Formula E is flacid | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Formula E is flacid

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Jan 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Love threads like this...so much BS!

Formula e is booring, and will never be as populate as F1. But it has its place.

Wave energy is ludicrous and like wind, unpredicatble and not about when you need it most ie coldest day of the year.

Tidal should be invested in as its predictable till the end of time!!! But isn’t visible and therefore not sexy to the dumb ass politicians.

Latest nonsense I read is BC will be all electric vehicles within something like 10-20 years. Yeah right, and does that include a complete upgrade to the entire power grid (which off course has no impact on the environment!!!) and oh all the extra power sources required for all this “magical zero environmental impact electricity”??

Should we google Africa and cobalt mine? Some interesting pictures of what our “magical zero environmental impact electricity batteries” are doing to our world.

Now they are saying we should turn vegan as vegetables produce less gas than meat. Get your chainsaws out boys; we have rain forests to cut down to grow bean sprouts!!!

Some days I dispair at the shear stupidity of these people! Unfortunately the press love them and politicians are so dim they gobble this rubbish up!

Seems that common sense is in such short supply in this world today it will soon be extinct!

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ....you can still bring the chainsaws, cows must be turned into juicy stakes!...it's a gain, gain situation, wi'll eat the cows and the vegans can eat the grass...everybody happy!

Tackleberry and stavura like this.
  3. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    :D:D:D

4. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/red-bull-no-interest-formula-e/4326088/amp/

Some of Helmut Marko's words:

"The Formula E cars are like a Formula 3 car with a 400kg battery."

"It is not about being the fastest driver as it involves a lot more energy management than in Formula 1 or in any other racing series."

"They are so slow. It only looks attractive on these tight and twisty city circuits. The huge advantage is that the Formula E is a super marketing gag, in the middle of the cities."

"Ask your girlfriend if she wants to go to Spa or rather to New York! That's the basic concept of Formula E, to go to the people."

"But there is hardly any public image generated through TV. Only one can win. And when the budgets then go towards 40, 50 million, at least one [manufacturer] will only be fifth or sixth."

"[When that happens] I believe that the euphoria will be gone quickly."

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Well done helmet! Nail..... head...... wallop.

FE destined to be a short term fad for the millennials, with no long term future other than as future fairground rides when they sell the old stock to the gypos for scrap.... hhahahahahahahaha

6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Eating good fat is now considered good for us :)

daytona355 likes this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

We were in Marrakech and the girlfriend had no motivation in attending Formula E. Neither did I. We hit some far more interesting spots instead :)

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I was very positive before the series started but it’s been a massive let down ever since.
    Very slow, almost spec series cars with no interesting innovations on circuits where it’s almost impossible to pass without crashing.
    Really the same as watching a scalextric. Needs to improve a lot at least in giving complete technical freedom and constant development for the cars.

william likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    couldn't have said it more perfectly! straight talker

daytona355 likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Both Marko and Horner are proponents of going back to an "older" & cheaper formula....along with some current drivers. Aside from the Renault bashing over the years, I have to agree with them. Unfortunately, they don't have a say in the matter except make the best out of it until RedBull looses interest.

Nortonious, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Marko and Horner are mostly irked because they were not able to get an engine partner to put them back on top in the present hybrid formula..
    After 4 WDCs and 4 WCCs, they had to eat humble pie , and they don't like it one bit !!!
    Had they been able to secure Mercedes power units as they thought they had at one point, there would be no grumbling coming from Red Bull.
    I'd never seen such a bunch of hypocrites as the RB crew!

As an aside, an "older and cheaper formula" may not been supported by the present car manufacturers, and potential new ones may baulk at the idea of spending money on old technology; to prove what ? It's a risk.
    Once F1 loses its individual character and innovative aspect, it will drift towards specs regulations.
    That would please Liberty though; their hidden agenda is to mimic NASCAR with a open-Wheel world series, it seems.

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I agree that there appears to be no going back from the hybrid formula to pure ICE. One of the primary appeals of F1 to manufacturers is that it's a test bed for technology that will trickle down to their production cars. Just look at all the money Ferrari has poured into its FXX programs, and how that has reshaped their plans for future production cars. LaFerrari would not exist if not for the hybrid F1 formulas.

