FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX HEINEKEN DU CANADA 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 13 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX HEINEKEN DU CANADA 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Robb and NEP like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep....and that's without fancy DRS (3 zones of it!), superwide slicks and 14 extra years of understanding aerodynamics...

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Congrats to Ferrari nas Seb...and Leclerc again in the points...the kid is good, very, very good!

stavura, NEP and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  4. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    c
    Compared to Ericson, every other driver is good.
    I do not understand this LeClerc hyping.

stepheng2131 likes this.
  5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Look at everyone that leclerc is beating. His car is the worst in the field (with the possible exception of Williams). He’s the real deal.

6. (A) If it is contrived, no. Otherwise, yes. Maybe the UFOs have something to do with things, eh?
    (B) As a matter of fact no; but accept it as it is inevitable (much to my chagrin)
    (C) No.
    (D) Where did I mention history regarding our exchange?
    (E) It was an editorial "person", not you specifically. However, the defensiveness indicates perhaps the shoe fits....?
    (F) No. I used it to show that, despite you're "state of the technical formula, the tire situation, etc. is not (my insertion) particularly healthy.", it is being an entertaining season.
    (G) Speaking of history, during my fifty-five years of following F1, the majority of seasons have been dominated. As it should be, as usually, the cream rises to the top. (unless of course we're talking about a toss of the dice one make or BoPed series)

Anywho, ain't some friendly discourse/exchanges of thought good? To me, 'always a pleasure. :)

7. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Charlie Whiting already said it wasn't her fault and the guy in charge told her to wave it at the wrong time. I knew that's what happened, I was a track marshal at motogp in Austin. It was my first time ever working a corner and I ran out and push started a bike that went down during the race, and was on comms the whole weekend with race control. I could marshal at F1 in Austin if I wanted to... and actually might. It's a good way to get front row center for the race... for free. I was in the paddock and at the podium standing next to the Honda team during the celebration and got sprayed with champagne. It was awesome.. I went places you cant buy access to, and probably will for F1.

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ERicson is no genious but he's not as bad as many say...Werlein was considered good enough by Nercedes and he barely beat Marcus..Nasr was also a good driver and it was the same.....Leclerc is completly trashing him, fighting with Mclarens, alonso , not making mistakes and scoring points almost every race...anyone that saw him race in gp2 knew hw was a super talent, now in f.1 he's just proving he's a real star...i confess he's the best, moste exciting driver i remenber watching ever since jean Alesi and Michael shumacher debut in f.1!

stavura, jgonzalesm6 and Igor Ound like this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    A Mercedes engine upgrade next race. They need it.

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap, just hope it blowns on their hands!

12. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Yes, retarded by one lap.....:D

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Whiting defends F1 after chequered flag gaffe

JUNE 11, 2018

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Winnie Harlow, Canadian GP 2018

Charlie Whiting has defended F1 organisers after a serious and farcical error at the end of Sunday's Canadian GP.

Winnie Harlow, a friend of Lewis Hamilton's and a prominent model, was asked to show the chequered flag in Montreal but accidentally waved it with one lap to go.

As a result, the results had to be counted back to lap 68 rather than the scheduled 70.

"There are no models as marshals or stewards either are there?" joked Force India sporting boss Otmar Szafnauer.

Harlow said she was simply told by a race official to wave the flag when she did, while the FIA's Whiting confirmed that it was "a communication error".

"She was given the order too early. So it's not her fault," he is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

The actual mistake was apparently made by a local Montreal official. "He asked the race director if the race was on the last lap. But they understood it not as a question but as a statement and answered ok," Whiting added.

He said it was a serious mistake, but also defended those who made it.

"Wherever there are people, there will be mistakes. We have different communication systems and different languages at every track," Whiting added.

"We could think about replacing the flag with a signal on the LED boards. But it would be a huge hassle for a problem that occurs once in a decade," he said.

Luckily for F1, the actual result was not affected by the mistake.

But race winner Sebastian Vettel admitted it is a problem.

"I was just worried," said the Ferrari driver. "I told them on the radio that people should not jump on the track waving and celebrating, because we're still at full pace."

14. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Reading more on that, he talked about language barriers and locals and what not just basic misunderstanding like 69 of 70 doesn’t mean you’re on the last lap. Here’s confusion on that ... if once you cross the line and hit 70.. that’s it or you have to go around one more time.

