 100 horsepower per liter, the performance potential of the Ford GT is incredible," said John Coletti, Director, Ford SVT programs.

For its January 2004 cover story, "Judgment Day!" Car & Driver magazine clocked the Ford GT's 0-60 mph acceleration at 3.3 seconds, and it crossed a quarter-mile in 11.6 seconds at 128 mph. In the same test, Ferrari's $193,000 Challenge Stradale took four seconds to reach 60 mph, and was 0.8 seconds and 13 mph slower through the quarter-mile.

"The Ford GT is a showcase for Ford's design and engineering capability - and pure passion for building great cars," Coletti added.

The Ford GT's chassis is as sophisticated as its engine is powerful. The car is built around an exceptionally stiff but lightweight aluminum space frame and the suspension is a double-wishbone design with coil-over monotube dampers.

Aluminum is also used for the body panels. Other lightweight materials, including carbon fiber and magnesium, are used throughout the vehicle. The brakes are equally sophisticated, featuring four-piston Brembo calipers that grip massive 14-inch front and 13.2-inch rear cross-drilled and vented rotors. The gearbox is a rear-mounted Ricardo six-speed manual transaxle.

Ford recently announced that the winning golfer's prize package at the Ford Championship at Doral will now include the all-new Ford GT. Valued at more than $140,000, the Ford GT supercar will be the most valuable automobile prize in the history of the PGA Tour. And now, with 550hp, it's the most powerful.

The 2005 Ford GT's 5.4-liter V-8 will be built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mich. The vehicle will be assembled at Ford's Wixom Assembly Plant in Wixom, Mich. Production will begin this summer with deliveries to dealerships beginning shortly after that.

The Ford GT's MSRP of $139,995 excludes optional equipment, destination and delivery charges, applicable taxes, and title, license and registration fees. Transaction prices are determined by authorized Ford dealers.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I love this car. WOW :D

Allan, are you going to consider one of these beasts?

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I dont know. Performance is great, but not a big fan of the looks. maybe on a resale i would. For 90k, i could have a bad ass Porsche that will dust it.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

i think they've done a stellar job updating the original, gorgeous GT lines of yesteryear.

and with these kinds of performance numbers the beast gets to be looking even prettier, imo.

doody.

5. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Great now the Murcielago gets beat by a Ford! Ugh! Its an ok car and Im not to thrilled by its looks either. I would still take the murci even if its getting beat up by a ford.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Well, by the time the Ford hits the streets, or soon after, the new Murci is expected to hit, lighter and more powerful, rumored 750hp.

7. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

That would be excellent!

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    neat, but you're comparing apples to oranges, aren't you? the murcie's MSRP is 2X the ford gt.

the saleen will probably beat the new murcie, right? so what.

doody.

9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Yes but you are probably talking about a modified 996TT.
    The Ford GT can also be modified for pennies.

I think the stock F/GT can take care of a stock 415 bhp 996 TT.

They are both good cars.

10. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I find it ironic that you, Allan, post what seems to be a complimentary post about a topic, only later to contradict your initial tone with a sleight. The ford GT is a great car, but you only found it prudent to nitpick it after someone revealed an inclination toward it.
    Funny stuff....

11. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I think allan is looking at a 993TT :D