FORMULA 1 EYETIME GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2018: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS *** | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 EYETIME GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2018: QUALIFYING *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here is a comparison of the original Oesterreichring with today's Red Bull Ring. The part on the bottom, between today's turns 1 and 2, still exists intact and could be added back into the circuit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP, Jeronimo GTO, cig1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here's another idea which keeps the run between turns 1 and 2 mostly intact. The two hairpins which result would be good out-braking spots and should help promote passing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP, Bas, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeah but doesn't the old section need resurfacing and FIA Grade A status before being used?

Anyway Ted's Notebook the thumbnail shows him interviewing Bernie. (this video will be deleted soon)

375+ likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, of course, but it is far easier to do that than to build a completely new section of track.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I watched the whole thing and especially enjoyed Bernie's Polaroid analogy. Thanks for posting.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very very nice idea. If my memory is correct Marko has discussed using the old loop but that section is in another jurisdiction (village/commune) and there were issues.

Here is an onboard with Nakajima in 1987, full track proper long corners there are numerous on Youtube: enjoy:)

NEP and 375+ like this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I'm afraid you are probably correct. Liberty are making big pushes into social media and Hamilton is their golden boy in that regards. Sometimes it seems like Vettel is getting the Ballestre treatment that was dished out on Senna. Politics placed before a sporting dual.

The "incident" had Zero consequence to Sainz. The FIA should be ashamed of it's current rule book, presumably written in crayon. It's detrimental to the sport.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    not the first time I've thought that.

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ecclestone used to say it all the times :)

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Bob, would you like fries with those words? ;););):D

tomc and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep! Gladly.

But -- I also said baring some kind of unusual event (aka a crash or breakdown). Who would have thought both Mercs would break? Or that Kimi would have his best race of the year? I also think the track temp had a negative impact on Merc's tires. Too bad for them. I'm not crying. :)

I'm pleasantly surprised and of course happy to be wrong. But I'm still not optimistic about the British GP. Hamilton owns that track.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :)

I'm not optimistic about british GP at all. Unless the heat wave continues Ferrari doesn't stand a chance.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Please, please, not more hairpins !!! We don't need more Mickey Mouse tracks.

Nothing like a fast flowing circuit with no corner lower than 3rd gear, to reward power, top speed and big cojones!!! .

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Agree. And artificial chicanes that do thing to add to the race but slow down the cars. Give them more passing opportunities. What is so different to understand?

If they need to think as much about designing the track as people do to design golf courses