FORMULA 1 2018 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX: QUALIFYING***SPOILERS*** | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX: QUALIFYING***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by WPOZZZ, Nov 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Last time I looked, Ferrari hadn’t protested the merc wheels...

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I knew I read somewhere that F2 was having issues with the clutches.

Thanks for re-affirming that. From rolling starts to grid starts.

Yep, there were 2 drivers that stalled it during this race.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mercedes stopped using them expecting a protest...what would be the point protesting them now, the titles are over

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Seb was in unexpectedly good spirits with his P3 start. He looked very calm, relaxed and happy. It must be because this season is at a close.

ATBNM3, G. Pepper and daytona355 like this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm just as calm, but it took a Guinness or two to get me here. :)

ATBNM3 and Nortonious like this.
  6. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Same, but toss in a little O2 deprivation and muscle fatigue.

Any Breckenridge Tifosi out there? We'll have a breakfast race viewing at the Doubletree.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  8. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  9. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Expect this to be deleted soon.

10. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Lots of pain going on...

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Actually, Merc ‘self protested’ proactively to get a definitive technical view. Ferrari then knew there was no point protesting something that had been declared legal. This happened long before the championship was over.

william and kraftwerk like this.
  12. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Maybe you’d like to explain how if they were certain they were legal, and their effect were as big as it was, that they elected not to run them then? Any team that has a marginal device that is passed by scrutinising would run that device if it gives them tyre management and race benefits like these rims did the Mercedes.

13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well that’s obvious. Either the re-engineering wasn’t possible in the time available or the benefits to Ferrari were marginal. Remember- the tire heating issue was quite particular to Merc.

william, kraftwerk and DF1 like this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What has that got to do with Mercedes wheel rims? They removed them as they expected a protest, by removing them, there couldn’t be a protest, and the whole thing had been recognised too late to do anything about it. As soon as the wheel rims were removed, Mercedes had issues with their car and lost one race, and almost lost another..... proof the wheel rims were a key ingredient to the cars perfomance. Ferrari didn’t protest them in Abu Dhabi as what would be the point? The championships were already decided, so why bother. They can now develop the same technology over the winter if they want, and Mercedes can’t protest our car....

Mercedes have several devices on their car that are questionable, and even at the weekend, they demonstrated they are happy to manipulate the rules to their advantage with the running of sensors that will benefit them in the test this week that could not have been used had they not run them at the weekend - the rest of the teams no doubt were aware of this but honoured the rules by not running their own take on the sensors. Whatever way you play it, Mercedes cheat, and the FIA, scrutinisers and liberty allow it to happen. That’s what makes the hybrid era so ****ing boring..... Mercedes win because they have the rules in their pocket, they were designed by Mercedes and fed to the FIA, and they politicise every single question raised of them. No amount of excuses can deflect the accusation and the facts of this.

15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    You want to take something for it then..... I recommend morphine, helps my cancer immensely

16. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I honestly don’t know why you’re so angry with Mercedes. If you take the time to understand the facts you will realise one simple truth. Mercedes haven’t ‘cheated’. They have just been smarter. Their engineers have been smarter, their strategists have been smarter, their management have been smarter in their understanding of the rules and races. See a theme here? We (Ferrari) need to compete not by running to Headmaster with (unfounded) allegations of cheating, but just by doing a better job than we are. Simple.

I share your frustration at Ferrari’s inability to win this season even though we had the right equipment, but trying to incorrectly blame Mercedes for cheating doesn’t actually help solve the problem of Ferrari underperformance.

17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 they all look to 'cut corners' so nature of the game. Mercedes are just doing this right/better at the moment. Ferrari made a few mistakes - team and more so driver that allowed the utter consistency and reliability of Mercedes the opportunity to take those mistakes and out perform Ferrari. Well done to them but on to next year with Ferrari and Charles bringing a new challenge to Mercedes and hopefully full victory!

18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I never said I was angry, but I want to make sure the facts are known, they cheated

19. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    That aint proof I'm afraid, even in the current political climate.

kraftwerk and william like this.
  20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ...of the car....

daytona355 likes this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :D:D:D

375+ likes this.
  22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    That, sadly, is fake news. Find me one Ferrari team source that now says its a fact.

kraftwerk likes this.
  23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Actually, it is pretty obvious that the Merc wheel rims turned their season around. Before that, Ferrari had equal, if not superior, equipment. What is in debate is whether they cheated, to which the answer is they didn't. They just out thought and out developed Ferrari.

kraftwerk and william like this.
  24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's always the same litany from the tifosi; if Mercedes wins, it's because they cheat.
    It's a rather defeatist attitude to accuse your opponent for your lack of development.

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    WEll, Merc is used to cheat, they do it so often they probably think it's ok by now!