Ford GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ford GT

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Napolis, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I just hope FordGT does good in the market, so more auto makers will follow the step to bring back more sports car (not sporty cars!).

FordGT should do as well as Dodge Viper & Honda NSX, or that's at least what I am hoping for.

Like ecadwell said, good competition won't hurt!

Yoshi

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'll wait until the next version then ;)

Pete

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Pete,Pete,Pete...
    and forget about your first Love a 250Lm? I think not.

4. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Get the GT

Unfortunately we have RHD, so LHD cars are practically not in my list of wants. You're just lucky. But hurry because I think it will be sold out very quickly. Isn't this a limited production model?

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, one would hope that the next version of the Ford GT would be cheaper than a 250Lm (or a P4)?

But you are right to some degree, as there are some cars that have caused some sort of brain imbalance when we were at that impressionable age and you just can never let them go ... sigh ;)

Have we put the soul into the P4 chassis yet?

Pete

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Neurons first. Brake lines, clutch lines, dash and electrics. Fuel lines as well.
    Best
    (The elagance of being able to remove the windscreen to do all of this is wild. It's mounted in it's own frame which unscrews. Leaving the floor pan off also helps.)

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Okay, since it a done deal that we are going to buy a Ferrari Chat Ford GT (I'll be sending wiring instructions to all interested parties...)

Now, comes the tough part, picking a color.

Yellow/Black stripes
    Red/White stripes
    Blue/White stripes
    Silver/Black stripes
    Black/Silver stripes
    White/Blue stripes

Personally, I wish that we could get this car in the Blue/Orange Gulf colors. But, as a second choice, I say that we go with White/Blue stripes. Why? Well, this is my post, and I'll pick the colors if I want to....

Dr Lemans Here I Come

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The Ford GT will drop like a rock. Expect to pick up a lightly used example for 10K+ under MSRP. I am not going to get caught up in the bullsh!t. For the people who "must-have," enjoy. For the pragmatic, just wait. Ford hasn't a clue here.

BTW, Dale, loose lips...ahem. :D

--Dan

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, I do perceive that Ford will have a problem with the cars image, like they did with the excellent English Ford Sierra Cosworth. Many people simply do not want to own a Ford.

BUT how is Ford supposed to turn that around ... er, quite simply by building cars like the Ford GT, cars that people want to own, and eventually the Ford brand will be seen differently. I believe that is what the Ford GT is all about.

Pete

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Does anyone remember the 1990 ZR-1 ?

MSRP 60K

Advertisements in the NY Times for 144K.

The same scenario will occur when you pile
    thousands and thousands of cars on top of
    another in a multi-year run. What will happen
    two-three years after introduction when you
    have 150/200 cars on the used market at the
    same time ? Is it going to be difficult to find
    a one-owner car two-three years from now with
    2-3 K miles ? Not when there is going to be
    in the neighborhood of 4,000 cars around the country

The person that pays over MSRP is going to be
    in for a shock. The person that pays (way) over
    MSRP is just emotional, and can only visualize the
    car in his/her garage while they wait. They will
    see nothing more.

Like another poster mentioned. Let all the people
    who have to have the "in" car force their way to
    the front of the line. The people in the back of
    the line will obtain the car for a deep discount and
    all the refinements. It is good to wait. I like this
    car.

11. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    I think ford will build as much or more than they can sell. Think Viper.

12. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

If you think 75kUS over MSRP is outrageous, how about this? It did go for a good cause, though.

Dealer pays $2.1 million for first Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

One needed to be both rich and quick on the bidding to become the owner of the world’s first production Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. Long Island car dealer Juliana Terian’s winning bid of $2.1 million came just two minutes into the auction at Christie’s in New York on Dec. 18. Bidding started at $500,000 and shot past $1 million in 65 seconds.

Proceeds from the auction of the silver, 617-hp supercar go to the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation that promotes youth sports programs as a way to solve world problems.

