FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA 2019: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS *** | Page 7 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA 2019: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I reckon that hybrid 1000 HP TT V8 will be almost as fast as the F1 car!

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    End of 2020,when he well be 35,i guess he would still have a few more years in him if he wants it.

william likes this.
  3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Oh no...his good performances were due to his superior driving skill and mindset. o_O Now that some else has found better pace, it has nothing to do with their ability to out pace him...its soley because he's graced them with member from his side of the garage.

furoni likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

There was one...an upgrade?????? LOL :)

5. DF1

Between management and Vettel titles lost................no question. And FA was a problem lol

william and crinoid like this.
  6. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    The lack of competition killed those series , Porsche was very dominant so if you interpret that a simplistic , so it is .
    Nobody is accusing MB of anything , they are doing a better job than the competition year after year , kudos to them . It has however made what was already a pretty lame show even lamer now . A BTCC race is way more exciting to watch than F1 .

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #157 william, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    The lack of competition is the series organisers' responsability, not a dominant participant's fault.

For the CanAm, McLaren's decision to pull out of the series just after Chaparral was a major blow, leaving Porsche fighting against amateur teams.
    The CanAm organisers could legislate against some participants (like Chaparral), but not against others (Porsche), thus destabilising the series.
    The CanAm was originally started around cheap stock-bloc V8 atmo engines, making racing affordable to private teams; then the organisers allowed Porsche to bring a purpose-built turbo racing engine costing 10 times more: it was like introducing a fox in a chicken pen!

In the case of the WEC, the ACO wrote very elitist rules that favoured only factories and eliminated private teams.
    There were very few takers, and Porsche withdrew because there was no worthwhile competition.

I agree about the BTCC, now one of my favourite series; a bit manipulated perhaps, but very entertaining.

8. However, it was okay when Ferrari dominated for those years with Michael, correct? McLaren, Williams, etc., etc. There are very many that find it no "lamer" now than the '50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and '2ms......'just as enjoyable now as ever, watching the very best ply their trades in a competition (personally not interested in a "show") to see who comes out on top....nothing has changed there whatsoever. The grids are closer than ever; there are more finishers than in the past; and those finishers are closer than in the past. What's lamer now about ten teams that MUST build their own cars, than in the past, that are so close in performance.
    For open wheel "exciting" "good" "show" may I suggest IndyCar where the "show" is well orchestrated (spec, one make DW12, how "exciting"...) for those that need it.
    Regarding the lower series being more exciting "shows" to watch for you? Simple. Enjoy them. I do every chance I get along with the upper tier, less exciting races. Exciting or not, it's still competition. I'll stick to theatre for shows, thank you very much. :)

william likes this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    At the time FA WAS certainly a great part of the problem.

Jakuzzi and william like this.
  10. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  11. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    It hasn’t been ok for a while now , it is getting worse and worse . The grids are close in qualifying , the races are more boring than ever . I am not trying to change anyone’s opinion , this is opinion , taste is subjective , ultimately one chooses whatever they like .

william likes this.
  12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    #162 P.Singhof, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Hamilton only talks about "respect" as long as the other one is not threat and yield into the No.2 role...
    As soon as this is not the case the respect is soon gone and the psycho games begin. He talked down Nicos achievements to a change of the mechanic team and now Valtteries to the new engineer. He does not even understand that stating this he admits that the only difference between him and his team mate might be the people around him. Nico was able to stay cool one year and he is half-Finnish, so let´s hope staying cool is not a problem for a full-Finn

Jakuzzi, furoni and Isobel like this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not sure I wrote it here or elsewhere, but this years Merc is like Ferrari's F2004 car...2003 a lot of teams closed the gap on Ferrari and expected a tight battle for the 2004 season. Ferrari came with a car that looked quite a lot like the 2002/3 car, so people where surprised....little did they know was that Ferrari just perfected every part.

Mercedes hasn't changed their concept much, just adjusted for the rules and perfected every part...and each upgrade they bring to the track (and they update each weekend to suit the track!), just works. Ferrari hardly brings upgrades and then there's the question if they work at all....

Ferrari has no excuses not to be competitive today. They've got a superb engine now finally but their chassis is definitely not good. By far the slowest of the top teams in slow corners.

Red Bull still lacking some engine so they've got that as an excuse. If they had Mercedes/Ferrari engine power they would be fighting the Mercedes. I think the Mercedes (excluding engine) is right now the better car than the Red Bull but that's mainly down to the adjustments Red Bull had to make to adopt for the overheating issues. I'm not completely convinced Red Bull can go for the Monaco win but I'm sure they'll win races this year.

crinoid likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I tested this theory somewhat just now: I slotted in a V10 from the 2004 era into a 2019 car and did back to back laps. Took all the hybrid crap off the V10 car. Zero adjustments on either car. Result? The 2019 car with 2004 V10 is a LOT faster than one with a V6.

Only change I made was take 50 kg out of the V10 car (engine weight then 95kg, engine weight now 145). Gears definitely needed adjusting as couldn't get out of 5th (obviously gears are fixed for the hybrids), but I couldn't be bothered doing that yet and it was already much faster. 1.6 seconds faster at Barcelona, 2.1 faster at Spa, 1.1 faster at the Red Bull Ring (Small track and a few low speed corners needing all the torque the V6 has).

Best thing of all apart from noise? No engine/KERS management....

G. Pepper, Finlander and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  15. DF1

He took a lessor performing car and put it in position to win not fold like a beach chair in Cannes as Vettel has.

crinoid and Bas like this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yeah FA did that. He can certainly drive. His efforts are at least partially if not completely nullified by his destruction of teams.

william, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    And the rules and regulations made to favour his team and him ;)

18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    My money says both Ferraris 30+ sec back from Merc winner, assuming they both finish. :oops:

19. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I now revise my prediction. Vettel will be lapped by Hambone. :confused:

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We all have a dream in our head, and then we Wake up and face reality.

I like prop aircraft so much that sometime I dream I could fly across the Atlantic onboard a Lockheed Super Constellation; but what's the chance of that?

I would bet almost anything that V10 atmo engines will never make a come back in F1.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    probably not, no. F1 too busy listening to their Mercedes masters.

Many brits, some even Elton fans (my friends), have given up or already gave up as they're tired of the elton/merc show.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Years ago, I was tired of the Schumacher show myself, so I can sympathise with that feeling !

Personally, I like to watch clinical efficiency at work, as displayed this afternoon by Mercedes-AMG.

It was like a beautifully choreagraphed ballet without any false note.

I hope Mercedes stays in F1 for a long time: they have become the benchmark.

Mark(study) likes this.