FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 29 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There are rules about driving off track limits, and regaining the track safely after an excursion.

These rules were broken, and the stewards penalised Vettel according to these rules; they just did their job.

Ferrari and Vettel can appeal against the decision to have it overturned.

I think there is a due legal process possible, as well, so I don't see where is the problem.

The solution is to bring more walls and guardrails to physically punish those indiscretions: there will be no controversy then.

Nobody complains against the "Wall of Champions" when their car gets smashed.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #702 TonyL, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    STEWARDS REPORT

Fact: Car 5 left the track, re-joined unsafely and forced another car off track.

Offence: Involved in an incident as defined by Article 38.1 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Decision: 5 second time penalty (2 point awarded, 7 points in total for the 12 month period).

Reason: The stewards reviewed video evidence and determined that Car 5, left the track at turn 3, rejoined the track at turn 4 in an unsafe manner and forced car 44 off track. Car 44 had to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Article 9.1.1 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits.

I don't see any sudden change in direction by any driver and personally feel the emotive language used by the stewards "to take evasive action" implies

to take evasive action, you deliberately move away from someone or something in order to avoid meeting them or being hit by them.

Clearly SV took evasive action as evidenced by the steering input as shown on the in car footage, likewise Hamilton's only "evasive" action was to lift off for about 0.5secs when he realised the gap was closing fast.

Both drivers acted superbly and defines racing at its best.

As for the decision, its killing the sport

MalcQV, sammysaber, jcurry and 4 others like this.
  3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    bring it on closer barriers as Hamilton would have been in the guard rail before Vettel trying to over take outside of track limits

4. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Typical...

sammysaber, classic308 and Bas like this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

sammysaber, Jakuzzi and chrixxx like this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Many driver's make a comment when another driver 'cuts' a corner. Vettel, etc etc. Nothing new at all. We can find radio call's for many of these situations by many drivers. Today was nothing extraordinary in terms of radio about a cut corner.

ATBNM3, werewolf, ktu and 1 other person like this.
  7. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143996/vettel-steering-inputs-key-to-fia-penalty-decision

A second steering wheel input from Sebastian Vettel after he regained control of his Ferrari Formula 1 car was pivotal in his Canadian Grand Prix penalty, Autosport has learned.

The Montreal F1 stewards ruled that Vettel had rejoined the track in an unsafe manner following his error at the first chicane with 22 laps to go and forced Lewis Hamilton off the circuit.

The five-second penalty imposed for the incident meant Vettel lost what would have been his and Ferrari's first win of the 2019 F1 season to Hamilton.

Vettel was adamant he had done nothing wrong, and said he had been powerless in the situation because his car was out of control after running over the grass.

But while it is clear from on board footage that Vettel was battling to control his car as he bounced off the grass onto the circuit again, it is understood that the stewards' decision was based on Vettel's actions at the point he had effectively recovered from the incident.

The stewards examined slow motion footage of Vettel's actions from the moment that he had regained control and started steering his car - and felt the evidence showed that he could have made different choices that would have been within the rules.

The footage clearly captures Vettel correcting an oversteer moment as he rejoins the track - which is shown by a sharp steering wheel movement to the right.

Shortly after that, Vettel has sorted the oversteer and begins steering to the left to follow the direction of the circuit - suggesting he is now under control.

But a split moment later, rather than keeping to the left, Vettel is shown to release the steering wheel - which allows his car to drift to the right, cutting off the route that Hamilton would have taken had he had clear space.

The movement to straighten the wheel, which put the Ferrari into the path of Hamilton's Mercedes, is believed to be key to the unanimous decision by the stewards to punish Vettel.

The stewards also used an extra CCTV camera view of the incident, which was not broadcast on the international television feed, showing Vettel moving his head and looking in the mirrors to see Hamilton was during the moments when he was releasing the wheel to the right.

On board footage of the Vettel incident also shows his head turning towards the mirrors in the moment when he is drifting out - suggesting he knew where Hamilton was.

Had Vettel kept his car tight to the left once he had regained control, then there was likely enough room to have allowed Hamilton through on the right - in which case the matter would almost certainly not have been investigated.

The fact that telemetry data showed Hamilton had to brake to avoid the collision with Vettel indicated how the Mercedes driver was caught out by his rival's actions.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Precedent for the decision to punish Vettel for both rejoining the track in an unsafe manner and forcing a rival off the track was made last year in Japan when Max Verstappen was hit with a five-second penalty for a collision with Kimi Raikkonen at the chicane.

Verstappen had run wide at the chicane on the first lap of the race and rejoined in an aggressive manner, pushing Raikkonen wide on the exit.

At the time, the late F1 race director Charlie Whiting said: "You are required to rejoin safely and Kimi was there and [Verstappen was] pushing him off the track. So I think that was a fairly straightforward one for the stewards."

ATBNM3 and werewolf like this.
  8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Yes Im fully aware of that.... What gets to me is that he was so quick to complain on the radio and yet at the post race interview he made it seem like he had nothing to do with it.

sammysaber, 375+ and Bas like this.
  9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    - Car 44 saw that car 5 left the track well in front of him
    - Because car 5 was on the grass (and with little grip) Car 44 would not have been able to predict where car 5 would end up - in a spin, in the wall, whatever..
    - Regardeless of where car 5 might end up, car 44 decided to try and overtake (on the outside)
    - Car 5 happend to rejoin the track and ended up where car 44 was trying to overtake - hence car 44 had to take evasive action.
    - If Lewis hadn't tried to overtake an out of control car, he wouldn't have needed to brake.

