Former MLB pitcher dies in plane crash | FerrariChat

Former MLB pitcher dies in plane crash

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by bbs911, Nov 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Shocked by this - I might be mistaken, but I think you are right about another plane going down recently. RIP!

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sad news :(

great pitcher. sounds like he was making the most of retirement, RIP.

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    rest in peace.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Roy Halladay appeared to be hot doggin' it in his plane in the moments before his crash -- making extreme and unusual changes in altitude ... this according to multiple witnesses...
    We spoke with other boaters in the area who told a similar story -- "dramatically increasing and decreasing in elevation."

Another witness says, "He was flying like that all week. Aggressively."

http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/08/roy-halladay-plane-crash-video-witnesses-showboating/

Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Are those posts anchored in the water nearby in that video? Was he low enough to clip one of those??

SV

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Accelerated stall perhaps?

Would be a real problem if the plane's altitude was close to the surface of the water.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    What's happened to people?

It seems like a good bet that Boston sports talk radio host Michael Felger isn’t a big believer in the notion of respecting the dead. Felger and co-host Tony Massarotti do afternoons on Boston’s 98.5 The Sports Hub. Felger spent part of Wednesday’s show mocking Roy Halladay, blaming him for his death and calling him names.
    Halladay, the ex-MLB star and two-time Cy Young winner, died in a plane crash Tuesday in the Gulf of Mexico, near his home in Florida. He was 40. He’s survived by his wife and two teenage sons. Halladay was flying a sporty plane he got last month, it’s a two-seater that’s been described as a “Jet Ski with wings.”
    Felger decided it was important to blame someone for Halladay’s death, so he blamed Halladay, over and over again, in fact — calling him a “moron” and saying Halladay “got what he deserved.”

Deadspin and Awful Announcing each collected some of Felger’s worst moments, and here they are:
    “He’s not a militarily-trained pilot, he’s not a professionally-trained pilot, he’s a Joe Q. Citizen who buys a plane that folds up and you can put in your garage and that’s amphibious, ‘Wheee! Oh look, I just landed on the water, everybody! I’m going to tweet it!’ Splat. You’re dead. With two kids. Moron.”
    “As a 40-year-old grown-ass man, you’re still doing that, to the point where you’ve got to get in planes and race cars and all that crap? I’m sorry, dude, you’re on your own. I’ve got no sympathy for you.”
    “That guy’s like the bad guy to me. You’ve got a family! And you’re going to screw around in a little toy plane?”
    “If that’s how you’re wired, and that’s how you die? Bon voyage.”
    “I don’t blame the plane for the fact that the guy wanted to dive-bomb through mountains. Idiot!”
    In case you’re wondering if Felger holds other athletes to the same standard, the answer is yes:
    “Was it Dale Earnhardt who died? The race car driver who died? I root for the wall. I really do. That ain’t no tragedy … I’m supposed to feel bad for you? Give me a break.

And Felger also gave permission for anyone to mock him should he die tragically:

“If I die helicopter skiing, you have the right to do the exact same thing I’m doing to Roy Halladay. He got what he deserved.”

A full NTSB investigation into Halladay’s fatal accident has begun and a preliminary report is expected in 7-10 days, an investigator said Wednesday.

and then this comment from a poster on KR

Anonymous said...

Just watched a video online posted by people who video recorded the crash, proceeded to race their boat at full throttle to the accident site, arriving in less than a minute, and then sat there recording video of the wreckage floating in very shallow water. There were about eight people present on three boats, and while it appeared that most of them were avidly taking videos, none of them thought of, had the courage or heart to go into the water to see if they could help anyone who might be inside. Heavyset male standing in a boat very close to the accident site kept his hands tightly in his pockets. Hands in pockets. The male at the upper bridge of a boat at the crashed site sat casually with his feet propped up on boat railing. A millennial taking cellular telephone video with an awful potty mouth, lacking the ability to string together a complete sentence, taking the name of the Lord our God in vain, misused His name over and over, again and again in the video - so much, I turned off the volume on the video. Blaspheme - cursing, abuse, profanity, desecrate and revile.

Quite a nation we've become, when plane victims are to be videoed and immediately posted online, rather than help our brothers and sisters onboard a crashed aircraft.

Folks, we're not talking about diving into deep water here. Shallow water. The eight could have at the very least offered some help to the aircraft pilot, hold his hands, say a prayer, something - anything would have been better than take video of a loving brother as he got closer and closer to death, took his last breath of life ... the deceased's body just lay there all alone.

It's a good thing the Bible clearly teaches that if we know Christ, we are safely in God's hands forever when we die, and that nothing "in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord".

Rags747 likes this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Society has been on a downward path for a while. It's sad and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

10. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig

Disgraceful.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I am stunned by the description of the bystanders who simply stood by and made little or no effort to give some sort of aid. The sportscasters comments are unbelievable and very disturbing that there are those who not only harbor this kind of callousness but are allowed to broadcast it over the radio. I'm absolutely stunned by all this. Halliday was enjoying the freedom and fun of flying but he obviously made an error in judgement that is typical of new pilots. I have been there done that but I was lucky to get away with it. There is no profit or benefit in maligning someone who has left his family and friends as survivors when he has been taken away, no matter what or how it happened. Really disturbing.

12. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Icon is very proud of their AoA gauge, and make a big deal about how it's useful to avoid accelerated stalls:

13. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    +1

I'm a huge Phillies (and Halladay) fan and was very saddened by the news of the crash. I haven't watched any videos of the crash scene but according to the descriptions of the videos posted here they must be truly disturbing. The people taking those videos (videotaping the incident instead of trying to offer help) should be ashamed of themselves, but I'm sure they are not because that would take a level of class and morality that many people lack today.

Do they know if Roy died suddenly from the impact or did he survive the impact and perish afterwards? I sincerely hope it was the former and he didn't suffer.

14. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    He was tweeting that flying his plane was like flying a fighter jet. ...Sad.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Heart was enlarged... a lot, some of that may be from being an athlete... also atherosclerosis. Pretty young for all that.