Forza Controller Install on 488 with Pics | FerrariChat

Forza Controller Install on 488 with Pics

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by johnr265, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    OK folks, lots of questions but NO good answers on installing the Forza controller on the 488 so I decided to be the guinea pig and post my results. First and foremost though, I would like to shout out the incredible customer service from Steve over at Forza Componenti. I first bought my controller over 2 years ago for my 458 and loved having it on that car. I finally got around to transferring it to my 488 but there are many more vacuum lines and the install point is different than the 458. Steve immediately responded by phone and email, helping me troubleshoot and problem solve until I got everything working. It is rare to find that kind of support and I am most appreciative.

The first notion to disspell is that you have to remove the bumper. This is NOT necessary. The second is that you have to remove the diffuser. This is also NOT necessary (and a bit of a pain as it is heavier than you think!) To access the plug, you simply need to remove the rear wheel and wheel liner and then you have tons of room to connect. In fact, this was a MUCH easier install than on the 458 (once I knew what to do). I will take you through step by step so anyone with even a modest level of mechanical talent can do it. I will separate into several posts as I am not sure how to post multiple pics intermingled with text.

First picture is a schematic of the vacuum system. It is a bit confusing but my later pics will clarify. You will be hooking into the RH and LH vacuum solenoid valves (one on each side).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Next, remove the rear wheel and then remove the rear wheel liner. I have circled many of the screws that need to come out (I think it was a T27 Torx screw) as well as the suspension line that is attacted to it. There are a couple other hidden ones. Don't forget the one near the bottom of the rear bumper as it is underneath the car.

3. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
  4. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
  5. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Here is a picture with the liner removed. Note that the rear diffuser is not visible in this picture because I had previously removed it (again, a step that is NOT necessary for the installation.) The arrow above the blue chassis bar is where the vacuum solenoid is. The wire with two connectors loose that I circled is the Forza cable that I threaded from the engine bay to the outside of the heatshield. Then I pulled it through to where you see it.

6. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
  7. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Simply pull up on the metal clip (you can use a screwdriver to get it started) and once the clip is removed, the connector simply slides out. This pic shows the end of the connector with the clip pulled off:

8. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Before getting ready to reattach, it is easiest to put the metal clip back on and then it just snaps into place. Here is a pic with the metal clip loaded and ready to go:

9. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Now attach one part of the Y end of the cable to the vacuum solenoid and the other part of the Y to the cable you removed from the vacuum solenoid:

10. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    You could choose to mount the unit here in the wheelwell compartment but I wanted to put it up higher away from wet etc... so I put it in the engine bay as Steve did in his youtube install video on the 360. So now, you need to remove the side engine cover. I have circled most of the screws (same size torx head except for the one by the rear window which is actually a nut).

11. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Once removed, you can now connect the wires from both sides to the controller, attach the ground to the chassis (I tried MANY different screws but the one pictured here was the only one that was close and provided a proper ground), and zip tie the controller and all wires in place.

12. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
  13. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    What's a Forza controller and what does it do? Love the description with pics. Just got my first Ferrari 2018 488 so I'm learning as I go. Thanks in advance for answering the newbe question.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    #14 johnr265, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Obviously the other side is the same, so repeat all procedures from the other rear wheel well. Make sure all wires are safely routed and secured (the wire from the other side I tucked behind the airfilter housing), reattach the wheel liners and suspension cable clips, carefully put the wheel back on (don't ding your expensive rotors), retorque lug nuts to the factory spec 74 ft lbs, and enjoy. There are a few other tips in the instructions for the Forza which you should of course follow including noting the position of the valves when the car is off (open position) but hopefully this DIY helps with the rest of it. I also rarely take the my Ferrari key out of my pocket so I took the keychain off the remote and tucked it in the center console where the key would go for easy access and a clean look.

15. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    #15 johnr265, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    The Forza controller is an exhaust valve controller that allows you to open or close the exhaust valves according to three programs on your remote control (or hardwired switch if you want). One program is stock, 2nd program is always open, and 3rd is always closed. The main difference is that at idle and at low throttle positions, the valves stay open keeping that glorious Ferrari sound all the time. It really helps to keep the car more engaging and raw. Stock at idle, the 488 almost sounds like a Honda Civic. With the valves open, it sounds 'proper'. Deep and menacing. On the road, it also sounds fantastic and doesn't drone as much as it did on the 458. I think it really makes the sound of the 488 dramatically better which has been a common complaint. Others have recently discussed "pinning" the valves permanently open which does work but then, when you WANT it to be quiet (coming into your neighborhood late at night or passing a cop without attacting even more attention), you can't close it like you can with a Forza controller. No check engine lights when properly installed and works great! No affiliation with the company BTW, just a happy customer.

DMantooth likes this.
  16. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Here's a quick video with the stock idle sound vs. valves open. Others have posted with revs too.

Senna2394, kandi and DMantooth like this.
  17. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    Sounds great. Any idea if installing the controller voids or affects the warranty?

18. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I think this technically depends on the dealer. I have heard some dealers tell people that it might but mine installs them so I can't imagine they would raise a fuss. For the other dealers, hard to understand why if they are willing to pin it open permanently that they wouldn't accept a controller. The only way I could see it causing a problem is if you ran if closed all the time and were driving the snot out of the car. I have heard that is not a great idea but there is really very little reason to do this anyway. Ultimately, the dealer would have to prove that the modification caused the failure you are trying to warranty (the so-called Magnuson-Moss law protects aftermarket modifications)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Wow! John this is a great write up. Very impressive.

DMantooth asked about voiding the warranty. The answer is, no. Back in 1975, Congress passed the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which among other things, prohibits a manufacturer from voiding the warranty because the consumer installs an after market part. Way back when, it was not unheard of for car manufacturers to void a warranty if the owner installed an after market exhaust system or something as innocuous as an after market radio. A manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. And, they are limited to only the part that they may claim was affected. They cannot void the car's warranty.

If a dealer were to lay that kind of claim, you can easily cite the act and call them out on that. As John stated, though, several Ferrari dealers are installing the Forza controller without any issues.

Regards,

Steve

ahamuser, Boomhauer and DMantooth like this.
  20. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    Had to listen again this am. What a difference!

How did you jack up your car? Any recommendations for jack, placement etc? I have another month or two before the weather changes so I have some time to install the controller. Thanks again for the great post.

PS. A pic of my new ride. Image Unavailable, Please Login

skyscorcher likes this.
  21. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    Had to listen again this am. What a difference!

How did you jack up your car? Any recommendations for jack, placement etc? I have another month or two before the weather changes so I have some time to install the controller. Thanks again for the great post.

PS. A pic of my new ride. Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Oh, by the way. If you have two free buttons on your Homelink pad, you can program the remote to those buttons. Typically program the buttons A and B to toggle between normal mode and always open.

Steve

DMantooth likes this.
  23. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    #23 johnr265, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    I have a lift but you can get a hydraulic aluminum floor jack from harbor freight for under $100 that should work just fine. There is a flat place in front of the rear wheels if you look under the car where there is no plastic tray and there is a circular metal nub with a screw thread inside. There is a special insert that can thread in there but you don't need it, as long as there is protective rubber on the jack or some folks use a hockey puck. I'll try to get pics later. Don't forget to use a jack stand, even if you just use it as a safety catch in case there is a jack failure. Belt and suspenders approach!

RobD likes this.
  24. Johnnugget

Johnnugget Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Nugget
    On the Spider, you can do it straight from the top without having to remove any part at all except for the engine bay covers.

25. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    John,

By any chance, did you consider the CAPRISTO EXHAUST CONTROLLER?

My local Ferrari dealership has them in stock and charges $1400 & change out the door for the controller & installation.

Wondering why you choose the Forza over the other available controllers.

Local Ferrari dealership said they didn't know if the Capristo remote could be programmed into the Homelink like someone posted in your post about the Forza.

You've got me jazzed up about adding a controller and are reducing the pain of having my new 488 garage bound.

Thanks in advance for your input.

pdxjim488 likes this.