Lewis took a stupid risk in deciding to attempt an overtake when he saw Seb going across the grass in front of him, Lewis would know from his experience that Sebs car could have spun (or fishtailed) when getting back on the track and gone in an unpredicable direction, including hitting Lewis car, taking both of them out. It was fortunate that Lewis, despite the reckless overtaking attempt, was able to avoid hitting Sebs car.
    This could well have been "Lewis fails to avoid Seb's crash" or "Lewis risky overtaking maneover takes both drivers out."
    While it was Sebs 'fault' that he lost control, it was Lewis 'fault' that he then put is car in a position where he might need to take evasive action to avoid Seb. It was a calculated move on Lewis part to attempt to take advantage of the situation, knowing that it may not work out. This is why is was a racing incident and not deserving of a penalty.
    M

375+, Banzai!, stavura and 2 others like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A driver can report an infringement, but he cannot adjudicate on it.

Hamilton did nothing wrong.

As he pointed out, Hamilton had nothing to do with the penalty.

werewolf likes this.
  11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    that's not the point.

Lewis said not days ago ''I wish there was more wheel to wheel combat on track''. The moment it comes anywhere near wheel to wheel combat, he's on the radio complaining. Not the first time, won't be the last.

sammysaber, fil, 375+ and 5 others like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What we saw yesterday wasn't a correct "Wheel-to-Wheel" combat, but a deliberate attempt by Vettel to put Hamilton in the wall !! (a la Schumacher)

I think we have a different definition of what racing is.

Anyway, the issue here is between Vettel and the stewards, so keep Hamilton out of it: he did nothing wrong.

Mark(study) likes this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Eh? What do you expect Lewis to do slow right down and say 'after you sir' following meekly behind ? sorry ,no way would any driver do that !

14. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    How do you know Vettel's move was deliberate? No proof for this at all.
    Vettel slides to the right because of physics and poor grip, due to have passed trough the grass.

sammysaber, stavura and Picchu88 like this.
  15. DF1

This^^^^. The needless drama from Vettel after is the worst part of this. A driver was penalized yesterday. World turns. I would say the same about LH. Vettel leaves track and suffers. Life in F1 and he knows this implicitly. Ferrari can appeal and could regain the victory. Good for him if it happens. We have a system and rules nothing new is it lol

werewolf and william like this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok ,so unless Ferrari can come up with any proof that Vettel did not do what Autosport are reporting then it's game over .I need to take another look at the replay ...but it all happens so fast in real time its hard to pick up these very fine details.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No, you are right, I have no proof, but it seemed like an attempt by Vettel to get the best of a bad job by blocking Hamilton.

18. DF1

His steering inputs on track and a second one at that show he had control is my guess but the Stewards have more data about his car etc. Probably kept the slight steering angle in towards wall, accentuated that again and looked to block LH progress in the area where Vettel saw him.

He is looking in his mirror to the right as well from photo. LH said he would do the same. Vettel lost his gamble after HIS off track error. Sorry but Seb did this to himself.

History is showing similar judgements so this is nothing new overall.

werewolf and william like this.
  19. DF1

Fully agree. Stewards have data etc. The appeal could be successful!!

william likes this.
  20. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  21. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143997/hamilton-id-have-done-the-same-as-vettel

Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton says he would have done the same as Sebastian Vettel in the Canadian Grand Prix had their positions been reversed.

Vettel received a five-second penalty for rejoining the circuit unsafely and forcing Hamilton off the track after he went wide over the grass in their battle for the Montreal lead.

The penalty meant Hamilton just had to sit behind the Ferrari to the flag in order to pick up his third straight win.

Asked by Autosport for his view on Vettel's driving, Hamilton replied: "I watched the replays. It's obviously very close.

"What I can say is if I was in the lead and I made a mistake and went wide, I probably would have done the same thing.

"It happens so quick, and you're just trying to hold position. And when I say I'd do the same, I would have tried to squeeze him too.

"That's ultimately what happened. So my opinion on that has not shifted.

"Regarding the rules, say you didn't have that rule, I would have kept it lit, and we would have crashed. One way or not it was going to go badly."

22. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #722 Smyrna355Spider, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    I really wish driving coaches would drive a race car before telling a driver what mistakes he made. I understand you are here to attack anything Ferrari, so the motivation is obvious. To bad the logic you use is nonexistent. First, the reason he left the racing surface is because he couldn't slow down enough to make the turn. God how could that not be obvious to you. You say he should have slowed down more. He was trying to slow but couldn't slow enough in time to make the corner. Secondly, I guarantee he got off the throttle while on the grass. The car would have spun immediately if he had hit the throttle while on the grass. Everything you posted makes zero sense. Vettel made an error he was lucky to recover from and he was penalized as if he made a decision to try and push Hamilton off the track. Stick to attacking Vettel's reaction to the penalty at least you will have some factual evidence rather than fantasy conjecture.

Finlander likes this.
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical

Stop it at 0.23 ..

I believe this is what Autosport are talking about .If Vettel had held this lock on they (stewards) think he would not have drifted out and blocked Lewis,but he didn't he levelled it out. . My question would then be how do they know he didn't pick up a bit more oversteer and had to unwind it ?

It's split second stuff of course and i can't slow mo it. Maybe someone can print the image at 0.23?

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Failing to slow down was Vettel's mistake, and nobody else. How can you excuse that from a driver?

Vettel has to take ownership of the conséquences after that !!!

IMO, he failed to slow down because he felt the pressure behind and failed to set a pace to resist it.

Under pressure, Vettel panics, crashes, comes off the track, spins or misses corners, as amply demonstrated yesterday again.

It's a lack of racecraft for which he is famous for. The guy has lost 2 championships because of that !!!

25. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have no clue what you read. I stated exactly Vettel made a mistake. Please read before attacking.I also believe his reaction to the penalty was poor and evidence exist to that fact.

stavura likes this.