Ford GT v. F355 | FerrariChat

Ford GT v. F355

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mseals, Jan 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I love my 355.

BUT! I love the pure looks of the Ford GT... seriously.

I know some don't like them... and, that's ok.

But I'm really thinking about making my next purchase a GT. They are in the $150K to $175K range, and although they may still be taking somewhat of a hit with depreciation, I don't see them going that much lower in price (someone please chime in if I'm way off base here).

SO, just curious...I've only seen one GT, and it was behind the ropes. Who here has driven one (besides WilliamH - Great Car, William!) and can tell me about the driving experience?

I know it's 'just' a Ford. But, I also know that it's has a body that thrills and excites me...

Any thoughts?

Mike

2. shado

shado Guest

May 5, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Shado Ra
    I have driven a fair few miles in my mates Ford GT, there fantastic bit of kit.
    Awsome, i would have one over my 355 anyday. And here in Britain they hold values well.
    Go for it i say.

3. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #3 Red Head Seeker, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    I also have driven the GT40 on the track. You have to remember you are talking about the "Ferrari Killer"....winner of LeMans 4 years IN A ROW!!!! 1966-69...An ageless classic....Your Ferrari ownership will be a distant memory when you feel that supercharged V-8...few realize the "40" in GT40...designates the height of the vehicle (40 inch height)(43 inches in new car)....The balance is almost 50/50....GREAT motor, brakes, handeling, transmission....& PLENTY of Aftermarket Upgrades....If I was you....the GT40...would ALREADY be in my garage....I also believe the car has an extended warranty that can be passed to the next owner...check into that....I see them ALL the time on Ebay motors....I don't think you can lose...Top Gear's Test of the GT40....Enjoy....Mark

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UAnlMNvK8Y[/ame]

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You are getting the real thing confused with the pastiche - which do you mean ? OP ask about the GT not the GT40

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have had the red mist clouding my thinking for 35 years. But when my good friend allowed me to drive his FGT my eyes opened wide. Very tractable around town.....almost docile. When you push the go pedal......hold on.......it becomes a bear! Fantastic sounds, incredible torque and so much fun.

It will become my first non Fcar in my modest collection. I say go for it 10 times over! You will not be disappointed.

6. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    You're right... I asked about the GT... I don't NEARLY have enough zeros for the real thing...

Like William H said, the difference is an extra zero at the end of the price...

I'm talking about the Ford GT.

Mike

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think there's quite a few threads about the Ford down in the 'American Muscle' section

8. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    There are a couple... one rather long one on pricing.

Thanks for all the input so far...

Mike

9. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    #9 silver1331, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The GT is an awesome car, its truly a street legal race car. maybe its not as refined as a modern ferrari but from a driving experience its incredible. You're right on holding value, the true cost of a car is depreciation (and carry cost). Ive owned my GT for over 4 years and its worth the same maybe a bit more than i paid...i considered a 430 at the same time and today that 430 would be worth almost 70k less so there is alot to be said for having a modern exotic that holds value.

Here are some pics of mine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks for the post... what a beautiful car!

If you're willing to offer some one-to-one advice, please PM me your email address.

Mike

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I have logged some time in a Ford GT. Its dynamics and general feel are very good. However, it is prone to major oversteer, without much if any warning. It is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced.

Just something to keep in mind.

12. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    My friend and neighbor has one and we have gone on a few drives together although I've not driven his car. However, there really isn't any comparison. I love the 355 and enjoy the sound and style. My G is much more aggressive and has so much more raw power. The 355 is fun and "relatively" fast. But the performance compared to the bigger more powerful engine in the Ford GT is just unreal. I say, if you can afford it, GET BOTH!

13. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
  14. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  15. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ford GTs are beautiful, in my book. When I was a kid, the GT40s were very successful race cars, so they are also a bit nostalgic.

16. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Mike-

It's one of the best cars I've driven, and I've driven a LOT of cars on the street and racetrack. Gobs of power, GREAT american V8 sound, very smooth, very easy to handle, very stable at speed, and absolutely gorgeous. Plus, you can bump them up to 700hp very easily (exhaust, different supercharger pulley, and ECU tune).

There are multiple people with cars over 50k miles, with zero problems. True Ford reliability. I actually drove one with 80k+ miles, that had been wrecked a couple times, and the car still felt like a new car. Unbelievable.

As far as depreciation....that doesn't exist. :) In 2005 the MSRP for a fully loaded car was $156,945. In late '05 the MSRP went up by $10k. About a year ago you could buy a moderate mile 2005 for $135-140k. You can't touch a good one now for under $150k, and I don't think they'll go down in value any time soon. It's like a Stradale - everyone that has had one buys another one eventually, and many people I know own multiples.

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I once followed 2 Ford GT's around Central London.

Great looking cars.

18. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Valuable input... thanks for the post...!

I really appreciate it.

Mike

19. concours

concours Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Palos Verdes, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I would like to add a few comments: I currently drive a 360 spider and am very familiar with the 355 and the 430 and recently drove the Ford GT. This had been modified with different electronics and a higher output supercharger producing just under 800 horse power. The GT has manual shift and is amazingly docile around town, no difference in feel to the standard GT. But when you get on it, the acceleration and cornering are phenomenal and apparently the car has proven very reliable so far and, as noted above, depreciation is quite llow. In fact the car has only two drawbacks, There is absolutely no place anywhere in the car that I could find, to store even a toothbrush. No trunk front or back. no glove box and no door pockets. The other drawback is social. These cars are so rare that it is difficult to find other GT owners nearby to meet with and socialize. This is something of a contrast to Ferrari ownership where there is an abundance of opportunities for meeting and greeting. In my area Ferrari guys meet weekly and monthly which greatly adds to the delight of ownership. So I believe that the author of this thread has the answer---Own both.

20. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    #20 lencap, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    I've driven my friend's Ford GT at Willow Springs in a Ford GT school. Best school I ever attended. The school's co-owners are very good friends. One of them is Neil Hannemann - the chief engineer of the Ford GT project and a four time World Challenge Driver's Champion. The other owner is my life long friend - Richard Hille who has competed in and won the Silver State Classic in his Camaro - reaching an EXACT average speed of 200.00 MPH for the entire 90 mile route. It was his car that I got to drive throughout the entire school event. (Yeah, I agree, quite a good friend). He's also been a top rated SCCA driver for the last 4 decades.

Taking hot laps at Willow Springs with him and Neil driving with me was a revelation. The Ford GT is truly amazing, well worth the investment. I also agree with other posters - there is very little depreciation potential in the car.

There is a seller of 15 (not a mistype) Ford GTs on eBay. Here is the "cherry" of the collection: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-GT-Heritage-blue-new-/160718574655?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item256b92d43f#ht_500wt_1182

Scroll through the pictures and you'll see the cars stacked up side by side. There is another more detailed post about the auction and this owner on the forum.

I own a 360 Spider, a very fine car, but it is very different from the Ford GT. Hard to compare, but on a track there is no comparison - the Ford will eat my lunch any day. But in the end it's the driver that matters. Either Neil or Richard driving the 360 will beat me even if I'm driving the Ford GT.

21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    A bit less expensive but worthy, IMO is the Superformance GT. It is more closely like the original GT but modern. Very cool alternative to either a GT or GT40 and more affordable. One day...

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I know Neil from the viper days. Great guy!

23. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Vince beat me to it. I just looked at one of these a few days ago this would be the way to go IMHO. The GT looses something from the original, the SPF is built from the original blue prints with modern touches.

24. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

SPF builds a fantastic car. A real race car!
    Makes the ford gt seem cushy by comparison.

25. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The Ford GT is a car we Americans can truly be proud of.

I wouldn't expect much depreciation until Ford does a new supercar.