FORMULA 1 MERCEDES-BENZ GROSSER PREIS VON DEUTSCHLAND 2019: PRACTICE 1/2/3 *** SPOILERS *** | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 MERCEDES-BENZ GROSSER PREIS VON DEUTSCHLAND 2019: PRACTICE 1/2/3 *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jul 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Tow strap over and ON the driver's head? Someone really has their head up their ass on that.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Reckit Ralf enjoying much leisure time now that he's been retired since 2012.

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yes. :oops:

daytona355 likes this.
  5. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    highlights from fp1

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The old Hockenheim was a great circuit. This version is a joke.

7. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Wrong. Ralf took over KSM Schumacher Motorsport, the German karting team founded by his brother. Not only he grew up the operations of his brother's racing team, but also he created his own kart chassis brand: https://www.rs-kart.de/en/

9. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Charles again just sghowing how fast he is...beating seb around here ins't easy!! Now if we could just keep this heat wasve going trough the weekend there might be a chance!! On teh other hand i'm keen to know how good charles is in the wet...that's the only thing i'm missing to know just how good he is.

daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looking pretty ok for far for Scuderia.

Racing point had decent a session too.Stroll 7th?o_O

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Alternatively, you can have thicker radiators.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Which, all else being equal, only restricts the throughput of cooling air. So there has to be other changes as well.

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Here's hoping for a wet qualy and race. Bring out some chaos, break the monotony.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Means nothing. Times are over 2sec slower than last yr Q3.

See above. Will Lance improve his time by over 2s tomorrow? Doubtful

16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You could but that would add more drag and moreover, the thicker the radiator the least effective it becomes. ie the air travelling through the cores at the back half is losing its cooling capacity very rapidly, so in effect you get little benefit and no / very little heat exchange. Zero gain.
    Best
    Tony

daytona355 and jcurry like this.
  17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's been done in the past though ...

18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, but the needs of a F1 car, imho, has changed dramatically from the past. Some F1 teams even up to the 1980's used normal car radiators and didn't really worry to much about drag and airflow within the side pods. If it didn't overheat that was all they were concerned about. Its also worth considering the complexity of the ducting inside the side pods as well, I guess there is a lot of aero work internally as well.

Today its very different and there are 5 heat exchangers I can think of located in the side pods (water,oil,gearbox,turbo intercooler and energy recovery) so the scope has been reduced significantly for the designer. Possibly why Mercedes have opted for a smaller engine cooling system calculated on a risk basis, ie how many times are they likely to caught out by high ambient temps.

Best

tony

daytona355 and william like this.
  19. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    As much as I hate to say it. Any one can win practice. Mercedes wins races!!!

Mark(study), 375+ and daytona355 like this.
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looks like they have squeezed in another radiator somehow ,at the same time the bodywork is larger to allow for a greater venturi effect,with more airflow/cooling.That should increase drag though so lets see how it works.

Interesting to see if they run in that spec for qualy/race.

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Maybe everyone else has engine turned down as nothing to gain if raining tomm,but Lance still going flat out?

Even so faster than Cheko!

daytona355 likes this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Very good point. In fact, I think we see that with Mercedes EVERY practice, and most of qualy till it matters. Engines producing 90% of potential, sometimes less, and then turned up to the optimum percentage, rarely 100%, for the final part and the race until the point where the pit stops have finished and places are assured, when they come down again. Stupid extended engine longevity rules destroys the whole basis of a championship supposedly designed to test the best of the cars and drivers within it, in truth, we rarely see the full potential of either unless Mercedes falter mechanically, and someone has a sniff of a chance.

You don’t even see very often the call go out to a car to REALLY push for a set of laps (think of Michael in France (2004?) where they were on the back foot, so the call went out to push very very hard THE WHOLE RACE to make up the time loss and to include 4 pitstops (when has it EVER been a plan to pit four times!, never, it happens when it’s changeable conditions, not as a plan). That call used to happen a lot, very very rare now, they rely on waiting for a safety car, or an issue for others, they barely think about actually racing anyone, more about out-pitting them!

stavura, TonyL and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Well today is a pleasant surprise and I won't make any more out of it than that. My good wishes are with Ferrari. I'll be very happy if they prove my previous pessimism wrong. A Ferrari 1-2 might be a long shot but it would also happen just at the right time. So until it proves otherwise, I'll hope for the best.