FORMULA 1 ROLEX TURKISH GRAND PRIX 2021 - Istanbul....QUALIFYING....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX TURKISH GRAND PRIX 2021 - Istanbul....QUALIFYING....▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Oct 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    4 Honda engine cars made it through Q3.

pilotoCS likes this.
  2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Have to be really happy with Leclerc's starting position. I think we have the overall strongest driver pairing, seems like one of them is always putting themselves in the hunt for a podium even if the car doesn't seem to have that kind of outright pace. The new PU could put us squarely ahead of Mclaren, but leaves me a bit concerned for '22 as the chassis seems stronger than the PU...

ricksb likes this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    So Chuck starts 3rd. Not bad.

I wouldn't mind seeing Val Terry Bad-ass pick up a win.

Don't put it past Hamilton to finish on the the podium. Which is OK as long as Max finishes ahead of him.

Riccardo has another snake-bitten day.

It will be interesting to see how far up the placings Carl can get from last on the grid.

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    ingegnere likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Another impressive performance by Fernando. I would like to see what he could do in a top car?

subirg, jpalmito, DF1 and 3 others like this.
  7. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    It’s just the hybrid portion of the PU that got updated. Next year’s engine will be all new and the hybrid portion will have been developed this year so hopefully they’ll be in good shape PU wise.

As for the chassis, it’s pretty amazing (right there with RBR!!) how they’ve developed what was a dog last year with limited token changes and very little development during the year. Most of the improvements have come with set up changes.

635CSI, jpalmito and 375+ like this.
  8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Jeronimo GTO and ingegnere like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Too bad Stroll messed up MSC’s lap in Q2 as he probably would have been through to Q3 on the softs.

jgonzalesm6 and 375+ like this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Possible but he is weak on Saturday

11. DF1

What is interesting is press on Mercedes says no upgrade since UK GP. Have RedBull slowed upgrades??

We must wonder how these 2 compare if Mercedes did continue to upgrade. If they have not actually upgraded Mercedes since UK GP they have done well to offset floor loss of downforce.

I thought RedBull would be stronger than this weekend shows overall. Race will be enlightening

12. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Hungary- Hamilton only car on starting grid
    Spa- Russell “finishes” second with Banzai quali lap
    Dutch GP- Verstappen’s most dominant drive this season
    Monza- The Clash, pt 2, Return of The Shoey
    Russia- crazy finish, but Merc on top

Save the Dutch GP, Merc had the faster car in the other races. Rain has been a factor this year (specifically changing conditions during qualifying and/or the race) in the second part of the season. Bottas v Max usually isn’t much of a tussle, but we’ll see if being in clean air makes it a challenge.

Horner sees USGP & Mexico as “Red Bull” circuits. I can see rain in the forecast the next 4 races, incl Turkey. I think it’s a bit of a lottery at this point.

Bas likes this.
  13. DF1

Embarrass he would many 'top' drivers including the youth who are so featured now lol!

375+ likes this.
  14. DF1

Mexico yes. USGP - why. They should be stronger in Turkey and are not. I see no reason why USGP circuit is stronger for either. Monaco/Zandvoort was the only real RedBull circuits in terms of structure.

Mercedes are fairly strong given few updates if any since UK etc. RedBull are not at all dominating as they should I feel. If anything they seem to have leveled off overall. With no updates for Mercedes of note, why arent RedBull doing better.

Im not just taking it race by race, as press and former F1 drivers are no better at guessing that we are here in our chairs and couches providing EXPERT insights LOL :)

ricksb likes this.
  15. DF1

OK 'sandbagging' lol?????????????????

Verstappen doesn't think Red Bull has the pace to win Turkish GP
    By: Alex Kalinauckas
    Oct 9, 2021, 10:26 AM
    Max Verstappen does not believe Red Bull has the pace to beat Mercedes in Formula 1’s 2021 Turkish Grand Prix, where he will start second alongside Valtteri Bottas.

16. Top speed

Top speed Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joonas
    Speaking about the wing level choice, Leclerc said: "I knew it was going to be a tricky session for us because we decided to go for a low-downforce set-up for this qualifying for tomorrow.

"Eventually I think it is the right choice, but for today it was going to be tricky."

So Ferrari opted for more straight line speed for the race (to help defend tomorrow), Leclerc betting on a dry set up, hope it pays dividents in the race.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I do think the Pirelli's play a part.

Mercedes had a significant power upgrade around that time as well, with the controversial sensor as well that FIA said they won't take action on (quite strange given how FIA acted when Ferrari apparently played tricks with the engine, and got extra sensors fitted...this required just the moving of a sensor! And lets not forget all the other things that FIA acted on this season alone to slow down the bulls...but refused to do the same for Mercs).

I think most dominant drive this season from the Bulls was Austria. Dutch GP was very tight in both quali and race (remember Lewis pitted at the very end so the gap was artificially large, in reality they where within seconds the whole race). Bottas outqualifying Max here and Perez by nearly a second. The Merc is still mighty. Red Bull posing their strongest challenge yet, and had a genuine pace advantage at several GP's over Merc (Austria, Monaco, Baku), but the overall best package is the Merc. I think the Baku tyre blow out and Silverstone will become extremely expensive later on in this year.

Lewis should finish easily P2 tomorrow (if Max leads). If their race pace is as strong as their quali pace, he'll win it. 2 big DRS zones here. Big downforce wing on Lewis' car, little one on Bottas...Bottas will be fast in a straight line for Max, whereas Lewis with a big downforce wing can easily keep up in dirty air and then DRS pass everyone. Alonso can't place his car here like he did in Hungary either.

375+ likes this.
  18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sandbagging, but being realistic.

It'd be a miracle if Verstappen wins. More likely that Bottas wins and I wouldn't even exclude Hamilton from a win.

The tricky bit for Lewis will be making it past lap 1: He is in the middle of the pack and bad things can happen there.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  19. DF1

Yes LH has to navigate the crazy first corner and just hang on till free of it. Bottas has only 1 thing to do tomorrow - Get a clean fast start lol. For once!

20. DF1

We cannot control what the FIA does as we have zero view of what is provided to them.

The flex-wing controversey died. The tires are not under anyone's control at a team. Pirelli stated last year data does not apply and they went too soft per the press. Now the teams must adapt. The weather could further surprise and provide a Charles win lol :)

21. DF1

Good! Let all of them drive and sort it on the circuit!!

Bottas "fully going" for Turkey F1 pole, not asked to help Hamilton
    By: Alex Kalinauckas
    Oct 9, 2021, 10:46 AM
    Valtteri Bottas says he was “fully going” in his bid to top qualifying at Formula 1’s 2021 Turkish Grand Prix and was not asked to lift to help Lewis Hamilton.

22. DF1

Alonso under investigation for F1 yellow-flag infringement in Turkey
    By: Jonathan Noble
    Co-author: Sergio Lillo
    Oct 9, 2021, 10:13 AM
    Fernando Alonso has been summoned to see the stewards at Formula 1's Turkish Grand Prix for allegedly not slowing for double waved yellows in qualifying.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And Hungary.

24. DF1

Ted saying on Post Qualy Report that Mercedes think they have a 'batch' problem with components possibly, and not a critical design issue possibly with the PU. Assessment is on-going to see what is the major issue overall with the PU. Max has an entire new vs LH has new ICU only for now. Nothing more overall with that issue for Mercedes.

Ted will feature this in the pre - race show tomorrow. Maybe he has more.

25. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    No action taken. Fred will start sixth.

Bas, 375+ and DF1 like this.