Ford GT really underrated | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ford GT really underrated

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 69stanger, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    :)

I would guess that's about it. The car has a lysholm 2300AX compresor on it, which is the same one I fitted to my car. It redlines at 13000 rpm and pumps about 950 scfm. If external oil lines are added, it can spin to 15000, and pumps 1100 scfm. On a 308 with OEM cams, I'm spinning it to 15200 to get me in the 20-22 psi range, which should be about 610 chp or 525 rwhp, and am using 1.53 scfm/hp. I was told the a big block boat engine will make about 750-800 hp on 950 scmf, so about 1.23 scfm/hp. The ford engine should be somewhere in the middle, so 1.38 ish...that gives them 688 chp, or 550 rwhp....right where they are. If external oil lines are added, 800 chp, 670 rwhp. I was a little confused when I saw the 500 rating that would make 2300 compressor almost too big really. Of course if there's room under the hood, they do make a 3300AX....40% more air...a guy already asked me what it would take to fit one to his 308 and wrote the check....

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There's a clue in the HP rating of the transaxle.
    Mark how is your car running?

3. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    The GT is a great car, and although I am not a big fan of the retro look, this car is worth the exception. The original GT40 was a bad ass car!

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Well, it makes lots of power, rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear spins the tires, but I've been struggling with an erratic mixture at low power and idle. I think I've finally got it tracked down to the ECU manual saying the injectors should be >12 ohm, and my injectors being =12ohm, which draws just a touch more power and appears to cause the ECU to react wrong and cylce the power down. I think this is the last of the bugs and it should be 100% in a week or 2...then I can finally get it on the dyno, I'm dying to see what if it actually does what I think it's doing.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Please keep us up!

6. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    LOL, man it's getting thick in here.

Can't wait for the first actual production Ford GTs to be timed and the results posted to stop all the nonsense. Then James can go back to talking about how "the next one" is going to have warp drive.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ford did go that route. They own Aston Martin and Jaguar. The GT is a marketing excercise (and a damn good one) to highlight the Ford brand.

8. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

What judge said, and also in Japan there is no Infiniti or Lexus or Acura brand, they're all sold as Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans I believe.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mark
    How much would it cost to do the mods you described on the Ford GT? I have several that that want to go that route up to the Ricardo's limit. At least 2 cars maybe more. Do you think it would still cool? On my Lola we used an additional water rad in the rear which works great. Do you think you'd need one if you bumped the HP up to 750? Would you need larger oil coolers?

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mark
    Aux cooling water/trans.

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Jim
    I looked at the video, but it is really hard to see the bottom pulley and how much room there is around it to go bigger. The best thing would be to make the bottom pulley bigger because the top one is about as small as I would want to go, maybe 1/2" but no more or there will probably be slipping problems. If the pulleys can be made to work, a custom set should be about $500. If you go over 13000 rpm at the blower, then oil lines are needed, I'd plan another $500 for that. If you want to go to the larger blower to avoid needing to tap the engine oil system (a little safer), plan about $3500 (blower, drive pulleys machining).

Now the hard map. The fuel. You could probably add 10-15% more power without messing with it, but I just can't imagine ford put in big enough injectors to let you add 250 hp, they will need to be replaced. That means the ECU needs to be reprogrammed or replaced. I'd plan on $4000 to replace the fuel system.

I would guess the radiator will still cool it, sitting in traffic with the A/C on is usually the worst and there is plenty of extra when the car in moving. The oil is another matter. If the car is not fitted with an oil cooler, I'd add one. If it has one, I'd add a bigger one. I went to an oil/water unit on mine and just send the heat up to the radiator. Plan $500-$1000 depening how fancy you want to get.

So, I think $6k-$9k should do it. If they aren't going to spent time on the track, the oil cooler can be deleted and depending how much of the stock fuel system can be re-used, maybe there is another $1000 to be saved, so maybe as low as $4k, but I doubt it.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks! One spring day lets get together. I'd love to see your car and show you mine.
    Best