FORMULA 1 2018 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 2018 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Sep 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good Lord! Lighten up brother. I was mostly joking... note the “tin hat” comment.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    No collusion! It would have been if Sirotkin won, but he finished dead last. Off to the gulag.

375+ likes this.
  3. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    2 dull races in a row, SingaSnore and SoSleepy. Hoping Suzaka is better, but Mercedes is definitely the dominant team again this year. I think we all were fooled into thinking Ferrari had the best car, no chance, the Mercs have owned the crappy turbo hybrid era.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    We where lucky the Red Bulls started last and we got some enjoyment out of that early on, and then wonder just how Verstappens tyre's where holding on. Sadly after his pitstop all the excitement left in the race was soon gone and it was a massive anti-climax.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  5. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    and Baku, and Germany and others this season. But who's counting......... ;)

6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Mercedes played the long con this season to perfection. They had the best car all along but they waited until the correct time to attack. Unfortunately the will now go faster in the remaining races. :(

7. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Yes, he came into the realization he is and will always be "the number 2" driver at Mercedes......... :(

8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Because Prost was a better driver than them and drove with his head, not reacting to what the other drivers did.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I wonder if he could've ended up higher if they had just kept him out? His laptimes after the pit were slower than when he was on those old supersofts!!!

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The tragedy is for the rest of the season if Merc are running 1 -2, we will all be wondering if it's all being arranged.

If Hamilton wins, is it because Mercedes would never let Bottas win until he gets the WDC

If Bottas wins, was it Mercedes making it up to Bottas.

It seems phony now. We are left guessing are they really racing or are they just going through the motions in a preconceived plan.

eric355 and Jakuzzi like this.
  12. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I like how Hamilton started complaining to his team at lap 15 when he came out behind Vettel. The guy has the best car the best team a great pit crew everything handed to him on a silver platter which coupled with his good driving and good luck always seals the deal but his team makes one error in umpteen races and he’s immediately on the radio chastising them.

stavura and ingegnere like this.
  13. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I thought Ferrari did pretty good today really. They just didn’t have the car to get it done.

stavura, 500tr and ingegnere like this.
  14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Team orders suck. What is absolutely disgusting is the hypocrisy of Toto Wolff.

I just want to make sure the British media throws a fit because they were OUTRAGED after Austria 2002 and Germany 2010. Won't happen though. Hamilton has benefited more from team orders than any driver in F1 history.

The SKy announcers trying their best to explain it away was amusing as well

Pathetic.

tuttebenne and ingegnere like this.
  15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I agree that Wolff didn’t need to make that statement...obviously the ONLY reason he made the statement at the time because he had the two fastest cars on the grid and that was the WDC title chase. To act above team orders was silly.

Can’t agree about Ham benefitting more from team orders than anyone in history lol. It certainly killed off drama for the rest of this season today.

DF1 likes this.
  16. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    If nothing else, at least you’re consistent. I see striking similarities between your POV on display here and your various posts in the Politics & Religion section.

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Like TheMayor said, when Ferrari does team orders, they're cheaters, when Brit teams do it, it's brilliant strategy. Same for tech innovations, Brit teams are clever and take the letter of the rules to the limit, Ferrari are cheaters. See the whole 2 battery thing of this year and subsequent FIA investigation.

Similarly, when Ferrari are successful it is because of foreign talent on board, but when said foreign talent cheats (see Todt with team orders, Schumacher with dangerous driving, Brawn with dodgy barge boards, etc.) it's the Italian contingent that gets tarnished. Leading to idiots like Ecclestone making comments about Ferrari being "too Italian to win", and mindlessly reported by the press. Imagine making that comment about any other race or nationality.

Igor Ound likes this.
  18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    At least for 2019! When it hits mid-season, and Honda has not gotten their act together, Max may be joining Mercedes.

19. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I'm tired of it. I made a promise to myself:

I will not watch even one more interview from the Little Diva Elton for the rest of this year. I might make an exception if he DNFs or is stomped for some reason, but otherwise, I'm not not going to look at his face, or listen to his voice, or listen to the Brit announcers nuzzling his feet again. I'm done with it.

If he clinches the title in a couple of races, I probably won't even watch the remaining races. We should all do that and send a message.

20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

21. ThePunisher

ThePunisher Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Troy
    It's always been the same ever since F1 began .................... remember the " garagiste" ??

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Amen

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    F1 today is just a very big business..sport? not so much.

The days of transit vans and caravans are long gone ...together with most of the sporting aspect.

24. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139063/verstappen-backed-off-late-on-to-save-engine

Red Bull's Max Verstappen abandoned the chance of a late-race surge on new tyres in Formula 1's Russian Grand Prix to save his engine for the remainder of 2018.

Verstappen charged from 19th on the grid to lead the majority of the race at Sochi after running an extended stint on soft tyres, as the top 10 used ultrasofts and hypersofts.

The Red Bull driver stayed on his soft tyres until the final 12 laps of the race and returned to the track with a margin to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen in fourth that appeared in reach.

But Verstappen's pace tailed as he ran to a lonely fifth place, and Red Bull boss Christian Horner revealed a decision was made to conserve his engine.

"It was a shame he had to make the stop really, but of course it is mandatory," Horner told Sky about Verstappen's opening stint.

"The other compounds were very fragile, so we stopped as late as we could, but we could see already they were starting to chunk up a little bit.

"At that point you are too far behind Kimi to have a go at him, so it was a question of 'we took the penalty of the engines here, let's save these now for the races coming up'."

25. DF1

+1 and the team orders is just part of that and has been for a long time. None of the outrage here can be new lol. We have multiple examples of it recent and past. Time for Suzuka lol! :) Wet most likely it seems.