Ford GT...is it a Ferrari killer? | FerrariChat

Ford GT...is it a Ferrari killer?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Paul@Webb, Jul 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Paul@Webb

Paul@Webb Rookie

Jun 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Paul Hudetz
    So how do you like some of the reviews comparing the Ford GT with other high preformance cars? Even if it is faster, I like the looks of the Ferrari better.

2. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Paul, it will be interesting to see the performance numbers of a production (non proto type) car. You may have seen the Speed Vision program interviewing Ford engineers who claim the car's performance is "close" to the Enzo. A bold claim which if proven true, is quite staggering for a car which has an MSRP roughly equivalent to an X50 911 Turbo and less than a 360.

I happen to like the looks of the car a lot; and I was supposed to get one but the dealer is playing games. I don't want to pay too much over list, if anything at all.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    imo, at MSRP, yes, it is a ferrari killer. but they're currently selling at $200K+ levels. i think it's a tougher question to answer at those levels.

doody.

4. Paul@Webb

Paul@Webb Rookie

Jun 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Paul Hudetz
    I hear the Enzo is going for $1.4 to $1.9 range. GT's would be about 1/4 of that or less. Is their a law of deminishing returns here?

5. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    $1.9? Never seen that. Have yet to see one go over 1.4 mil, ( which Im pretty sure have seen at Black on Black Imports.) If you could, please post where you've seen this price. I am curious.

RocketBoy

6. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Mike Sheehan says the "real money" on an Enzo is about a million dollars. Let's assume it is only $800,000. Still, a Ford GT is 1/4 the price. It remains to be seen whether the Ford GT is in the same performance class as an Enzo.

7. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    575Mike,

With only 2 posts, I doubt Paul is going to show us the 1.9 million price. The FordGT for Chicago seemed kind of a strange and out of place post. Wouldn't come too much of a shock to see this guy list Ford car dealer as occupation or in previous cars owned profile list Explorer or Mustang. Maybe he can write up opinions or here-say on Gary's detaling shops. This is no front to you guys (Paul and Turbo,) but conversation in this section has really been about helping or informing each other. The guys who participate have made an impression on me as really friendly and just great fans of Ferrari. No commercial pitches or odd and no direction statements.

RocketBoy

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    No

9. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    RoketBoy,

I never thought of that but who knows? Paul could also be blissfully ignorant of Enzo prices. I do find it amazing how the Ford GT has turned into an absolute feeding frenzy and greed fest with the full participation of Ford dealers. Did you see in another post this week where it was alleged that Ford is in a "world of hurt" on the GT--all sorts of manufacturing problems. It would be kind of hilareous if that is the case. We'll see.

Mike :)

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The statement is borderline to an ad and I felt tempted to pull it, but won't as it does make for a somewhat interesting conversation (once Ford has actually decided what engine goes into the production car). Similar comments can be made about Turbo. I'm trying to be not too heavy handed, but you're right, this ain't a place for ads. If you want to advertise, become a FChat sponsor.

11. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Andreas and Mike,

I really could care less about the Ford GT talk here. It seems on Fchat people are so hyped up about an American Ferrari killer. Who really cares and it is stirring up the pot for no reason. Viper and hopped up Mustangs have been taking Ferraris out for a few decades now. The new GT will blow the doors off a 355/360. IMHO, I'd get more satisfaction looking at an Italian classic in my garage. The Ford is going to rock and if I had the money, it would be really hard to choose between a Gallardo and GT. The GT has such classic lines but pulling into a Ford dealer for service, ( not so much the association to parking it next to Windstars, it's the feeling will it get the attention it needs, ) lacking the 4wd, and having to answer to 17 year olds in their sport exhaust Saturns and Impreza WRX's is a great hill to climb.
    Nothing will ever come close to the power and achievement the 67 LeMans winning GT40 produced. Greats like McLaren and Ickx drove the GT40! When I see the new GT on 294 and Bob the dot com great or Mack the building contractor blows by me and starts weaving in and out of traffic, this new GT's image will fall flat. The new GT seems like a car that is appealing more to the streetlight to streetlight jerks than the true enthusiast. Once the hype falls, so will these cars. I'd give them a year before the over-spending stops. Wouldn't be shocked if Viper shows a hooded street legal GTS shortly afterwards or Vette comes out with a 600 HP freak. I give Ford credit, amazing look, but feel it will be short lived and put into the wrong category. Would love to see one in person (away from shows ) and owned by a sensible driver.

RocketBoy

PS: Last issue of CAR and Autoweek stated how the Bugatti Veryon is now claiming speeds at 205, not 250. That it is having many heating and stability problems and as our Swiss source should already know from shows in Europe and his media, it's production has been bumped back an entire year... again.

12. Paul@Webb

Paul@Webb Rookie

Jun 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Paul Hudetz
    So I admit, I am a beginner here. I don't have all the answers, but I thought this was a chat board. Does my occupation exclude me from participating on this board? Do I have to be a current Farrari owner to chat? By the way, I am from the Chicago area, so I posted here, is that strange? I do want to thank those poster that have been nice enough to reply with some intellegent feedback regarding the Farrari vs.GT hype.

13. Paul@Webb

Paul@Webb Rookie

Jun 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Paul Hudetz
    And do I realy have to know how to spell Ferrari?

14. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Welcome Paul. I love these debates. I love Ferrari, but my new 98 TNT 520 Viper will be here tomorrow. My 355 is just too slow by todays standards. Most of the guys here will go out of their way to help you or have a decent debate, but others are just plain snooty. The lambo chat or other car section on this site is a much better place to debate the Ferrari vs. GT.

I think a couple of guys there, AJ and bannana boat have deposits on them.

15. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a deposit down on a Ford GT. My partners and I have owned over half dozen Vipers. Fast although I had issues with their build quality. I love all cars from British cars to American muscle to German cars to, of course, Ferrari.

