Ford trolling Tesla? Is their bragging legitimate? | FerrariChat

Ford trolling Tesla? Is their bragging legitimate?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, Jun 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Ford Trolling Tesla: Capitalism at it Best

It is to laugh. Here's Ford, desperate to catch up to Tesla in producing electrics, trolling Tesla saying something to the effect of "Oh, and if your Tesla stops because it's out of juice, don't worry-- our Ford F-150 Lightning can stop and recharge it."
    While Ford has only sold only a fraction of all electrics compared to Tesla, who sell 100% electrics, it's a double dig, saying "Not only did we beat you to market with an electric pickup truck" but "our pickup produces so much electricity you can use it to charge a dead Tesla."
    And also implying Teslas die on the road.
    I don't know if Jim Farley , the CEO of Ford, has actually said this in a commercial but Ford is touting the ability of the F-150 Lighting to re-charge a Tesla (given the right connector is available) and I think it would be good PR if Lightning owners to do this on occasion and post pictures of their "save" on the net.
    To do this the Lightning owner had to have ordered this extra cost option for charging . Some owners who have done so are posting photos of adapters they've been getting, including one that lets Tesla's unique charging cable plug into the common SAE J1772 connector used by most other electric vehicles.
    The F-150 Lightning has shown its value as a home backup power system when paired with a $3,895 integration system, where a full battery is able to power a typical home for three days or more.
    It could be the vaunted never-to-appear Tesla Cybertruck has this feature too but we won't know it until it's on the market.
    I think this Ford jibe is practicing entrepreneurship in it's highest form--to attack a rival in the one soft spot they have and rub it in. OK Tesla--the ball's in your court. Bring out the Cybertrick and show what it can do that the F150 Lightning can't.
    Or shut up. It' going on four years that Tesla had been promising this miracle truck.
    I am even thinking, if the Cybertruck is so challenging to build in its present form, Tesla should drop back ten and punt (not sure what it means but it sounds so positive). In other words retrench a little --make it easier to build as long as they can schedule it soon,as a 2023 offering.
    I don't think Ford can make 500,000 F150 Lightnings in a year but the fact they have beat Tesla to market with a product that Tesla was promoting first and can now mock Tesla ought to bring more stockholders to Ford. Common sense folks that want to back a company when they see a guy like Jim Farley, acting like a head coach whose team is down in points come in after half time with a plan B, a change in plans..
    I even want to see GM come out with a pickup truck in this price range (F150 Lightning) that also has this feature.-- the more the merrier. In case you forgot, this is what capitalism is all about. It all benefits the consumer to have a choice.
    Let's see how Tesla responds....

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ford certainly got my attention. The whole MMGW thing is hokum but we're being pushed to renewables and being paid to do it, so F it. I'm installing 35kw solar on my roof in a couple weeks, have another 6kw planned if the HOA approves and investing in intelligent power management while there's still a 26% federal tax incentive. A high capacity EV like the lightning with bidirectional charging is very attractive as a dual purpose vehicle/power wall. The lightning is part and parcel to why I'm not looking at Telsa at all, not for the home power storage, not for a vehicle, nothing. In a few years, I fully intend to pick up something out of the Ford/Lincoln lineup and will use the vehicle as part of a comprehensive power management plan. I do expect to be fully off grid by then, probably be entirely power self reliant by July but our future stable is going to include at least a couple EVs, leased. Never thought I'd go leased over owned, but with EVs, makes sense.