FORD GT. YOUR THOUGHTS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FORD GT. YOUR THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by $$$=SPEED, Feb 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    on the FORD GT....

If I have the wherewithall and it comes in RHD...I don't mind having one in my garage...You Americans/ Europeans are a lucky bunch..nice cars to choose from at ' reasonable ' prices..

2. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    I can't believe people are holding F Dealers (and other exotic dealers by association) up as an example of transparent sales practice.

When a car is in demand there is only one way to prevent dealers exacting premiums from customers. "Enforce" a no selling over MSRP rule on dealers.

The alternative is to have:

1) A transparent premium policy as the Ford dealers are currently doing.

2) Have a hidden premium policy as F and other exotic dealers do. (Where do you think the 100-200 mile cars with premiums are coming from?).

Personally if I was to pay X amount over list I would prefer the car not to have 200 un-verifiable miles (quite possibly put on by the dealers buddy, who has little care for a car he knows is being shifted imminently).

Others prefer to remain oblivious and pretend the 200 mile car was really a valued customer who got bored.

Yes people have got on the list with F dealers and got cars at MSRP. And once the fuss dies down exactly the same will happened with the GT40.

For those that need their memory refreshed, read some of the threads about people whining about 430 lists and premiums. (Or how about the people who have been on the list for a spider for years and now find they're at the bottom of the list for the F430?)

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    repost from rennlist:

One of my neighbors took me for an extended drive in his Ford GT this afternoon. I will say that the fit and finish and handling was very impressive. However the power was pretty disappointing. And before you all start with my Porsche bias let me preface my comments with the fact that I am a HUGE Ford guy I have an 03 SVT cobra and a dozen old Shelby's and mustangs. And I would love to own a Ford Gt and will someday.

But if this car is generating 550 HP I would be very surprised. Feels more like 475 to 500. My 04 GT2 will easily stay with this 550 HP car if not pull away from it. Ford GT engine sound is very tame sounds a lot like my 03 SVT cobra Just not very impressive. Overall Ford deserves credit for building a beautiful car with great fit and finish but I believe in real world use on the street and track that our GT2s will easily be a match for these cars with a lot better build quality and reliablity. IMHO

I have heard the stories about 02 and 03 GT2s having rear wheel HP at around 500 and I figure that's where the Ford GT would be if tested. All in all I thought the Ford GT would feel noticeably faster than our GT2s but it doesn't. I am betting on my 04 GT 2 pulling him by a couple car lengths when we line them up pretty soon. Stay tuned.

4. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    ^Me thinks he'll be seriously dissapointed if he thinks his GT2 could pull on a GT by a couple of car lengths at any speed, hehe. Just because something "feels" quicker doesn't mean that it "is" quicker.

5. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tried finding dyno figures, but didn't find much at all. Would be nice if someone would just dyno one and put all speculations to rest.

But i did find something interesting about the GT's while looking for dyno figures online. I didn't know that Mr. Hennessey offers a 650hp upgrade for the Ford GT.

GT650 - 650 HP Engine Upgrade
    Includes:

High Flow Air Induction System
    Stainless Steel Headers
    Stainless Steel Exhaust Upgrade
    Throttle Body Upgrade
    Supercharger Pulley & Belt Upgrade
    Fuel/Spark Recalibration
    Road & Dyno Testing
    Professional Installation
    2 Year / 24,000 Mile Warranty
    Allow 4 Weeks for Installation

Price: $24,500.00

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'm waiting eagerly for the actual run-off results.

Gary

7. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Saw the Ford GT at the Calgary Auto Show. Started the car and sounded amazing, though I wouldnt buy the car. I would go to Barrett Jackson and buy a real Ford GT-40. It looks nice, if you like the modern-ness then go and get it.

8. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Dino Martini,
    E-Bay Motors (as of a week ago) had Safir 1139, a replica of the 1969 LeMans winner. It has a Gurney-Westlake 460 hp 302 with all the goodies. So, they are available.

9. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    $24,500 for an exhaust system, throttle body, intake, and ecu remap?????

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    From the GT 40's site.

"Check out May issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.
    They drag tested a GT...went 11.02 @ 130 mph with a pulley
    swap. Got into the tens with sticky tires...before they
    smoked the clutch !"

11. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    Actually, you guys owe it to yourself to get the issue, it is a good read. :)

First they ran the car on a very tight road course. The car ran over 5 seconds faster than the '03 Cobra on this course, and this course was not a horsepower course (in other words, not much in the way of straights).

Then they played with it at the drag strip. Their final conclusion is that they could have gotten it into the 10's on the stock tires just as easily as on the stickies. The drag radials were shorter than the factory tires, which effectively lowered the gear ratio, and made it much harder to launch.

When the clutch gave up, they already had 44 passes on the car.

There are alot of great slide, and smokey burnout pictures.

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The exact title of this mag pls.

13. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Napolis,
    I believe they are citing Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine.

14. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    Yes, its Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords.

Sorry, I "assumed" everyone knew. LOL I have every issue since the magazine began in 1989.