FORMULA 1 BWT GROSSER PREIS VON OSTERREICH 2021....RACE...▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀. | Page 16 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 BWT GROSSER PREIS VON OSTERREICH 2021....RACE...▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀.

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Maybe there is some truth to that but even in regular road cars the Mercedes engines are just phenomenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Surely possible and we will never know the truth in any of this or even the current 'new regs' coming.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #378 william, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    I don't believe for one minute that Ferrari, Renault and Honda were coerced by Mercedes and Jean Todt to agree on the hybrid formula.

Take Renault and Honda, they are in and out of F1 as it suit them. Honda WANTED to re-enter F1, having left only 3 years before! Same for Renault , they kept saying they were very much in favour of the formula, claiming (like Honda) they wanted to learn about the technology. These 2 could have left F1 if they wanted, as they keep doing when the going gets too tough for them.

That leaves Ferrari, and they are the only team to have a veto! I would be surprised if anything could be imposed on Maranello.r

Mercedes proposal would have been ignored if the 3 other engine bulders had objected. The FIA needs some concensus to write a new set of rules, or the grid will inevitably shrink.that's what I think.

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, Montezemolo admitted later that they should had vetoed it, but they didn't know that Mercedes already had built an engine around the rules they were trying to pass.

Ferrari doesn't use the veto very often, I suppose because they know they're in this in the long run so they have to leave some leeway.

Beau365, jgonzalesm6, Bas and 2 others like this.
  5. DF1

Renault according to reports/press were in favor of this hybrid formula early on.

william likes this.
  6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

• TV viewers of Formula One (F1) worldwide 2020 | Statista

2020 ratings below 2013 even...the final year of the Vettel era.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Im not surprised lol after 4 races it was over
    This year promised to be thrilling but the way it’s going since Monaco has been one sided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

william likes this.
  8. DF1

If the Mercedes upgrade fails and Max trots to flag - it is over lol!

william likes this.
  9. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Equal pegging with Coulthard

10. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Yes, they were oblivious to what Mercedes had already prepared in their secret bunker.

Bas likes this.
  11. DF1

So Mercedes prepared well and are at fault lol?????

If Ferrari did this then what is the verdict. Mercedes took the rules and built a winning engine. If only other teams had done so then maybe we would have had more competition. That NOT Mercedes fault AT ALL.

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mercedes built a winning engine before the rules were written.

Beau365, Bas, Picchu88 and 3 others like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The rules and regulations during the hybrid era gave Mercedes and Lewis their domination.

Their dominance wasn't on merit because of the rules and regulations.

Now that another team has caught up to Mercedes, finally, Mercedes does'nt look so dominant at the moment.

Beau365 and Bas like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Kudos to them then, I would say !

There was a time Ferrari was doing the same.

I remember a time when Ferrari tried 4 differents engines for the same formula: V6 (90 & 120 degree), V8 and V12 !

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What I find absolutely crazy is Honda throwing the towel once more just as their engine starts winning regularly.

They always get their timing wrong at HONDA, the last time they exited F1, their chassis won the title the following year !

After 7 years of misery and a catalogue of failures, Honda gives up when they reach domination.

I wonder who makes these decisions ...)

16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Agreed. Honda, along with BMW & Toyota, got out of F1 in 2008 due to the financial crisis. They rewarded BRAWNGP very well financially after the exit.

This time in 2021, Honda is leaving to pursue other ventures WHILE rewarding RedBull with a powerful PU.

One would think they would stay but I believe that once they achieved their goal, which they have with RedBull, they opt out.

jpalmito likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think the reasons for BMW and Toyota leaving are different than Honda's.

BMW failed to buy Williams as they had planned, and their association with Sauber didn't bring them the results they expected. But they were successful in touring cars and DTM.

Toyota was never comfortable in F1, their natural environment was rallying. Also they had unfinished business at Le Mans which has always been their main ambition.

So when ythey had to cut down their budgets, they both chose to give up F1 where neither of them was successful.

Honda considers F1 as a laboratory to learn about new technologies and a challenge for their next generation of engineers.
    When they think they have learnt enough, they leave.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see then back for the next challenge, like synthetic fuel or hydrogene, if they judge it relevent.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep

Ferrari was too busy squabbling over which cylinder configuration was to be had. Cosworth was out due to costs anyways, Renault was overly confident (and still are to this day!). Mercedes got it right and had an answer for every configuration, good for them. Their 2014-15-16 car chassis and aero was also top of the field so even with engine parity they'd have won the titles, though less convincingly.

The FIA failed massively with the token system they brought in. Whilst the teams behind could upgrade, Mercedes also could...but they had a (very long lasting) advantage of learning about their engine in race trim and where to improve. By the time the slower teams upgraded their engines to be near Merc power levels, Merc brought in their next upgrades and where leagues ahead once again. When the tokens where announced this is what arm chair experts predicted to happen and it unfolded exactly like that. Quite sad that the inept people at the FIA, with all their experts, couldn't (or did they?).

Beau365, 375+ and william like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    IMO, the token system was the worst part of the hybrid regulations.

Bas likes this.
  20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Had they not written the token system the last 4 years would've looked very different. I still think Merc would've won 14-15-16, partially because of the engine they delivered, but also the way the team was organized and the chassis/aero package delivered. 17-20 could've been very different indeed. All these years all the teams primary focus was on the engines.

The token system rather ruined it as the way upgrades where allowed, it was always inevitable that Mercedes stayed a step ahead. You can't make a 10% jump. It has to be done in stages...the data Mercedes learned running their engines at a higher level than the rest, allowed them to make the upgrade to stay ahead....time and time again.

17-18 could've been Ferrari 2 championships. 2019-now they just made god awful chassis and aero (I will never know why they went with the low downforce, low drag concept then. Never.)

375+ likes this.