Nortonious and william like this.
  13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Is everyone excited?

The Antofagasta Minerals E-Prix is about to kick off in Santiago, Chile.

For a moment there, I thought the race was going to be in Antofagasta. And I asked myself, "Self, would you venture to the edge of the Atacama desert to watch an E-Prix?"

The answer was, "No. No I would not."

But then I realized the race was in Santiago. Hmmm, after more inner dialogue and remembrance of previous visits to Santiago I paused...and you may be shocked to know the answer was still the same.

Incidentally, I once had the pleasure of spending several weeks in Antofagasta. Nice little seaside village that never gets rain. Barren golf courses outlined with paint on oil-treated dirt. A discotheque (or two?) with ladies that seemed to like foreigners. It's been awhile tho, maybe they're all big Formula E fans now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 likes this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehe, are you sure you aren’t intrigued and excited enough to go watch the slot cars? I think the ladies there are just my type.... easy, cheap, and know little enough of my language for me to ignore what they say the next morning as I book them their cab ride!

Nortonious likes this.
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Driver on pole got disqualified because he used too much brakes on the inlap after his pole lap.:D You can’t make this stuff up!

Bas, tifosi12, stavura and 2 others like this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, there are so silly rules.

17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    My intrigue is waning rapidly. I must admit I thought about watching the "E-Prix" via replay on the iPad when one of the many commercials interrupted the 24hrs at Daytona. But I guess they figured out my fast forward through commercials plan...so it no longer appears in the replay menu on FoxSports App.

You can only imagine my sorrow. In my youth I may have needed a young Chilean señorita and a few bottles of the local red to find some comfort.

In the meantime, I will DVR a future airing and possibly watch...or not.

So feel free to post a spoiler on the results here or maybe a lap I could find via fast forward to see something remarkable.

daytona355 likes this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The world is becoming a very much less interesting place than the one we were born into bud, these millennials seem to think they should be given everything on a plate, everything must be connected via smartphone or it isn’t worth bothering with, and they believe anything they are told by the media without even looking out the window to check... interest in cars wanes because they are brainwashed that they are evil, and they think Uber is the answer to all their problems...... racing isn’t supposed to be tough and hard to win, the players are supposed to use good manners and wave people through to have their turn at the top step, and woe betide any team that wants to perform at a higher level..... what about the poor other teams that can’t afford to keep up, it’s so unfair, we must all have a good cry! FE...... also stands for ****ing emotional wrecks, ala millenial mindset

Nortonious likes this.
  19. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Formula Evil

I've watched enough to make up my mind and I'm done.

In its 5th season, the performance and racing are still so very underwhelming. It's not about racing, it's style over substance, perception over reality, gimmick over race craft.

If these cars were shattering lap records at Monza, Silverstone, etc we might pay more attention and get over the loss of audible engagement. Perhaps the technology will advance, but my fear is the quality of motorsports will (continue to) decline....and that is Evil. Formula Evil.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And I thought F1 had some stupid rules.

daytona355, stavura, william and 4 others like this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

It's like they want people to stop watching:D:D:D

22. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I know...and yet numbers are up? (I didn't see this season's numbers). Maybe many others have had the passing curiosity as I have had?

But really, I don't get it. On FoxSports 1, the most recent 45 minute race was interrupted by 15 minutes of commercials and maybe another 5-10 minutes of yellow (with minimal runoff areas on these tight little street circuits it seems to take awhile to clear the track).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/setheverett/2018/07/30/formula-e-ratings-impressive-as-fourth-season-concludes/#1b2c3b59753f

But hey, maybe the ADHD generation will save motorsports!!

“The days are very compact, which caters to a young audience with short attention spans,” said Susie Wolff, team principal for the Venturi Formula E Team.

23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Formula E is being designed for watching on smart phones in three-minute long streaming segments. All they need is 45 minute races...on screens so small that you get the illusion of speed. Viewer/gamer interaction will complete the transformation into a "game" instead of a sport.

daytona355 likes this.
  24. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I would rather sleep than watch Formula E, in retrospect how can one not sleep watching Formula E. Watching the old test pattern on TV is more entertaining than watching Formula E....:

Isobel, JLF, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  25. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Formula e.

cloverleaf, daytona355 and Nortonious like this.