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

It will be years before the demand slows for this car, you really can't compare it to a Viper the Ford GT is a true exotic in a different league.

Their also is a renewed interest in Patriotism today, buy American- this car offers alot and gives up nothing to todays competitors another reason demand will last for quite awhile unless something negative turns out about this car or its not the same as the prototypes,at car shows I have seen
    the good ERA GT40 replicas and their always is the largest crowd around them so the GT40 has a great following being a Ford brand won't
    take away from its exoticness.
    Ford does have a long history of racing involvement for the original 999 Henry drove but when you think Ford today you vision Taurus or 150 pick-up or Tide stock car, good for Ford taking a chance on a Euro type sports car.

14. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I agree, this car will stand on its own, it is not trying to rely on its cousin (GT40) for its credentials.

This car is faster than any 360 Ferrari for less money. I would not pay over sticker, but I would pay sticker and feel very good about it....

15. trasus

trasus Rookie

Feb 9, 2004
    Phoenix, Az.
    I have to say that DOHC engines made by Ford for their Mustangs are rock solid. I have a Mustang GT that I did some weekend drag racing with. I switched the engine from the stock motor 2V motor to the 4V DOHC motor and it is an AWESOME engine. Fitted with twin T-4 turbos running 11lbs of boost it has been dyno'd at well over 820 bhp at the wheels. I'm sure that a factory set-up supercharger done by the guys at Ford racing will be rock solid and probably tunable to north of 700bhp. Everything in their DOHC motors is over-engineered. (For the record, the 4V engine I run has been tuned to almost 940 bhp, but it's too much for the clutch and rear-end. Apparently the internals on the motor handled it fine though).

16. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Why do you say that? What makes it a "true exotic"? The Viper is older, the GT is newer. Other than that, they are essentially the same.

In 2002, before the Gallardo and the current crop of "360 beaters"...

The Viper GTS-R was a $90K V-10 torque monster with 460HP, 4.2s 0-60, 9.6 0-100, and 12.5 1/4mi (all better than the 360). Its top speed of 185 is plenty close to the Modena. And its 0.98g skidpad numbers also beat the 360. It also posted better times at the track. Finally, it certainly has exotic looks... pretty extreme, in fact.

Sooo, tell me what makes the Ford GT soooo much more of a "true exotic" than the Viper?? That its price is six figures instead of just 5?

(Note: I'm not saying the GT is no better than a Viper; I'm just saying that I don't see them in "a different league". Now when I drive one, I might change my mind...)

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Chris et alia,

While there may be a certain niche "America-pride" market that will keep some demand for this car, the rest of the facts speak against any consistent demand or raised prices. Most importantly:

1) The target market. How many "muscle car enthusiasts" are there with 150+K to drop on this? Err...uh...not *nearly* enough to support the 200+ they plan on building monthly. This car is going STRAIGHT into the murky, polluted, small little pond of exotics shared with the 360, 550, Gallardo, Aston, 996TT, blah blah blah. For all of the home-pride and american muscle nonsense, my prediction is that the hype will subside, especially in dollar terms.

2) Ford production. Ford has to be making a healthy margin on these. There is no way they're going to quit making them until they can sell no more. I've heard production numbers from 1000 to 3500, and I'll believe 10000 because if Ford thinks they can sell them, they'll make them, whether or not the market can bear them (a little-considered item, it seems). As Doody likes to say, think Porsche 996TT.

There are myriad other reasons the car will stand to lose hype (in dollar support) in relatively short order, but I think those two are dominant.

--Dan

18. atheyg

atheyg Guest

[
    Sooo, tell me what makes the Ford GT soooo much more of a "true exotic" than the Viper?? That its price is six figures instead of just 5?

The Viper is a small step up from a Vette, the Ford Gt has an exotic look not only in its appearance but its design, from a composite body to an aluminum spaceframe,4v heads in an aluminum block,6 piston brakes etc, the whole car has the best available for parts and design not so for the Viper