FORMULA 1 2018 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX: FINAL RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 8 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX: FINAL RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140345/bottas-abu-dhabi-race-mirrored-2018-struggles

Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas says his Abu Dhabi Grand Prix performance mirrored his 2018 Formula 1 season as a whole, as it started off promisingly before "everything turned to ****".

The Finn shared the front row with team-mate Lewis Hamilton, and kept second place behind the world champion at the start of the race.

But while his pace in the opening stint was solid, Bottas faded after switching to the supersofts, falling behind Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and the two Red Bull cars.

"Overall the race sums up the season quite well - [it] started off quite well and then everything turns to ****," Bottas said.

"I initially had a lock-up into Turn 5, when Sebastian got close [towards the end of the race], and then he got DRS and overtook me.

"I thought it was purely my mistake, which in the end it was, but the wind suddenly turned around, so I would've had to brake a bit earlier for the wind - fair enough.

"At the same time, the team found some vibration on the rear right brake and some issue, so sometimes the front brakes had to work harder than the rear brakes to compensate and that meant there were sudden lock-ups.

"[The] same thing happened when I went straight [at Turn 8] and Verstappen got close.

So, we still need to investigate what was exactly the issue with the brakes."

When asked about the Bottas's underwhelming race, team boss Toto Wolff confirmed that "some odd braking behaviour" was observed on the right rear of Bottas' car, adding that it seemed to improve after his second stop.

"So, before actually making a comment on performance I would rather see all the data," he said.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Verstappen and Bottas had made contact when the former pulled off an aggressive move for third place a few laps after the Finn went off at Turn 8, and Bottas said this left his W09 with "some floor damage".

He pitted for the second time soon after the incident occurred, but would continue to lose time after rejoining the track on fresher tyres and ended up 48-seconds behind race-winner Hamilton.

After coming off worse in the Verstappen clash, Bottas nonetheless took no issue with the Dutchman's driving.

"It's just racing. We both wanted to gain the position," he said.

"Yeah, we did touch, I was the one who lost there as I lost the position and also I had floor damage and we had to do a pitstop also in the end.

"But for me it was racing."

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mods? 3 day ban here MINIMUM.:eek:

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Good one

4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :D:D

5. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Not so sure how well the large tattoo'd Christian cross featured prominently on Lewis's back went over with the local crowd . . .

Nortonious likes this.
  6. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    For a race that runs from day to night, I didn't hear any call to prayer being played over the PA. ;)

7. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Perhaps they're more secular than I thought . . .

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I know. I don't know how it got passed the corny joke filter.

375+ and G. Pepper like this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Maybe Nico? Makes me wonder just how good Nico was. He did beat Lewis, head to head, with the same car in 16 and had a chance in 14 and 15. Maybe Ferrari can bring him out of retirement to replace Vettle.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That was actually an entertaining race in the middle of the pack - lots of action. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

subirg, jgonzalesm6 and DF1 like this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    hamilton has said that his faith is very important to him. flashing the crucifix on his back to the crowd seemed to be a bit of evangilizing. doing that in that part of the world took guts.

12. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Afterwards, he was quoted as saying he wanted people to see the "Still I Rise" tattoo on his back.

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I like Ham, but taking off his Nomex shirt on the podium was a little strange.

14. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    great stuff. great champions.

Terra and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    aaaaaannnd the video

Lewis Hamilton & Sebastian Vettel Swap F1 Helmets!

Patrick Dixon and NeuroBeaker like this.
  16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's pretty cool. Anyone swap with Stroll? ;)

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    . . . or ignorance. It was the act of a narcissist, nothing more.

daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ocon?

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That was a nice moment. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX

22. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Narcissist?

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    ktu likes this.
  24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Pretty ignorant of the local religious beliefs showing off Christian crosses and scripts, seeing as how the Middle East is so insensitive about their beliefs and religion (not), surprised he didn’t get slung in jail, or stoned. Presumably the track is designated an international place, and therefore free of meeting local tradition and respects..