It’s sort of like the confusion when you tell a group of people “oaky we go on three...”. Does that mean literally on three or we say three than go. I get how non-race people or if that has t been explained clearly can cause an issue. Either way... I still think it’s a slap in the face to have someone in such a cool position doing something pretty damn cool who doesn’t even know what F1 is or why she’s even there. It’s sort of like having someone who doesn’t believe in saving or investing ring the bell on the floor of the stock exchange. Makes no sense. I’d rather see that little kid who was crying about Kimi fly the flag.

atlocal likes this.
  15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hmmm... I had assumed drivers would not be able to connect with the halo when strapped in. That's concerning.

If Hartley hit his helmet on the halo during the impact, I'd say it was counterproductive in this instance.

As Jules Bianchi was.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Ney likes this.
  16. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    WINNERS AND LOSERS - Canadian Grand Prix edition
    Canada
    11 Jun 2018

A new championship leader in Sebastian Vettel, his Red Bull rival Max Verstappen bouncing back and another impressive drive from Ferrari protege Charles Leclerc. Canada was kind to many but not everyone will head back across the Atlantic happy with their weekend’s work…
    THE WINNERS
    Vettel back on top
    [​IMG]

It was a textbook victory. Once Vettel pulled away from pole position and entered the first corner in the lead, the German never looked back. The Ferrari driver showed pace when he needed to, building a gap to pit and comfortably rejoin in the lead.

He made it look easy, though he stressed it was anything but in his post-race interviews. “In the middle of the race, I had to change a lot of things on the steering wheel,” he said. “At some point I was saying ‘Okay, when am I allowed to drive again?’ Obviously we were managing some things in the background.”

His reward for a faultless drive was his 50th Grand Prix victory and the championship lead, overturning a 14-point deficit to Lewis Hamilton to lead by one point. He’ll also take confidence from that winning feeling, something he has not enjoyed since the second race of the season. On this form, his rivals should beware. No wonder he was bouncing for joy afterwards...

Verstappen bounces back

Monaco was not a race that Verstappen will remember fondly. In fact, there hasn’t been much to celebrate so far this season for the young Dutchman. But he responded in style in Canada, topping all three of the practice sessions – having previously failed to hit the top of the charts at any point in 2018.

In qualifying, he achieved the third fastest time and then raced hard to finish less than a second behind the Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas. It’s just one result, of course, but it was a mature response from a driver whose season was – and to an extent still is – in danger of unravelling.

That’s two podiums in three races now. Another couple of strong results and his frustrating start to the year will be nothing more than a distant memory. But that, of course, is easier said than done.

Bottas keeps it consistent

[​IMG]

No driver has more second-place finishes in 2018 than Bottas. Mr Consistent has reached the second step of the rostrum four times in seven attempts. Sure, he would prefer victory but that kind of form is nothing to be sniffed at.

The Finn’s latest drive to second showed once again that he’s capable of delivering on a weekend when Mercedes aren't on top form. While team mate Hamilton struggled, Bottas kept it neat and tidy – and at one point in the race was catching Vettel rapidly in the battle for the lead.

Bottas is now up to third in the drivers’ standings, 35 points adrift of championship leader Vettel. But it’ll only take one DNF for the German or Hamilton and Bottas will be right back in the fight, particularly as there are still 14 races – or two thirds of the season – still to go.

Renault tighten grip on fourth

For much of the season, Haas have shown they have the fourth best car. But it has been the yellow-liveried Renault team, who have delivered the points tally worthy of that title.

Carlos Sainz has scored in six of the seven races, while his team mate Nico Hulkenberg has managed five top-ten finishes. That kind of consistency has rewarded them with a comfortable fourth place in the constructors’ championship - they lead nearest rivals McLaren by 16 points.

They still have some way to go to catch the frontrunners – Hulkenberg and Sainz finished one lap down in seventh and eighth respectively in Canada – but the gains they have made over the last 12 months are abundantly clear. Renault are on the charge.

Leclerc delivers again

Scoring points was a rarity for Sauber last year. But the Swiss team have turned things around this term – and rookie Leclerc has made the most of it. The Monegasque’s sixth in Baku could be seen as strong but perhaps fortuitous.

But points-finishes in two of the next three races, including in Canada, only enhance the claim that Leclerc is a star of the future. The Sauber driver rose as high as seventh and even indulged in an exciting battle with Fernando Alonso, holding his own impressively, before ultimately settling for 10th.

