Ford GT Roadster at SEMA | FerrariChat

Ford GT Roadster at SEMA

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Viper 10, Oct 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    http://www.autoweek.com/printwindow.cms?newsId=103476&pageType=news

Autoweek News

GT goes Topless: Ford to show GTX1 roadster at SEMA show
    Posted Date: 10/27/05
    Ford has chopped the top off of its Ford GT and cut it into four pieces for the SEMA show, thanks in large part to Ford SVT engineering supervisor Kip Ewing and some SEMA aftermarket friends.

Insipired by the 1966 Sebring-winning Ford GTX1 roadster, Ewing, who worked on the Ford GT project, completed the initial design sketches and engineering studies on his own. With the backing of Hau Thai-Tang, Ford's SVT and Advanced Product Creation director, Ewing was able to get the support from Ford to build a SEMA project vehicle based on the original car.

Mark Gerisch of Genaddi Design Group (www.vgdauto.com), an experienced designer and metal shaper with a history of cutting the roofs off of exotic cars, was chosen to help make a roadster out of the GT. Gerisch and his team developed a roof system consisting of four individual hard panels for the GTX1, allowing it to be configured as a coupe, t-top or full convertible. With all the panels installed, the outer panels can be locked into a vent position and all four panels can be stored inside the vehicle when removed.

The GT's rear clamshell covering the engine has been redesigned for the GTX1 to feature two buttresses that flow rearward from the seatback, but the view into the engine bay, showcasing the imposing 550-horsepower 5.4-liter supercharged V8, remains.

"The Ford GTX1 project is a great example of manufacturers working together with the aftermarket to stretch the boundaries and investigate potential design and product innovation," said Thai-Tang.

The GTX1 conversion, which will be on display at the SEMA show starting Nov. 1, is available for any owner of a Ford GT. For more information, check out www.gtx1.com.

Besides Genaddi, the GTX1 features several SEMA-member company products, including:

Wheels: 6061 Alloy Corporation 19-inch front/20-inch rear
    Seats: Sparco Carbon fiber Ford GT custom
    Brakes: Brembo Alum. mono-block/two-piece rotors
    Tires: Pirelli P-Zero Rosso
    Dampers: Dynamic Dampers, Adjustable coil-overs
    Trunk: Multimatic Carbon Fiber
    Exhaust: Ford Racing - Borla
    Interior trim: WK Industries
    Paint: Debeers
    Roof latching: RMD
    Clam shell cassette: Manitowoc Composites
    Engineering: Quality Metal Craft

2. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Maybe it's just a bad pic but that looks horrible to me.

3. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Pfft, that looks great! I would buy one. Shiny

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    i think its sexy as hell.

5. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I wouldn't say horrible (well, the color, yes), BUT I too would like to see more pics, especially outside, tracking, etc

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Schwing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

7. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    I only wish that Ford would get serious with the GT's and put either a big block 427 or the Shelby V-10... so that they could make a serious effort to campaign the car at Le Mans, Daytona and Sebring (like they should have done from the begining... Clay Ford is clueless). The blown Cobra motor is a glorified Mustang motor...

Brad

8. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Actually it is a blown truck motor.

HP is HP it don't matter how you make it.

9. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Yea the color looks terrible but the car itself is great.
    Those Genaddi design people are crazy (in a good way)

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    OH MY! I like the color, rustic, not too bold, trying to be lamboesque. Dead Sexy!

11. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    YUMMY! I want to see more pics.

12. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Not bad from just one picture. That'll make it easier to get into the car when someone park next to you. :)

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    me "like" alot....

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    looks like a mutant 360 spider!!!!!!!not a bad idea to do a spider though

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Sure it does. Engines with forced induction typically have non-linear performance characteristics (especially true with turbochargers) that can make driving the car at the limit very tricky. Also, superchargers have quite a bit of parasitic drag that actually robs you of some of the horsepower you are making. This is why most real exotics and supercars make do with high-output, normally aspirated engines.

My .02¢

>8^)
    ER

16. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    oooooo la la!!! Me like a lot!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....I love it!

17. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I agree, what matters is the power and torque curve, not the origins or layout or design. Honorable mention to exhaust note, but personally I love the rumble of an American V8.

Just a note about the GT's engine, it is actually just the block that is shared with a truck, and Jack Rouch is building up the motor. The GT500 Mustang shares the same motor and even that high performance car gets a different supercharger. Humble beginings perhaps, but more than just a "truck motor."

18. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    The Ford GT does not share a block with any other car or truck. (Unless you know of an aluminum block, dry-sump truck motor.)

Detailed info on the drivetrain development is in an SAE technical paper available at the Roush site:
    http://www.roushind.com/news_downloads/tech_papers/2004-01-1252.pdf

19. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    yeah...and Lamborghini is nothing more than a tractor...

20. WarrenF355

WarrenF355 Formula 3

Dec 29, 2004
    Newburgh, IN
    Full Name:
    Warren M. Rogers
    that is god awfully ugly, in my opinion. regardless of how it looks from different angles, from that angle, it makes me want to vomit.

21. kito

kito Karting

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It looks like a bastardized Murcielago Roadster to me

22. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Ok then, block architcture? I know it is a close relative of the truck motor. Either way that underscores the point, thanks for the claification.

23. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    I can't wait to see it in person. :D

24. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I think this is an iron block, didnt they try aluminum with the last cobra (mustang) and it had bad results with the blower?

25. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    All of my favorite exotics (and cars in general) are forced induction. Namely the Porsche 959 and Köenigsegg CCR. You're right though, that the characteristics of driving a forced-induction vehicle vary quite a bit from naturally aspirated vehicles. It just takes some seat time to learn how to best use the benefits that a supercharger or turbocharger can provide. Personally, I find it hard to imagine owning another naturally aspirated car after my last few turbos.