Ford GT crushes Ferrari in resale value.... | FerrariChat

Ford GT crushes Ferrari in resale value....

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Kayvan, Aug 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Sorry, not interested. I mean if it was a REAL/Original one, I would at least read the article.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont understand. It's not that rare. I think they made more than 3000..

3. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    It says 1 of 343 heritage editions

Gorgeous car id love to own one though ive never read feedback on how they are to own and drive

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    What a shame. The value in that car is that it is unused. In order to keep the value, you can't drive it.

Cars were meant to be driven. That poor GT has sat for its entire life.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Garage queen. It will unfortunately always be a garage queen.

The Ford GT has become another Dino. Speculators are flooding in thinking its only going up.

I like the car but let's face it -- its a modern copy of a classic design. It's always going to have that issue.

It's like saying the 2014 Mustang Bullet edition will be valuable like the 1968 car.

Really?

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    True, and I think that "retro look" new cars have passed their "sell by" dates.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The 'regular' GT (which they built 3000+) is also selling for more than the Ferraris they were up against. Yes, there are more 360/430 but a nice GT will probably set you back $200k minimum. I guess one should compare the GT to a Scuderia..

They are amazing to drive. I loved driving it. It felt sooo composed and yet soo powerful. Much more planted than a 360. You just wanted to drive the thing on a b road for hours and hours. I wasnt a fan of the sound though..

8. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Pardon me, but the RETRO-Look cars are just plain awful. The ULTIMATE case of "Posing."

I would NEVER own one.

But I grew up in the Muscle Car era, so sue me. ;)

Want a Muscle Car, BUY ONE !!!!!! Please ! Get one, restore it; Keep it on the road !!!!!! :)

But do not encourage "Detroit" by spending your hard earned dollars on these FAKES.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Could you clarify your opinion for me? It seems as though you aren't really sure how you feel about modern retro fakes! :D :D

I too grew up in the late 60's muscle car era and, even though I have always been a sports car fan, I do really like to see a cherry Chevy Chevelle SS396 or a pre-Judge GTO, heck almost any of those cars with big V8s in them!

10. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    :)

11. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    They apparently made 4000 over a two year period, but what other modern, high end, american made, muscle car is out there? And they are sweet looking, plus if you grew up in the 60s idolizing the gt40, then this would be a great car to have.

12. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I would buy a Shelby Cobra REPLI-CAR. But I would drive the wheels off and put it in the junk yard by changing the oil thru the exhaust pipes.

The REAL Muscle Cars have had their day.

Want one? Buy one. Love it. And keep it on the road for this old fart to see and enjoy.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I don't get the pricing beyond speculation. I'd peg it as a $150k car myself. But what do I know.

The more I think about it.. is there ANY other ford that is unique and high performance and potentially collectable? No.. the Cobra Supersnake version of their Mustang doesn't count. Its a regular $9k car with a bigger engine.... all due respect to their owners, not intending any disrespect..

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    it is just a novelty. With the seats and steeringwheel still covered and all.

15. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    You are being GENEROUS IMNSHO.

16. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Great to hear they drive as well as they look. I really hope to own one someday

17. otis

otis Karting

Mar 5, 2011
    Mpls
    Sure glad I bought mine under MSRP. No offense taken here, but its The only American made super car. I love the current exotics, but I always come back to my FGT. If I had to only keep one car that's the one.

For a modern car that's the only one I ever purchased that has appreciated. I love them all, but that one is special. Every other car has been a depreciating money loser. I still buy them for the love of the cars.

The only other car I'd compare it to for appreciation would be like buying an Enzo era Ferrari back in the 70s before they went full tilt. Back then they were cool, but who would have thought what they are worth today. The current FGT will never achieve that kind of status, but is there a current car made in the last 10 years that has even appreciated? Exclude cars with under 500 in production.

I agree that amount of money is stupid though. I can only hope the dumb ones keep buying them at that price.

Otis

18. .:Raul

.:Raul Karting

Oct 4, 2007
    Chicago, Il
    Full Name:
    Raul Tomsa
    Thread title is kind of pretentious

Dislike

19. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Saleen S7 comes to mind, no?

20. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Basing buying exotic cars off of their resale value, wtf.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #22 TheMayor, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    I remember when I first went to Monterey in the 80's, there was one minor auction on one night (I think it was Friday night).

Now, how many are there?

My point is that there are more and more speculators getting into this market driven by ego, greed, manipulation, and over hype. They are pushed by auction houses who's only intent is get you on both ends of the deal -- going up and going down.

It's not good for enthusiasts. It's like the bankers have taken over our hobby. Real enthusiasts can never buy any of these cars and enjoy them. Speculators put them in heated garages, keep them a few years, and then put them back up for auction.

This is somehow good?

I fail to see it.

22. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mecum also had a $100k+ VW bus, I wouldn't necessarily consider this weekend to be the true indicator for market values.

23. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Agreed, compared with what??

I'm thinking some of those prices are a bit outta hand

24. Kayvan

Kayvan Karting
    BANNED