FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX HEINEKEN DU CANADA 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 15 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX HEINEKEN DU CANADA 2018: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep

Bottas says a "critical" fuel situation at the end of the Canadian GP almost allowed Verstappen to overtake him at the finish line:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Bas likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Don't they have a lap counter near the finishing line?

And aren't the drivers in contact with their pits to know when the race finishes?

3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Vettel over team radio said something to the effect of "please tell them not to wave the flag as the race is not over." Something like that ....so he new.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It must have been confusing to the drivers, to say the least.
    What would have happened if some had slowed down just after seeing the flag, and others kept charging, knowing the race wasn't over?

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Brent
    Agree completely. I refused to attend the CGP for the first time in nearly 30 years because of the Halo. Ridiculous device that could easily be hidden until needed. I was appreciative the race itself was somewhat of a yawner as it eased my mind the decision was correct, especially as it ended early due to a Hamilton model/crony who could care less about the race but wanted to wave a flag, hopelessly giving the checker to any car that passed by. Another Bieber memory we’ll have to live with until Urkel moves on. At least there was a reprieve as he was thankfully absent from the podium, easily the highlight of the race for me.

6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Kimi even said "What's up with the effing checkered flag!!!" Team radio chimed in " Keep pushing....keep pushing"

william likes this.
  7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well... the only thing about that really is that It’s far more likely Bottas wouldn’t attempt that sort of pass in the first place.

8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    2 days late..... but a great result for Vettel/Ferrari. Let's hope the keep being consistent with the results. :)

NEP likes this.
  9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Izzy, are you ok from your acident with Brandon? You really messed up this time! :)

Isobel likes this.
  11. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #361 Dino2010, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
    The whole bunch of FIA morons found enough reasons to ban the grid girls from F1.
    But an imbecile model that wants to waive a flag, and who can't count till 70, that's OK with you guys? Where the **** is this leading?

Whiting believes that the starter was misled by the TV graphic that notes the lap that the leader is on, rather than laps completed - which is what happened in a similar situation in China in 2014.

"I think people who don't work in F1 are sometimes a little confused by the graphic that they see on the screen where it says 69 out of 70," he said.

"I think that's where the doubt originates. Obviously we need to do a better job of briefing these people." (End of citation)

Can you believe that this fulltime idiot Whiting dares to say this, in 2018?
    What a shortsighted dumb clown you gotta be not to realise to what this could have led to?

-Imagine, by the 69th lap Hamilton would have been 2nd behind Vettel and whilst passing the finishline (for the 69th time), Hamilton would just overtake him , and be with the nose of his Mercedes just ahead of the Ferrari. Vettel being aware enough of the power of his car, counting with the fact that there is one more lap to go... And Vettel defending hard enough to overtake Elton back at the end of the long straight again, knowing that the race is 70 laps. Then this model, this Winnie the Pooh Harlow waves the flag, and legally the race is over, 1 lap too soon.
    That something like that could have happened, in a sport where millions of bucks are at stake, is just beyond imagination.
    Just think one second, that someting like that would have happened, what then, you brainless Whiting?
    What would you have done to keep your chair of head of FIA?
    What then, FIA, ****ing Idiots Association?

12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Hi Pedro, well you know I really climbed through the traffic fast to 13th and I could hear all the fans cheering for me in the Senna stand. Everything was looking good for me to finish ahead of Kimi based on my early pace but my car slid over on Brandon’s side of the track and we had a racing incident. A shame because I was looking forward to giving all my fans a real treat by finishing well into the top 10. Anyway, on to the next race and I hope everyone Dad invited to the race enjoys their swag bag. Thanks, Stroll18@;)$$$

13. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    That’s an old story that’s been dragged out by Senna apologists for years looking for conspiracy theories to prove that Ickx, a factory Porsche driver, was favoring Prost in a TAG (Porsche) powered McLaren, was doing a favor for his employer. A quick look disproves that. First the race start was delayed 45 mins because of the rain, and most people agree that the race would never have been started in the last 20 years. People were crashing out every lap, it just wasn’t safe to race. Next everyone likes to point out how fast Senna was catching Prost. Well the truth is Bellof was catching Senna faster than Senna was catching prost. Next, if the race had continued and Senna, or more likely Bello had won, Prost would have won the WDC. As it was stopped before half distance only half points were awarded so Prost ended up loosing the drivers title to Lauda by 0.5 points. Full distance 2nd place Prost would have won by 1.5 points (would have scored 6 not 4.5 points). Finally the most likely outcome of a full distance race would have been Bellof 1st, Prost 2nd as it was found later that one of Senna’s front control arms was fractured and wouldn’t have last more than another coupld of laps. That could have been a strange outcome as at the end of the season the Tyrrell’s were DQ’d and all points for the season were stripped (lot’s of Politics in that one for another day) so the record books now show Rene Arnoux as the 3rd place finisher not Bellof.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seems contrary to the forum belief then, Kimi is awake during the race.

NEP, stavura, newark_308 and 2 others like this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No politics needed..they where simply cheating and got caught.....of course balestre was happy to catch them with the hands in the cookie jar..or should i say the "led machine".

Isobel likes this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am no Senna apologist, nor do I believe in dark conspiracies. But it just happens that when a race is curtailed against expectation, the outcome leaves a taste of what "may have been" if it had followed its course. I only said that at Monaco the public was robbed of an exciting finish, and I meant nothing else.

LVP488 and Isobel like this.
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    100% correct!

18. Lucky Jones

Lucky Jones Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Manteca
    Full Name:
    Dave
  19. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
  20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I couldn't believe ABC ran with no commercials!

tifoso2728 likes this.
  21. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
  22. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Sad though Tyrrell was caught and they didn’t allow Monaco to continue. Would have been nice for Stefan to have won in F1 before his Spa accident. Tyrrell was doing all he could to stay competitive with no turbo. Even without the shot in his brake cooling tank ;), Bellof probably would have won going away. The Cossie’s even delivery of power combined with the superior traction of the Goodyear rains meant Bellof was making short work of everyone, he qualified last on the grid. Without the DQ halfway through the season, Tyrrell was doing ok for a minnow with only a DFY for power against the turbomonsters.

william likes this.
  23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Halo, Pirelli adding to overtake problem says Perez

JUNE 13, 2018

Sergio Perez thinks the heavy Halo cockpit protection layout and Pirelli tyres could be adding to F1's overtaking problem.

It is undeniable that last Sunday's Canadian grand prix on the normally exciting Montreal layout was dull.

"We cannot disagree that qualifying in Monaco and Canada were more exciting than the races themselves," F1 sporting boss Ross Brawn said.

"You expect that at Monaco, but in Montreal the winner is normally not decided until the very end."

Sebastian Vettel said after winning in Canada that F1 has always been like that and always will be.

" I don't like how people today are so short sighted. We had seven races this year and I think some were phenomenal, some were boring.

"But next week the World Cup is starting and I promise you that a lot of the games will not be exciting, but still people will watch it," the Ferrari driver said.

And Brawn says that the exciting thing about F1 in 2018 is that the championship fight is close.

"I agree with Vettel," he said. "Not every race can be exciting, even if that's what we're looking for. People will watch for the championship anyway.

"Like Vettel, I'm also a football fan."

Brawn said one solution Liberty Media is nonetheless working on is a budget cap, to bring the slowest teams closer to the powerfully funded front runners.

But Force India's Sergio Perez thinks another couple of ideas would help.

"I don't understand why it was so impossible to overtake," he told Speed Week after Montreal. "The cars are heavier this year because of Halo, and that doesn't help. But the pace difference you need for an overtake is enormous.

"I think that as long as Pirelli does nothing dramatic, we'll probably always have boring races."

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^I saw that interview after the race. They then asked Ricci about Perez' comments and he offered that the current cars are so wide that if makes passing difficult. Whatever the cause, hopefully, they can address it. Unless, Ferrari wins the championship, then all is right with the formula!
    T