Paul, there are snooty Ferrari owners and there are snooty Viper owners and there are snooty people period. Any goof ball with enough money can own a car. I've owned a lot of cars and hung out with a lot of different car guys, and gals. I have my general opinion about the typical "profile" of a Ferrari owner, Viper owner, Porsche owner, etc.

Paul, nothing wrong with being a beginner as we all have to start out that way. I still consider myself a beginner when I compare my knowledge, or lack of it, to a lot of people who really know their stuff. It's fun to keep learning!

Paul, you don't have to be an owner to join in on Ferrari Chat. Also, I've noticed that there are is a lot of BS on F Chat. I wonder if some of these people really own the cars they say. I'm sure some of these people are just BIG talkers. One can make pretty bold claims behind a key board.

By the way, I've noticed that some of the local or regional F Chat groups have these sort of cliques. That happens in any club/group/etc. Then there people like Andreas (a/k/a "Tifosi12") and others who will go out of their way to help you. I don't know Rocket Boy but he seems like a pretty good guy, he is probably skeptical of some of the folks who come onto F Chat with ulterior motives.

PM me if I can ever do anyting for you. Let's stay in touch. Take care. Sorry if you were hurt or offended in any way. :)

Mike

16. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    No Paul this wasn't an attack towards you... and I did write down my comments on the perception I am getting for the Ford GT. You will see once in a blue moon someone post something that seems completely out of place. In other cases, and as our local moderator will point out, others simply for an ad pitch. Since we have gotten many of those lately if a post seems to have alternative motives they would be scrutinized pretty quick. Understand now? I thought I asked pretty nice for the source of the close to 2 million Enzo quote anyway. And my statements about how there is way too much awful debate on how Ford vs Ferrari will make any Italian car garbage you will see in just about any chat category. For example, the ruthless and having absolutely no point AllanLambo would go from category to category just completely bashing any Ferrari product, owner, even anyone who would look at the car. He would write a bland statement how Lambo, Vette, Porsche any car is better than the one being posted on for that link. No reasons why, no comparison figures, just a very baised and childlike mine is better than yours post. Just a few weeks ago for a Chicago post, a few people not from this area were more than happy to comment on how an outrageous looking 360 owner in the Chicago area had as much class as a white trash trucker. Not asking why he styled his car the way he did, how he is as a person: just based on one pic of the car they wrote how they knew all about the driver. I was about the only one who stood up for this unknown owner and posted people simply state a yes or no I do not like it quote and not attack the person's character that they never even met.

Everyone in the Chicago section knows each other by name, goes to each other's shows and functions. General debate hardly ever happens in the Chicago post.

I don't own an Fcar anymore as my daily driver is either an H2 or Dodge Hemi. Amongst this Chicago crowd I am also one of the younger participants. I think those who can afford 200K plus cars don't look at the specs too much. We all have our own tastes, and go with the image and the memories of the particular car from our childhood or from what we have seen gorwing up. An Aston DB9 owner goes for class, even though he might get the same and even better peforming car from a slightly used 456 Ferrari. A Roller owner could care less about gas milage or the outrageous HP and Trq figures the Banglized BMW car has, more so he wants to have a presence the moment his car pulls up to his office. As stated, Im one of the younger boys here and one of my friends of euqal age, ( late twenties, ) has been looking at this Ford GT car. His reason why, " Cause it will dust anyone who challenges him." A manytimes over Lambo owner on Fchat said he wanted to get one because he loves street racing. A man who is able to afford 250K plus cars racing teens on the street, public streets? Is that much logic? I honestly think you will see the GT tearing down suburb streets more so than a nice touring cruise out in the country side.

RocketBoy

17. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I should write comparison specs, not over all. As you will see many people do way too many 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed stats in comparing cars. Like 575Mike both of us seem to think that cars fit the driver's profile and dreams. I think the best GT owner would be someone who actually knows what miracle Ford did with the original GT40: not because it will beat that Viper that is parked down the street. I hope Ferrari owners look at their car and think of Enzo, Schumacher, Gilles, some countryside mountain road in Europe. We are all perfectly aware of what the cars talked about here are going to do on the road. I just do not like the people writing posts that say something like,' well the Hennesey Viper goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds therefore is better than the Enzo and even Schuey's F2002.'

RocketBoy

18. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Let me just say, 'Welcome, Paul'!

Paul, if you're in the Chicago area, we'd love to have you join us during one of our get togethers.

I think I speak for everyone??

Skip

P.S. You don't need no stinkin' Ferrari to hang with us; ya just need to love em! :)

19. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    I personally like the GT for what it is on its own, not compared to Ferraris or any other car. I wasn't around when the GT40 was around, but it was an impressive car then, and is now. For me me, the looks of the car is the most important, moreso than the performance, for example the Euro 308 I have could be beat by any modern everyday car, but it sure is pleasing to the eyes. If you're into street racing, then the specs are important, for me, speed is good, but I prefer it by myself or with a friend, but I don't want to worry or deal with other drivers, especially on public streets. The only time I'll drive high speeds is in the middle of the night with no traffic on some highway, although 90-100mph is not unheard of in the daytime.

20. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I LOVE the New Ford GT. I'd certainly get one if I could. But,right now,the Dealers will more than likely be "Scamming" on the price of them,like they did with the T-Birds,and every other New Model that comes out. (And,like I'm sure they'll pull when the New Model '05 Mustangs come out.)

Same old BullSh*t story....(Yawn). They say..."Yeah, IF, "IF" you can get one! They only made a few. But,I can get YOU one,but...it's gonna cost you...Blah. BLAH. BLAH........" :(

No,I'm looking to add another Prancing Horse to my Stable instead...:)