FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2022....RACE.... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 14 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX 2022....RACE.... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Nov 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Pirouettes.:)

TurboFreak650 likes this.
  2. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Maybe it was Grosjean or Ricciardo a few years ago in Abu Dhabi that asked about doing donuts but was also told not to do it.

Anyway, great comments on a quiet race to end the season, I'll say a 2nd place driver and 2nd place constructor is an improvement over the last few years and leave it at that.

As far as any suggestion that Max should have backed Charles into Sergio...the only place I've seen that is on my video game, or uh when Hamilton did it to his own teammate in 2016!

Oh, and speaking of HAM, can the guy just not defend in that corner of Abu Dhabi? Full credit to the Mercedes team for telling him to give the place back, but boo to the stewards and HAM for not seeing it that way. I think the basic two-part rule is if you 1: Leave the Track and 2: Gain an advantage, then you give it back or get a penalty. I'm not a HAM fan, but he clearly did both of those today, and I applaud Mercedes for telling him to give it back.

OK, one more on HAM, the ONLY Mercedes mechanical retirement all year, just 3 laps from the end of the 22nd race? Incredible reliability.

I'm picturing a big fat 3 team battle next season, with Ferrari REALLY needing to up their game.

I saw the season long driver points, and with Nico Hulkenberg last with zero (only a couple races) someone that didn't know better would be asking why Haas is replacing a guy with 12 points with a guy with zero! :p:p

william likes this.
  3. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    with that Brasil point and same finish today, would Checo have finished 2nd?

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    He finished ahead of latifi if that counts.

stavura, william and lagunacc like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

His spinning partner !

6. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    :rolleyes: :D

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Of the three top teams this year, Ferrari is the only one that went backwards and gave up half way through the season. The only teams worse than them are Williams, Alphatauri, and Haas...which means Ferrari will be fighting in 2023 with Aston Martin and Alfa Romeo for 5th, 6th, and 7th. I still think there is a chance that Haas could be sold to Andretti in the off season...and Binotto will go to Alfa Romeo. With the budget caps in place, the next step is to make it a spec series.

8. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Correct on that no further investigation was needed when Sainz overtook Hamilton at Abu Dhabi 2022 on the same turn that Max overtook Hamilton in 2021 at the same track on lap 1.

So, it would seem if you get squeezed in the turn by your opponent, feel free to go off track and gain an "unfair advantage" to keep your position.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Discretion of the stewards, I guess.

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Agreed.

Lewis was told to give the position back...which he did.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The radio from the team to LH was "the stewards have asked us to give the position back"...so it was almost certainly an instruction from the stewards to do either that or get a heavier penalty.

lagunacc likes this.
  13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    OK, but is there no documentation in writing that the stewards made the decision?

14. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No. It wouldn't have mattered.

/

Bas likes this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I thought the 'no further investigation' was in regards to whether Sainz forced Ham off the track. There was another investigation ongoing about Ham gaining an unfair advantage, but must have been dropped when Ham gave the position back.

Ham was smart about when he gave the position back, i.e. right before the DRS detection, as he regained the position immediately.

Bas and subirg like this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap, he's learning a few tricks from Roscoe...