FORMULA 1 OOREDOO QATAR GRAND PRIX 2021 - Lusail - RACE... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 OOREDOO QATAR GRAND PRIX 2021 - Lusail - RACE... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Nov 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I like how you think and can take a joke my friend! :)

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    So basically they're making it so the last race will decide it all and they'll be even going into it at this rate...

Jeronimo GTO and Jakuzzi like this.
  3. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Alternatively, Verstappen can crash out with Hamilton in Saudi (new track, better excuses) and finish second in Abu Dhabi while Hamilton wins.

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    That sounds very risky to me. Couldn't the FIA strip him of all his points for the season? And I don't think that is the way either driver, nor their teams, want to win.

Jakuzzi, Senna1994 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  5. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Is it risky? Sure it is. Schumacher lost all his points in 1997. So you need to do it wisely, like what Verstappen did in Monza this year. If he didn't crash out with Hamilton that race, Hamilton would gain more points by now.

Is it a way that a driver / a teams wants to win? Absolutely! That's winner's mentality. The end result matters, especially if Verstappen has no other choice given how superior Hamilton's car is at the moment. I assume Schumacher, Senna, all the greats will do the same in this situation.

6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    If in the end he is second or lose all his points I don’t think it makes any difference for him.;)

lagunacc and ferrariforevervp like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The stewards in Qatar organised for Christian Horner’s “rogue” marshal to meet Max, to compensate for his team boss’s rogue remark

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Max already won this title and he knows it, everyone knows it, the FIA stamp on it won't make much diference i guess. It will to merc and elton, because it's the only way to try and legitimate what they lost on the track.

Bas likes this.
  9. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Toto didn’t even hide it his post race comments. He referred to it as their “spicy” engine from Brazil. If that’s not a Freudian slip I don’t know what is.

lagunacc and Bas like this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LOL - Hide? A perfectly legal engine. Post the new conspiracy. He has 2 motors. One from Turkey and Brazil. He can use either one. RedBull can do the same.

subirg, Schultz, Terra and 1 other person like this.
  11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Winner mentality ?
    No- Michael Jordan is a winner by any means if necessary, what my idol Senna did and MS in 97 was pure wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakuzzi and Terra like this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh, sorry. I just woke up.
    Did I miss something?

Jakuzzi and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Upgrading an engine mid season is not allowed, only mid season upgrade that's allowed is a reliability upgrade.

Mercedes massively upped the power on their engine and admitted that it would decrease reliability of the engine ''because so few races are left''. How is decreasing reliability a ''reliability upgrade"?

Red Bull can't do the same. Their ICE degradation is very low (.1 between new engine and old).

lagunacc, JL350, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Isn't anyone in the motoring press mystified by the incredible power advantage Lewis demonstrated in Brazil, or is it all down to his genius as a driver? Virtually NO discussion of this. Mercedes writes their own rules and everyone quietly falls into line. F1 has become a farce. Welcome to the WWE!

Jakuzzi, lagunacc, fil and 3 others like this.
  17. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    I would speculate Mercedes has taken a fresher engine and modified the mapping to get more out of it for the few remaining races and not worry so much about endurance - as long as it survives the remaining races! If other teams are prepared to take the penalty, surely they could do the same thing. As with Mercedes, perhaps the performance mapping trumps the penalty - as long as the ICU can handle a higher performance map?

surfwolf and Terra like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The very much British based press agreed that the questionable & sudden performance gain is totally irrelevant, and it must be down to His Lewisness' brilliance. Despite him really struggling the past few races. Nothing suspicious at all, Sir.

absostone likes this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The engine a manufacturer gives to their customers MUST be of the same spec. However, good luck for 1 such teams to speak out against them...

375+ likes this.
  20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Interesting assessment of the kerb issues of Qatar - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/bizarre-quirk-of-qatar-kerbs-caused-f1-problems-reckons-mercedes/6812019/

Bizarre quirk of Qatar kerbs caused F1 problems, reckons Mercedes
    By: Jonathan Noble
    Co-author: Adam Cooper
    Nov 23, 2021, 4:13 AM
    The brutal car damage dished out by the kerbs at Formula 1's Losail circuit was a result of them not being aggressive enough, reckons Mercedes.
    A number of drivers hit trouble over the Qatar weekend as they suffered car and tyre damage throughout the event.

Charles Leclerc and Nikita Mazepin both had to swap chassis following damage caused by kerb strikes, while Pierre Gasly smashed a front wing that triggered a puncture at the end of qualifying.

In the race, it is suspected that the repeated running over the kerbs played a part in the tyre failures that were suffered by Valtteri Bottas, Lando Norris and Williams duo George Russell and Nicholas Latifi.

Rather than the issue being that the kerbs were too rough, Mercedes head of trackside engineering Andrew Shovlin says the situation was so difficult because the kerbs were actually too low – so there was no deterrent to running over them.

"It is strange because the issue is that they are actually quite smooth, so therefore you can run all over them," he explained.

"When you run all over them, the front wings are very low to the ground and they are being clipped, plus the tyres are being hit pretty hard by them.

"In a bizarre way, if they were more aggressive it would probably be easier for the cars and the tyres.

"But the fact that you can get on them, and the quickest thing is to get on them as well, means you have got to do it here, and therein lies the risk."

Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes W12

Photo by: Glenn Dunbar / Motorsport Images

F1 race director Michael Masi said that there was nothing unique about the kerb design at Losail, which are regularly in place at both MotoGP and F1 venues.

He cited the fact that the exit same kerb concepts are used without complaint at the final sequence of the Red Bull Ring in Austria.

"They're the standard FIA / FIM kerbs that we've seen at the last two corners at Austria forever," he said.

"I think one of the things is that drivers were trying to use everything to their full advantage."

Pirelli has opened an investigation in to what caused the tyre failures in the Qatar race, and will examine whether drivers abusing the kerbs was a key factor in the punctures.

The Italian tyre manufacturer's head of F1 and car racing Mario Isola said: "Any small debris, any kerb, can cause a small puncture.

"Then, losing air, the tyre when it's broken is not able to sustain the high level of energy that these cars are putting on the tyres."

21. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Jakuzzi and 375+ like this.
  22. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Nope, no one is interested in the reason the “spicy” engine blew past all their customer engines by 30 plus klicks. It’s all Lewis’ amazing skill at holding the wheel straight and pushing the throttle to the floor. It was a master class on straight away technique. He’s the greatest straight away driver of all time, just ask him. It’s pointless to try and pretend that the Brazil engine is a typical spec. When Seb and stroll took new engines a few races earlier, why didn’t they blow by every competitor? And their chassis is essentially a copy of the Merc.

trumpet77 likes this.
  23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Interesting about Fred. If Kimi and Michael had better reliability in 2005 and 2006 respectively Fred wouldn’t have been WDC. That said Fred had the best season I’ve ever seen in a bad car in the last ten years. The 2012 Ferrari was an evil handling car yet Fred almost won the WDC that year-would have won if he wasn’t taken out at the start in Spa. As for those people who think his skills have diminished he gave Lewis a driving lesson in Hungary this year despite Lewis having a car 2+ seconds a lap quicker. Coming from Prost that is quite a compliment.

Jakuzzi and 375+ like this.