Perhaps the best barometer of how well he’s doing is the gap to his more experienced team mate Marcus Ericsson, which currently stands at eight points. His prospects of promotion next year have never looked better.

THE LOSERS

Grosjean’s bad luck continues

What has Romain Grosjean got to do to catch a break? After a dreadful run of form this season, Grosjean appeared to turn a corner in Canada.

He was the quicker of the two Haas drivers all weekend, making the most of a significantly updated chassis, but had his preparations interrupted when he hit an unfortunate member of the local wildlife population during practice.

Grosjean recovered and showed the pace to make it into Q3 only to suffer an engine problem almost as soon as qualifying had started. Undeterred, he started the race brightly, running a long first stint to rise as high as seventh from the back of the grid.

Twelfth was disappointing, particularly as he felt he should have finished seventh if he had been able to qualify, and scant reward for what was arguably his best performance of the season.

Hamilton and Mercedes beaten

[​IMG]

On paper, this looked like a race that Hamilton and Mercedes would dominate. Hamilton has won six times in Canada in ten attempts. Mercedes had won the last three Grands Prix in Montreal. But they failed to deliver.

The team didn’t bring their engine update as planned. Rivals Ferrari did. Mercedes couldn’t get the best out of the hypersofts, particularly over one lap. Ferrari – and in particular Vettel - were able to. The result was second for Bottas with Hamilton in fifth.

Mercedes had their lead cut in the constructors’ championship to 17 points while Hamilton’s 14-point lead was wiped out and he leaves North America trailing Vettel by a point. Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff described his team’s performance as a “wake up call”.

Plenty of work to do, then, for the Silver Arrow before France.

Home hero Stroll suffers

Lance Stroll scored his first F1 points on home soil at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve last year, but on his return to the Canadian venue, the Williams driver was not as fortunate. He qualified a disappointing 16th. And things didn’t get much better in the race.

In fact, his participation lasted just a matter of seconds as he got tangled up with Brendon Hartley through Turn 5 on the opening lap and was eliminated on the spot.

Even if he had avoided that contact, points would have been unlikely. But he and his fans – many of whom were packed into grandstands around the hairpin and never got so much of a glimpse of their hero - would have expected more than what he managed on Sunday.

Frustration for Perez after Sainz contact

Points were clearly on the cards for Sergio Perez in Canada, and he was running inside the top ten in the early stages. However, when battling Sainz for P9, the two made contact, with Perez pitched onto the grass.

The Mexican’s impressive car control minimised the damage, but his hopes of scoring points were all but over. He and Force India tried something different with their strategy, opting for two stops but it wasn’t enough to get back in the points.

Thus there was only one pink car in the top ten, that of Esteban Ocon, much to Perez’s frustration.

McLaren’s challenge stutters

McLaren made a fine start to the season, scoring points in each of the first five races with three of those double points scores. But things have unravelled since.

Monaco was a huge disappointment, particularly as the track should have suited their car but mechanical gremlins struck Fernando Alonso while the Spaniard ran seventh - and neither car scored. Alonso was on course to score in Canada, but technical troubles hit the double world champion again.

With Stoffel Vandoorne down in 16th, McLaren failed to score points for the second race in succession, meaning they lost yet more ground to Renault, who were much quicker with the same

“Today has been a day to forget and move on for McLaren,” reflected Racing Director Eric Boullier. The British team have a lot to do to gain ground ahead of F1’s first ever triple header.

NEP, Finlander and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  17. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Not to nit-pick, but the F1 chart of tire stints goes up to 70 and they only raced 68 or 69 laps, man was that confusing!

18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1, although others will say he is just following orders or that the team is screwing him. Whatever. I've asked a couple times now for someone to name the last time Kimi made a serious attack on a car in P1-4. No answer yet, just excuses.

19. Whatever.... :p:)

20. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Great result for Ferrari, incredibly boring race to watch, even worse than Monaco in my opinion . The chequered flag mix up was the highlight of the race

Lotaz likes this.
  21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Kimi is consistent...at cashing in that paycheck towards a comfortable retirement.

Seb's happy /thread.

ps God the last 2 races have put me too sleep faster than anything...

22. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I follow the racing, but not so much the personalities. Who is he???

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

This just in Andrew

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Magneto.......Prof. X's nemesis...:D Michael Fassbender.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  25. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I turned on the start of the race, watched for a while, it put me to sleep. Woke up later for the end and much to my amazement (not) most everyone was in the same exact order. Boring racing, and yes the finish mix up was the highlight of the race.